Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant open file.

Options
  • 18-08-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

hi all.
    i got a programe from a mate of mine which works on his laptop.
    i copied it onto my usb stick and tried to open it on my laptop and it wont work.

it looks like this...

common file folder
    eng file folder
    adbcd.exe application
    open.bmp bitmap image
    scapllinterface.dll aplication extension.

as i said it works perfect on his lappy but nothing on mine.
    any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

As well as not having nearly enough info to help you.
    This isn't a programming question, or related to programming in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Pygmalion wrote: »
    As well as not having nearly enough info to help you.
    This isn't a programming question, or related to programming in any way.

sorry i didnt know where to post.
    as for the info when i open the common and eng files there is a list of commands etc as to which i have no clue.thats why i need some expertise.
    do you think you can help me.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Many modern applications won't work if you just copy the exe and even its folder. They have a lot of dependencies in Registry or System folders and so require a proper installation process (normally invoked by something like setup.exe) rather than just a copy'n'paste hack. If this particular app doesn't have any other dependencies except for the mentioned dll, you may get away by registering the dll with something similar to this command "regsvr32 scapllinterface.dll".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

none wrote: »
    Many modern applications won't work if you just copy the exe and even its folder. They have a lot of dependencies in Registry or System folders and so require a proper installation process (normally invoked by something like setup.exe) rather than just a copy'n'paste hack. If this particular app doesn't have any other dependencies except for the mentioned dll, you may get away by registering the dll with something similar to this command "regsvr32 scapllinterface.dll".

hello
    thanks for your time.
    what u said above about registering the two mentioned ,would this be completed by copy and paste.sorry but im no wizard on this subject.:)

if i was able to i would put all the info up here as there is alot of info under each heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Go to wherever your mate got the program from originally. If it's freeware you'll be able to download it - in fact if you just google the name of the program you should find a download link pretty easily.

Of course if it's not freeware and there is a licencing cost that you are trying to avoid that's a different matter. Not sure that programmers (who make thier living selling software) will give you much help on how to steal software!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement