Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland...€60 to park the car for 6 days and then €40 to jump start your car.

• 18-08-2009 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

In Dublin airport long term for 6 days and parking cost €64 and then predictably enough the car wouldnt start when we got in. €40 to jump start it they wanted. What a shower of pricks.

In any other country that would be a complimentary service for what must be a very common occurence. Luckily my brother had a dud credit card which im sure they discovered this morning. This country really would piss you off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

So you're too miserable to buy a new battery and then you give a dud card for helping you to get moving........whos the prick then..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

dats ireland, i dont understand why would people be such pr***s to each other...i hope dat lad who wanted 40e will need help someday and somebody will thell him RIGHT ,GUD LUK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Actually Max,I would agree with SAM here.
    This country is a discrace when it comes to charges. Is It any wonder that there are no tourists , when everything costs so much? Anyway, why shouldn't a jump start be free. 40EUR ....a little steep don't you think?
    Anyway, a lot of people wouldn't have any cash or money on them returning from holidays.
    I'm glad the card was a dud. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

So you're too miserable to buy a new battery and then you give a dud card for helping you to get moving........whos the prick then..?

you, by the sounds of things. Considering the cars battery has never died before on him and its a new enough car why would he buy a new battery?

Also, if you are an AA member which we are they wont allow them in to jump start your car. Complete scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cashmni1 wrote: »
    why shouldnl't a jump start be free
    Because they dotn have some guy that will ork for free sitting in the Long term car park 24 hrs a day waiting for someone to need a jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I stand by my post..guy uses a dud ( possibly stolen/cloned) card, probably used it on his holidays too...no sympathy from me....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Or you could look at it that they are providing you with a service and had to be called out to the broken down car. They are running a business not a charity and everything costs money. They have to buy the jump leads, or did they use a jumper pack, then drive out to where you broke down to jump start your car.

We don't know how many times a day the car park attendants, note not car recovery people, have to leave their job to jump start cars from people who don't prepare their car for being left idle for days on end with the alarm draining the battery.

If you have AA you are paying roughly €100 for the same service, alot of insurance companies offer free recovery services also, but you'd be waiting at least an hour to get a jump off them. And I'd rather spend €40 and be out straight away then waiting in the long term carpark for recovery.

Generally tourists won't be using the long term car park, as they'll have rentals to return not cars to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

why didn,t you just ask someone
    even a baggage handler would have got you jump started for free ,
    they know the daa are a rip of with charges .

if it was me i'd ask anyone especially in a car park full of cars .

Stekelly wrote: »
    Because they dotn have some guy that will ork for free sitting in the Long term car park 24 hrs a day waiting for someone to need a jump.

Then what is that guy who was there at the car within 2 mins doing if not waiting for exactly that? I also recall just handing them €64 for doing nothing other than allowing us park our car there. The least they could do is give us a jump after charging that sort of money.

Im going to assume that max headroom guy is a troll.

Internet warriors are a laughable bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah people would have given you a jumpstart if you asked.
    It's happened our old banger a few times and I've never been turned down :)

That's provided you have jump leads.
    And if you don't maybe security would lend them for a few minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Fly out from somewhere else, It'll be faster.
    Cork or Belfast.
    Never gonna fly from Dublin again, not EVER! Not standing up for dud guy,
    but at least he admits to ripping some one off. The DAA should be ashamed of them selves IMO.

why didn,t you just ask someone
    even a baggage handler would have got you jump started for free ,
    they know the daa are a rip of with charges .

if it was me i'd ask anyone especially in a car park full of cars .

it was 1AM and we waited a while but nobody we asked had leads. We got a few lads to push but no joy there either.

car rental place's are beside the car park
    you should have run over and asked one of them boys for jump leads .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If you just stayed in a hotel for 6 days and you had a flat battery would they charge you for a jump start?

No.

Because they're not a state monopoly, and know about a bit about customer service. And they don't have some guy sitting in the car park waiting working for free, jump starting cars either (Stekelly your unwavering defence of the govt, the state, and its instruments goes a bit far sometimes)

at least you asked i thouht you just seen the car was dead and followed the daa rules of robbing yourself lol

samsemtex wrote: »
    Then what is that guy who was there at the car within 2 mins doing if not waiting for exactly that?

Hence the €40 charge. Read my post. If you want the service for free, he most likely wont be around to provide it.

JHMEG wrote: »
    (Stekelly your unwavering defence of the govt, the state, and its instruments goes a bit far sometimes)

No, I just dont expect anything to be done for me for free,

My opinion would be the very same in a private car park.

An example being clampers. I fully support private carparks being allowed clamp cars. If you want to use their facilities , follow their rules. If you dont want to follow the rules, dotn use the facilities.
    And they don't have some guy sitting in the car park waiting working for free, jump starting cars either

Exactly, they have a guy that needs to be paid so they charge a fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jimalmodovarn

that's a big scam LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Do Ryanair run the car park aswell? I think its a disgrace to charge you that much to jump start your car,these things are bound to happen in a large airport car park every now and again

All they need is one of these ffs

poweradapters1(38).JPG

If you just stayed in a hotel for 6 days and you had a flat battery would they charge you for a jump start?

No.

Because they're not a state monopoly, and know about a bit about customer service. And they don't have some guy sitting in the car park waiting working for free, jump starting cars either (Stekelly your unwavering defence of the govt, the state, and its instruments goes a bit far sometimes)

Exactly.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Or you could look at it that they are providing you with a service and had to be called out to the broken down car. They are running a business not a charity and everything costs money. They have to buy the jump leads, or did they use a jumper pack, then drive out to where you broke down to jump start your car.

We don't know how many times a day the car park attendants, note not car recovery people, have to leave their job to jump start cars from people who don't prepare their car for being left idle for days on end with the alarm draining the battery.

You are already paying them a pretty steep fee for providing parking and lets face it, its not exactly a difficult service to provide someone. €40 is ridiculous. If they want to charge it should be a nominal fee to cover their costs and not some money making scam when they know its a service that a lot of people will require.

A car park attendant leaving their job to jump someone...how difficult that would be. They might actually have to do something and leave their little stall where they do absolutely nothing all day.

Exactly.

You are already paying them a pretty steep fee for providing parking and lets face it, its not exactly a difficult service to provide someone. €40 is ridiculous. If they want to charge it should be a nominal fee to cover their costs and not some money making scam when they know its a service that a lot of people will require.

A car park attendant leaving their job to jump someone...how difficult that would be. They might actually have to do something and leave their little stall where they do absolutely nothing all day.

+1

Plenty of people who work in retail would do backflips for a decent sale nowadays. €40 for a jump-start is just crazy IMO.

I hope you got a reciept. If not I suspect that 21% of that money you didn't pay him isn't going to the taxman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is €40 an official charge for this service? Is it written down somewhere?
    Personally I would have thought that the €64 parking charge should also cover services like jump starting. Both car parks near my old work place had Booster Packs on site. They charge for parking but not jump starting. I would have thought that flat batteries are very common in airport Long Term Car Parks, chargng for a jump start would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    I think it is disgraceful that a 3rd party such as the AA would not be let in.

The Irish used to be famous for going out of their way to help you, now the remiants of the Celtic Tiger has made us a greedier nation.

Hence the €40 charge. Read my post. If you want the service for free, he most likely wont be around to provide it.

No, I just dont expect anything to be done for me for free,

My opinion would be the very same in a private car park.

An example being clampers. I fully support private carparks being allowed clamp cars. If you want to use their facilities , follow their rules. If you dont want to follow the rules, dotn use the facilities.

Exactly, they have a guy that needs to be paid so they charge a fee.

So it would be a huge expense for them to have a little jump starter in the parking attendants office for customers convenience? Your the exact type of unhelpful so and so which is turning this country into the **** hole it is. Since when is asking for help in an unfortunate situation asking "something for nothing"?

If someones car happens to break down outside my house like it has often happened in the past, should i ask them for €20 to come in and use my phone? No and i wouldnt dream of it because im not an unhelpful tosser. I actually quite enjoy helping people when they are in a difficult bind.

Is €40 an official charge for this service? Is it written down somewhere?
    Personally I would have thought that the €64 parking charge should also cover services like jump starting. Both car parks near my old work place had Booster Packs on site. They charge for parking but not jump starting. I would have thought that flat batteries are very common in airport Long Term Car Parks, chargng for a jump start would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    I think it is disgraceful that a 3rd party such as the AA would not be let in.

The Irish used to be famous for going out of their way to help you, now the remiants of the Celtic Tiger has made us a greedier nation.

Well when you have such a delightful individual as Stekelly around is it any wonder a lot of people think we have lost our charm as a nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

yep, its an absolute scandal. People advertise parking charges and then actually expect you to pay the advertised rates when you return.
    As if that was not bad enough, they then will not take responsibility for your car not starting, like its not as though its your fault now is it? Must be their fault!

Dead right with the fraudulent credit card. That is obviously the correct way to sort this magnitude of injustice.

BTW. What do you feed the trolls around here? :)

tosser.

You've solved it, every problem this board has in one sentance, bluddy genius.

From now on let it be known ~ there shall be two plates available on cars. Ones with ' L ' on them and other with 'tosser' written on them.

For people who are learning to drive and another for people who have passed their test but are tossers.

Well when you have such a delightful individual as Stekelly around is it any wonder a lot of people think we have lost our charm as a nation?

Could be worse. I could be giving us a reputation to match the nigerian scammers by passing off dodgy credit cards.

Could be worse. I could be giving us a reputation to match the nigerian scammers by passing off dodgy credit cards.

so an old credit card is a dodgy one now is it?

I get the feeling your a unionised type or at least a public servant who could never contemplate doing something that isnt exactly within their terms of reference. God forbid they might actually have to do something not exactly defined in their contracts. Ugh, what a crap attitude to life you have.

Passing off a credit card you know doesnt work is dodgy. Make assumtions about me all you Like, they are all wrong anyway.

God forbid they might actually have to do something not exactly defined in their contracts. Ugh, what a crap attitude to life you have.

God forbid you might actually have to pay someone to provide you with a service.

If it happened outside the gate of the carpark, would you expect the AA to come jump start you for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I get the feeling your a unionised type or at least a public servant who could never contemplate doing something that isnt exactly within their terms of reference. God forbid they might actually have to do something not exactly defined in their contracts. Ugh, what a crap attitude to life you have.[/QUOTE

looks to name it's fine Sam no need to explode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

ireland is a rip off and the ****ing city centre law and order obiding high horse citizens are proud of it too. everything has a high price and a few laws regulating it.

Vote yes to lisbon

God forbid you might actually have to pay someone to provide you with a service.

I already did buddy. They are called the AA but thanks to the DAAs little scam they wont allow them in there to help us out.

I very much doubt my assumptions about you are wrong. You sound like a most unhelpful man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah sure, learn from your experiences and next time don't leave the lights on when you go on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

In Dublin airport long term for 6 days and parking cost €64 and then predictably enough the car wouldnt start when we got in. €40 to jump start it they wanted. What a shower of pricks.

In any other country that would be a complimentary service for what must be a very common occurence. Luckily my brother had a dud credit card which im sure they discovered this morning. This country really would piss you off.

If you had booked your parking online, you could have gotten it for €6.50 a day, which for 6 days is €39. Stop whining.

Dankoozy wrote: »

Vote yes to lisbon

Vote NO.

The majority of people in europe would vote no if asked.
    The majority of people in europe also wouldn't try to scam €40 off you either.
    Lisbon's just another way to make scaming easier IMO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

testicle wrote: »
    If you had booked your parking online, you could have gotten it for 6.50 a day, which for 6 days is 39. Stop whining.

Its still a mother ****ing rip off, book your parking online? What ****ing planet are you on you ignorant inner city urbanite idealist? Get back into your Google Autonomobile and have it drive you back to the 1 bedroom apartment you came out of and dont be annoying the rest of us *true* motoring enthousiasts not ****ing urbanites with some idealised vision of how the government and corporations willl create some over regulated urban utopia that you're after

• Advertisement

Its still a mother ****ing rip off, book your parking online? What ****ing planet are you on you ignorant inner city urbanite idealist? Get back into your Google Autonomobile and have it drive you back to the 1 bedroom apartment you came out of and dont be annoying the rest of us *true* motoring enthousiasts not ****ing urbanites with some idealised vision of how the government and corporations willl create some over regulated urban utopia that you're after

I'm voting for you !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I park in quick park for €7.50 a day. You can park in DDA long term for €5.50. You do the maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

squod wrote: »
    Vote NO.

The majority of people in europe would vote no if asked.
    The majority of people in europe also wouldn't try to scam €40 off you either.
    Lisbon's just another way to make scaming easier IMO .

Is this the politics forum? Any more of that off-topic nonsense and people will be getting infractions
    Take a weeks break for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I already did buddy. They are called the AA but thanks to the DAAs little scam they wont allow them in there to help us out.

I very much doubt my assumptions about you are wrong. You sound like a most unhelpful man.

So you have a problem paying someone for a service when your car isn't working but you are willing to pay someone much more for a working car:confused::confused:

The fee is €60 for parking, which you agreed to by entering the car park and taking a ticket. Nowhere on the ticket does it say jumpstarting is free. If you want a free jump start then buy jumpleads and nearly everyone with a car will give you a jump. If you don't want to buy jump leads then use the AA, which you have, so what was to stop you pushing your car from the car park for AA to turn up when you where told they can't come in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

did you ever buy anyone a round in your life....

40e total scam for jumping a bleedin car and whats even worse is the daa not allowing the aa into the car park

unreal

dodgy cc fair play... wish everyone used them for scams like this, Ireland is really gone down the drain in recent years, this pretty much sums it up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

did you ever buy anyone a round in your life....

40e total scam for jumping a bleedin car and whats even worse is the daa not allowing the aa into the car park

unreal

dodgy cc fair play... wish everyone used them for scams like this, Ireland is really gone down the drain in recent years, this pretty much sums it up

Could you not have pushed the car out of the car parl
    k? There is more than one solution. Use your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Now there is a serious business idea. Buy two jump packs and sit outside the car park. €5 a jump.

I've always thought the airport is a rip-off. Every aspect of it. €40 for a jump is very steep. I certainly wouldn't have paid it. I would have ran the car to the enterance and put on the brakes. Rang the AA and jumped from over the barrier.

I would expect the jump to be free for a €64. Imagine milk was extra in a coffee shop or that a toll was surcharged based on your cars weight? I'm sorry but it doesn't cost €40 to have a man waiting in the wings with is jump pack. Sure, two fares of €64 would cover him for at least 10 hours and thats well above minimum wage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

No.
    Er, yes.

Honestly, what planet are some people on? OMG, my car won't start, don't bother calling a mechanic, call your solicitor and commence legal proceedings for embarrassment and loss of earnings.

Jesus wept, what insurance policy DOESN'T come with breakdown assist these days?

€40 for a call-out is cheap. Typical Irish attitude expecting someone else to come around and deal with your problem...for FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Jeez I hate boards sometimes with the holier than thou type posts, the posts from SteKelly really would wither the bollix off you.

Find it very hard to believe if he was in the same situation he's say thanks so much with a big stupid grin.

Ireland is really gone down the drain in recent years,this pretty much sums it up

dodgy cc fair play... wish everyone used them for scams like this,

It really does, doesnt it.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I would expect the jump to be free for a €64.

So if my car works fine, what do I get for free for the fee I agreed to pay when entering a carpark?

I'm sorry but it doesn't cost €40 to have a man waiting in the wings with is jump pack..

How much would you expect to be paid to go to Dublin ariport at 1am to jumpsatart a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Er, yes.

€40 for a call-out is cheap. Typical Irish attitude expecting someone else to come around and deal with your problem...for FREE.

Its not a call out they work at the airport anyway. Plus as he said they wont allow AA in to help out so its a money making thing. Can you imagine if it happened to a tourist? Spread the word Ireland of 1000 welcomes :rolleyes:

Arathorn wrote: »
    Its not a call out they work at the airport anyway. Plus as he said they wont allow AA in to help out so its a money making thing. Can you imagine if it happened to a tourist? Spread the word Ireland of 1000 welcomes :rolleyes:

We're probably safe enough so. Dont think many tourists bring their cars over on the plane then leave them in the long term car park.

kearnsr wrote: »
    Could you not have pushed the car out of the car parl
    k? There is more than one solution. Use your head

Do you fancy pushing a 2tonne car about 600metres through rough potholed gravel and what not at 1AM. There were only 2 of us and i wasnt going asking the lads who helped us push it to push it to the exit. They prob would have in fairness because they were obliging lads. Still wouldnt have felt good asking them though.
    Now there is a serious business idea. Buy two jump packs and sit outside the car park. €5 a jump.

I've always thought the airport is a rip-off. Every aspect of it. €40 for a jump is very steep. I certainly wouldn't have paid it. I would have ran the car to the enterance and put on the brakes. Rang the AA and jumped from over the barrier.

I would expect the jump to be free for a €64. Imagine milk was extra in a coffee shop or that a toll was surcharged based on your cars weight? I'm sorry but it doesn't cost €40 to have a man waiting in the wings with is jump pack. Sure, two fares of €64 would cover him for at least 10 hours and thats well above minimum wage too.

Exactly its not as if you need a highly skilled technician to do a jump. Im just amazed at how unhelpful some people are. In private business when a customer needs a favour it is often done free of charge in the name of goodwill. No such thing is done by government agencies and im amazed by the amount of people who support it not being done by DAA.

What may i ask is a good reason for DAA not allowing the AA in stekelly? C'mon id love to hear your reason. I suppose there is the risk the AA driver might just be looking for free parking in an elaborate ploy...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Del2005 wrote: »
    So you have a problem paying someone for a service when your car isn't working but you are willing to pay someone much more for a working car:confused::confused:

The fee is €60 for parking, which you agreed to by entering the car park and taking a ticket. Nowhere on the ticket does it say jumpstarting is free. If you want a free jump start then buy jumpleads and nearly everyone with a car will give you a jump. If you don't want to buy jump leads then use the AA, which you have, so what was to stop you pushing your car from the car park for AA to turn up when you where told they can't come in?
    He paid for the AA, as a service,for when the car breaks down. I for one, never knew until I read this thread that the AA were not allowed into the car park of Dublin airport. So, I think he was within his rights feeling annoyed at the fact that he did not get the service he was paying for. - Maybe the AA have some responsibility to inform their members of this little "glitch".
    I don't really think that it would be too much to ask for a jump at 1 am in the morning from either the security guards or DAA staff. Come on, the guy simply didn't have jump leads and wanted a jump.
    As for pushing the car out to the road.......have you seen the size of the car park? It could have been miles away.
    Regardless, it is a scam not allowing the AA in to start the OP's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Lol, at thinking you wont get charged for an out of date credit card. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055636225

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement