Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland...€60 to park the car for 6 days and then €40 to jump start your car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

samsemtex wrote: »

Exactly its not as if you need a highly skilled technician to do a jump. Im just amazed at how unhelpful some people are. In private business when a customer needs a favour it is often done free of charge in the name of goodwill. No such thing is done by government agencies and im amazed by the amount of people who support it not being done by DAA.

Home many free favours would you do for your customers each day before you stopped because it was eating into your time and money?

What may i ask is a good reason for DAA not allowing the AA in stekelly? C'mon id love to hear your reason. I suppose there is the risk the AA driver might just be looking for free parking in an elaborate ploy...:rolleyes:

No idea , I dont work for the DAA, you'd have to ask them.

Has anyone in the AA thought of buying a ticket at the automated machine and charging the customer the €7.50 or €9.50 it costs (might even be free if they are in and out quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

cashmni1 wrote: »
    He paid for the AA, as a service,for when the car breaks down. I for one, never knew until I read this thread that the AA were not allowed into the car park of Dublin airport. So, I think he was within his rights feeling annoyed at the fact that he did not get the service he was paying for. - Maybe the AA have some responsibility to inform their members of this little "glitch".
    I don't really think that it would be too much to ask for a jump at 1 am in the morning from either the security guards or DAA staff. Come on, the guy simply didn't have jump leads and wanted a jump.
    As for pushing the car out to the road.......have you seen the size of the car park? It could have been miles away.
    Regardless, it is a scam not allowing the AA in to start the OP's car.

+1

Can't believe some people out there disagree with this reasoning. Wait 'till it happens to you.

Fly from Belfast as I said it's still faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

So you're too miserable to buy a new battery and then you give a dud card for helping you to get moving........whos the prick then..?

WTF???

I'm sure if there was a halfords located in the carpark of dublin airport, the OP would have bought a new battery ... a bit of cop on would tell you that there isn't, so how does that solve the problem??????

They didn't HELP him get moving. They wanted a huge sum of money in exchange for a service that costs them nothing. They were charging him for this because they knew he couldn't get help elsewhere, and it wasn't enough for them that he had just paid them €64!! I would call that extortion!!!

OP - I dont agree with you giving them a dud card, and I suspect thats not the last you have heard of the situation - your car has been parked there for 6 days so theres a very good chance they have your reg number.

However, its attidudes like this posters imo that has landed us with this kind of shite service. Why would they give us a good service when some people clearly don't think we deserve it!!!

He paid for the AA, as a service,for when the car breaks down. I for one, never knew until I read this thread that the AA were not allowed into the car park of Dublin airport. So, I think he was within his rights feeling annoyed at the fact that he did not get the service he was paying for. - Maybe the AA have some responsibility to inform their members of this little "glitch".
    I don't really think that it would be too much to ask for a jump at 1 am in the morning from either the security guards or DAA staff. Come on, the guy simply didn't have jump leads and wanted a jump.
    As for pushing the car out to the road.......have you seen the size of the car park? It could have been miles away.

Who said anythign about the AA not being allowed in or defended it? It wasnt even mentioned in the OP. The issue was about expecting someone to come jumpstart his car at 1am for free.

Who cares if the DAA's reasoning is that they just dotn want to provide the servie for free? They can run their car park the way they want.There are othe roptions if you want to park elsewhere.

Has anyone checked to see if the other private car parks offer the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Stekelly wrote: »
    We're probably safe enough so. Dont think many tourists bring their cars over on the plane then leave them in the long term car park.

Ahah fair point, but still a reputation gets around. I'd love to know if other airports around the world do the same. I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think im missing something here. They charged you the going rate for parking. I assume you knew what this rate was when you decided to avail of their facilities. Now this 60 odd euro charge was for storing your car, ferrying you and your pasengers to the terminal & taking you back to the carpark again in a pretty efficient manner. They provided this service as expected. You cannot assume they will offer you additional services for nothing.
    If you wanted your car started for free, you could have put yourself out a little by looking around the car park, asking people if they would help etc. You didnt do this, you went for the easy way out.... get someone else to do it for you instead.
    You simply cannot expect to not pay for this. He didnt force his service on you.
    The worst thing about this whole thing is the fraudulent payment method. You do know they take your reg for future reference in case of claims for damage to electrical system. Expect a nice letter in the post.
    If I returned to a dead battery, if I had the option of hanging around for an hour for AA or searching for free help from other travelers, I would most likely consider the 40 euro charge quite reasonable and would be thankful that they were available on the spot.
    Most people would give 20 euro to anybody who would jump start a car for them just as a thank you. Obviously not you. People like you annoy me. I can just picture you trying to get away without paying everyone you can get away with. God help anyone who does a casual job for you without a contract. I guess your standard response is "f*ck off, sue me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Home many free favours would you do for your customers each day before you stopped because it was eating into your time and money?

No idea , I dont work for the DAA, you'd have to ask them.

Has anyone in the AA thought of buying a ticket at the automated machine and charging the customer the €7.50 or €9.50 it costs (might even be free if they are in and out quick enough.

Plenty, its called customer service. You've just got a crap attitude. I read a post you made in some other thread where you make it pretty clear you view all customer complaints with contempt. And that they are just being difficult and taking up your valuable time.

Secondly even if i had the same **** attitude to my customers that you have, i dont see how me buzzing an AA truck through the gates (and remember im a parking attendant so i wouldnt even have to be doing anything outside of my job description!!) would be taking up a parking attendants valuable time. Its such a taxing job afterall. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Also, if you are an AA member which we are they wont allow them in to jump start your car.
    Do you mean that they'll expect the AA van to take a ticket or that they won't let them in at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

mickdw wrote: »
    I think im missing something here.

Yes, you are. How about the part where i said i got a few lads to help us push it, where i said it was 1 am and the part where i said anyone we asked had no jump cables? Read the thread.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do you mean that they'll expect the AA van to take a ticket or that they won't let them in at all?

even the ticket would be cheaper than the €40

I dont see how they could stop them taking a ticket from an automated machine and paying in another automated machien on the way out.

They most likely wouldnt have even know the AA had been in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

YOUR BEST BET IS TO PARK IN ONE OF THE HOTEL CARPARKS FOR A FRACTION OF WHAT THESE MONGRELS CHARGE.I AM A BUS DRIVER AND THEY EVEN CHARGE ME FOR DROPPING A GROUP TO THE AIRPORT.AER LINGUS ARE DISGUSTING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

isnt knowingly useing a dud credit card / writing a bad cheque actually fraud?

you wanted a service that was nothing to do with parking your car so you have to pay. and who told you that the aa cant go into the long term car park? i think there is no legal reason they cant except they will have to pay for parking in the car park and from the sound of it the OP wouldent have paid for that so shame you want your car running you pay the jumpstarter.

and its low to pay the guy with a dud card i hope that comes back to bite you in the ass

Plenty, its called customer service. You've just got a crap attitude. I read a post you made in some other thread where you make it pretty clear you view all customer complaints with contempt. And that they are just being difficult and taking up your valuable time.:

You obviously didnt read it propely so because I've never said that at all. What I have said and stick by is not agreeing with compnaies rolling over to help difficult arsehole customers who complain to get as much free stuff as possible.

So this claim,
    Also, if you are an AA member which we are they wont allow them in to jump start your car.
    which appears to have been accepted as fact, is actually untrue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Who said anythign about the AA not being allowed in or defended it? It wasnt even mentioned in the OP. The issue was about expecting someone to come jumpstart his car at 1am for free.

Who cares if the DAA's reasoning is that they just dotn want to provide the servie for free? They can run their car park the way they want.There are othe roptions if you want to park elsewhere.

Has anyone checked to see if the other private car parks offer the service?
    Correct, it was not mentioned in the OP but it was stated by the DAA to the OP. -- I just apologize if I am wrong. --

When you ask what service he wanted for free, I would assume that the OP wanted his AA subscription, to cover this. He has already paid for a service, from the AA which includes starting your car.

Am I missing something here?

The OP paid for a service, and was not allowed that service in the car park. Where is the Grey area?
    Its a scam.
    Oh, and yes, if the AA had to pay a fee to get in and out of the car park, I would have no problem paying for that, but not 40 bucks.

So this claim, which appears to have been accepted as fact, is actually untrue?
    Maybe there should be some clarity on this before we go any further.

Correct, it was not mentioned in the OP but it was stated by the DAA to the OP.

Dont know if it was. He says a couple of times that the DAA dont let them in but he doesnt say if thats what the AA said when he rang them or if he asked the car park attendant or if he rang the AA at all.

Correct, it was not mentioned in the OP but it was stated by the DAA to the OP. -- I just apologize if I am wrong. --

When you ask what service he wanted for free, I would assume that the OP wanted his AA subscription, to cover this. He has already paid for a service, from the AA which includes starting your car.

Am I missing something here?

The OP paid for a service, and was not allowed that service in the car park. Where is the Grey area?
    Its a scam.
    Oh, and yes, if the AA had to pay a fee to get in and out of the car park, I would have no problem paying for that, but not 40 bucks.
    Any chance of something to back this up? I'm having some difficulty believing that the AA are barred from entering DAA car parks. As has been asked before, why couldn't the AA just take a ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Again, the OP has no problem paying roughly €100 a year for a perfectly fine car. The car breaks down and the AA can't get to it. So they want someone else to start the car for free when they are willing to pay the AA much more when the car is working:confused:

The DAA car parks are all flat. Once you get the car moving a person could easly push it 600m to the gate for the AA to jump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lads - I'd like to clarify a few things.

The jump starting and many other mechanical services are put out to tender by the DAA. It is the AA who have the contract and who charge €40 and they specifically state that it does not apply to existing AA members.

The price is chargeable is posted in various spots around the car park zones with the call out number.

(Until 2004, the DAA provided the service and charged €10).

Plenty, its called customer service. You've just got a crap attitude. I read a post you made in some other thread where you make it pretty clear you view all customer complaints with contempt. And that they are just being difficult and taking up your valuable time.

hmmmm its not him comeing off with a crap attitude
    Secondly even if i had the same **** attitude to my customers that you have, i dont see how me buzzing an AA truck through the gates (and remember im a parking attendant so i wouldnt even have to be doing anything outside of my job description!!) would be taking up a parking attendants valuable time. Its such a taxing job afterall. :rolleyes:

the airport authority sets the rules for its employees and one lone rouge carpark attendant decides to strike one blow for the revolution by buzzing in the aa guy then the aa guy accidentally dings a car / trips / wets himself / whatever and it gets the attention of someone that has to reveiw the cctv footage and its seen that the aa guy didnt take a ticket. que lone revolusionista on the dole all because you didnt offer to pay the fee for the aa to get in.................

ive helped ppl in the long term car park and youve got 15 mins before the charges kick in ..... the moral is work fast

also a dead battery after 1 week? does that indicate there might be a fault somewhere?

bogs wrote: »
    YOUR BEST BET IS TO PARK IN ONE OF THE HOTEL CARPARKS FOR A FRACTION OF WHAT THESE MONGRELS CHARGE.I AM A BUS DRIVER AND THEY EVEN CHARGE ME FOR DROPPING A GROUP TO THE AIRPORT.AER LINGUS ARE DISGUSTING.

So you're a professional, maybe self employed, person.
    Let's say for arguments sake that one of your valued customers was looking for a jump.
    Would you

A: Charge him €31 + vat, and put the transaction through on your swipe machine.
    Or
    B: Save yourself the time and expense of owning and running a swipe card reader and just give the poor fella a jump in the hope his custom will return again.

The jump starting and many other mechanical services are put out to tender by the DAA. It is the AA who have the contract and who charge €40 and they specifically state that it does not apply to existing AA members.

The price is chargeable is posted in various spots around the car park zones with the call out number.

There you have it folks.

I cant see many people argueing that €40 is a lot to be charged for someone to come to your rescue at 1am.

Maybe there should be some clarity on this before we go any further.
    It's pretty central alright. As I see it the DAA are free to charge whatever they like for a jump start, but barring the AA from entry would not be on. The OP's attempt at CC fraud is, of course, shameful.

RE: the ticket - a ticket can be pulled and reinserted for exit without charge within 45 minutes. Even if this time has elapsed, CCTV will enable the staff in car park control to see who is waiting to exit and raise the barrier. It ain't rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Actually Max,I would agree with SAM here.
    This country is a discrace when it comes to charges. Is It any wonder that there are no tourists , when everything costs so much? Anyway, why shouldn't a jump start be free. 40EUR ....a little steep don't you think?
    Anyway, a lot of people wouldn't have any cash or money on them returning from holidays.
    I'm glad the card was a dud. :P
    Yes man, you're damn right. Unfortunately looks like "ripping-off" is kind of national tradition here. :mad:

I think samsemtex (who said that they were AA members) may have a little explaining to do..

Samsemtex, if they did provide the service free but the guy did it wrong and blew your battery or the electrics in your car, who would you be blaming? Would you pass it off because it was a free service?

Classic, so the AA provide the service in the airport but won't let their own vans in. What would happen then if the OP had pushed their car to the road? Will the AA not come out or will the lad from the car park jump as part of the membership?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Classic, so the AA provide the service in the airport but won't let their own vans in. What would happen then if the OP had pushed their car to the road? Will the AA not come out or will the lad from the car park jump as part of the membership?
    Read the quote again - the €40 charge does not apply to existing AA members.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Either someone is being economical with the truth or someone posed as a Rescue Van man.

When the AA took the contract first, they used to send in the full emergency tow-away type AA vans to each call out. Then then realised that, as most of the calls related to flat batteries, there was no need and used to send in a little van with AA stickers on the side (possibly an agent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

They are running a business, its either charge €40 to the stupid people with dud batteryies or charge everyone a few extra euro for something else. I'm glad its the way it is.

Any chance of something to back this up? I'm having some difficulty believing that the AA are barred from entering DAA car parks. As has been asked before, why couldn't the AA just take a ticket?
    I think Wishbone Ash has cleared all this up now.
    It was my point really, that the DAA wouldn't allow the AA in, which is what I was let to believe.
    I must apologize for jumping the gun and assuming that this was the case.

Still, I think 40 nickers is still a rip off mind you, posted around the car park or not.

Its free at Shannon airport!!

http://www.shannonairport.com/facilities/

A free jump start facility is available to car park customers, this can be obtained by availing of the help telephones located at the exits of the car parks or by contacting +353 (0)87 6895679.

Big difference between €40 and free even if Dublin is much bigger.

Arathorn wrote: »

http://www.shannonairport.com/facilities/

A free jump start facility is available to car park customers, this can be obtained by availing of the help telephones located at the exits of the car parks or by contacting +353 (0)87 6895679.

Big difference between €40 and free even if Dublin is much bigger.

Fancy that, free jump start. Shannon do it for free.

Would anyone like to retract their remarks now?

squod wrote: »

About what?

The DAA use the AA in Dublin and the charge is €40. If thats the way they want it then so be it.

Maybe samsemtex would like to retract or clarify his because he made lots of untrue statements about the AA not being allowed in and If he had discussed the AA situation with someone he woudl have known it was free for him as an AA member.

Fancy that, free jump start. Shannon do it for free.

great except

a) he wasnt parked in shannon

b) its clearly marked €40 charge in dublin airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brudge83

One thing I will say is that I do think its a rip off, however I have worked somewhere where I have been in charge of the carpark, and there are a couple of rules that I had to stick by, but the one that was the most important is under no circumstances could I allow anybody to have their battery jumped, the reason for this being is the amount of cases brought against companies because of electronics being ruined in a car due to jump leads being used another thing was that this would add huge premiums to a companies insurance policy as damage is very possible for both the car and the person helping. It was just the same when people asked for help with changing a wheel, we just had to say no. Believe me everybody says they will take the risk of something happening but if something does happen attitudes soon change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

In Dublin airport long term for 6 days and parking cost €64 and then predictably enough the car wouldnt start when we got in. €40 to jump start it they wanted. What a shower of pricks.

In any other country that would be a complimentary service for what must be a very common occurence. Luckily my brother had a dud credit card which im sure they discovered this morning. This country really would piss you off.

That will work for sure because they totally don't have cameras watching and linking every ticket to exit to a registration plate.

There you have it folks.

I cant see many people argueing that €40 is a lot to be charged for someone to come to your rescue at 1am.

So, as I said, I do believe it's a lot and Shannon Airport believe that too.

Read the quote again - the €40 charge does not apply to existing AA members.
    Either someone is being economical with the truth or someone posed as a Rescue Van man.

When the AA took the contract first, they used to send in the full emergency tow-away type AA vans to each call out. Then then realised that, as most of the calls related to flat batteries, there was no need and used to send in a little van with AA stickers on the side (possibly an agent).

I miss read Wishbone Ash's post, thanks for pointing out my mistake.:o

So, as I said, I do believe it's a lot and Shannon Airport believe that too.

The DAA run Shannon too.

How much would you expect to pay and recieve as a callout to go to Dublin airport and jumpstart a car?

never been there but how big is shannon and do all flights tio the us STILL have to route through there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hence the €40 charge. Read my post. If you want the service for free, he most likely wont be around to provide it.

No, I just dont expect anything to be done for me for free,

My opinion would be the very same in a private car park.

An example being clampers. I fully support private carparks being allowed clamp cars. If you want to use their facilities , follow their rules. If you dont want to follow the rules, dotn use the facilities.

Exactly, they have a guy that needs to be paid so they charge a fee.

Nothing to do with rules. As I said a hotel wouldn't charge for it, but in this case a state agency did.

If you're gonna run a car park be prepared to provide the kind of services the paying customers might need (for "free")
    Arathorn wrote:
    Even more ironic as the Dublin Airport Authority effectively owns Shannon and Cork airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

brudge83 wrote: »
    Believe me everybody says they will take the risk of something happening but if something does happen attitudes soon change.

that is very true
    but if i was workin in a car park and some old woman had a flat
    come on have a heart

or better still some young one with a big pair of :D
    not everyone is heartless and to busy to help
    rules are rules i know but they can be bent now and again.

JHMEG wrote: »
    If you're gonna run a car park be prepared to provide the kind of services the paying customers might need.

They do provide the service. They just charge for it. Thats perfectly reasonable. The AA are not going to do it for free.

Theres plenty of cons to the hap hazard have a pair of cabels hanging aroudn method as outlined in brudge83's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They do provide the service. They just charge for it. Thats perfectly reasonable. The AA are not going to do it for free.
    It can be done for free. Shannon airport do it as do hotels.

That's good customer service, not Celtic Tiger lets rip the ar$e out of it

Theres plenty of cons to the hap hazard have a pair of cabels hanging aroudn method as outlined in brudge83's post.

Can't be that bad if Shannon can manage it. Its all money money money. Fair enough they can charge what they like, doesn't mean people have to be happy about it or not complain.

The DAA run Shannon too.

How much would you expect to pay and recieve as a callout to go to Dublin airport and jumpstart a car?

So the DAA run Shannon and the servce there is free.

Right, so I guess I'd expect that since they own Dublin also the charge would be

eh..............

free!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement