Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland...€60 to park the car for 6 days and then €40 to jump start your car.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »
    It can be done for free. Shannon airport do it as do hotels.

That's good customer service, not Celtic Tiger lets rip the ar$e out of it

and what of the cons? who covers those?

If the car park guy blows the crap out of the electrics in your 100k 7 series or S class, whos going to pay for that? Would you pass it off because it was good custmer service?

If the guy juscks up the car at the worng point and bends the crap out of it, will you suck it up?

The fact is that the AA do the service at Dublin and they need to be paid.

It's potentially a huge amount of cars to be looking after in Dublin for a free service.

The same situation could be on the way to Shannon for all we know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Facilities available to Car Park customers include a complimentary jump-starting service and air and water facilities.

http://www.corkairport.com/to_from/parking.html

So the DAA's reason for charging in Dublin is looking less and less justifiable...

Stekelly wrote: »
    and what of the cons? who covers those?

If the car park guy blows the crap out of the electrics in your 100k 7 series or S class, whos going to pay for that? Would you pass it off because it was good custmer service?

If the guy juscks up the car at the worng point and bends the crap out of it, will you suck it up?

Don't be so naive. That's what insurance is for.

Whos insurance?

Whos insurance?

Stop pretending now! Public liability and all that sort of stuff, which they have regardless of providing jump starts etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

never been there but how big is shannon and do all flights tio the us STILL have to route through there?

Not since the Open Skies initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

LADS FFS DUBLIN CHARGE FOR THE SERVICE GET OVER IT

if you want free jump starts fly from cork or shannon simple. in dublin they advertise that it costs €40 , am i the only person that gets this? it was 1am he needed a jump start. i would be happy to pay that at 1am if it meant id get home.

also for cheap motor insurance go to www.comparethemarket.com but to compare meerkats go to www.comparethemeerkat.com so dont go ringing www.comparethemeerkat.com about there crap line in car insurance ok!

Stop pretending now! Public liability and all that sort of stuff, which they have regardless of providing jump starts etc...

I'd assume this costs more when they are now providing a service that invloves contact (which I'd assuem they'd want trained people to perform) with peoples expensive property. The free service to the customers is now costing money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well If I turn up at my audi dealer with 10k worth of blown electronics, my insurance co will not pay this. Neither will Audi. So what do you mean.
    edit I see you mean DAA insurance, what insurance company will cover an idiot parking attendant to carry out work (possibly on a 200k car) which he has no training for and is quite likely to cause thousands worth of damage. This is why AA are contracted to do this. They can obtain insurance more readily as they are all trained for the work hence the charge

I'd assume this costs more when they are now providing a service that invloves contact (which I'd assuem they'd want trained people to perform) with peoples expensive property.
    Possibly not. Depends on what they are paying for already and who they are dealing with. I negotiated a large policy recently and got more cover for less money (around 40% less) than last year.

• Advertisement

samsemtex wrote: »
    Yes, you are. How about the part where i said i got a few lads to help us push it, where i said it was 1 am and the part where i said anyone we asked had no jump cables? Read the thread.

Eh no. for your info, pushing will not start a completely flat battery.
    Also, if you want it for free you should be happy to stick around for an hour or two. That would surely locate someone with a set of leads. 1am or 1pm wouldnt make a huge difference around dublin airport as plenty people milling around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

People wanna pay for it, Ive heard it all now.

It's free everywhere else but some people are determined.

Determined to pay for it. Let them.

Let them call the shots for everyone else also.

Never flying from Dublin, not ever.

I just thought of something. The OP gave the bad credit card to the AA man if the info in this thread is correct. Now he says he is a member so the AA will have his nama & address from his reg.
    Now its most likely he wouldnt have had to pay the AA at all if he had just asked the question. It would be quite funny if he got into all sorts of trouble now over the bad card whereas if he had paid them properly, Im sure he could have had a refund.
    OP is gone very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

mickdw wrote: »
    I just thought of something. The OP gave the bad credit card to the AA man if the info in this thread is correct. Now he says he is a member so the AA will have his nama & address from his reg.
    Now its most likely he wouldnt have had to pay the AA at all if he had just asked the question. It would be quite funny if he got into all sorts of trouble now over the bad card whereas if he had paid them properly, Im sure he could have had a refund.
    OP is gone very quiet.

Im pretty sure he gave the airport car park lads the dodgy card as they wouldnt even let the AA into the car park to get to his car in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The-Game wrote: »
    Im pretty sure he gave the airport car park lads the dodgy card as they wouldnt even let the AA into the car park to get to his car in the first place.
    How is it that people can find time to post an opinion but not to read through the thread first?
    Lads - I'd like to clarify a few things.

The jump starting and many other mechanical services are put out to tender by the DAA. It is the AA who have the contract and who charge €40 and they specifically state that it does not apply to existing AA members.

The price is chargeable is posted in various spots around the car park zones with the call out number.

(Until 2004, the DAA provided the service and charged €10).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Because they dotn have some guy that will ork for free sitting in the Long term car park 24 hrs a day waiting for someone to need a jump.

For the relatively small number of people that require the service it should be included free as good customer service. €40 for a jump start is extortionate amount to pay for a service that takes 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Quickpark are a private parking place near Dublin Airport. Their website says:
    If you need assistance with a puncture, jump start or even a breakdown we will be there to get your problem sorted.
    It doesn't say they'll do it for free, though.

Luckily my brother had a dud credit card which im sure they discovered this morning. .

I quoted this in case you realize <snip> you are for putting this up on an open forum and delete it later. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

The DAA run Shannon too.

How much would you expect to pay and recieve as a callout to go to Dublin airport and jumpstart a car?

I dont get how you dont understand this. They dont have to do a full call out. They could simply have a starter kit there as they do in Shannon and do it for free or maybe charge a tenner or something nominal like that. Its something i would imagine happens at least a few times a day. You pay for parking the least they can do is help you when you have a flat battery. If they can afford to "risk" jumping peoples battery in Shannon then i dont see why they cant do it in Dublin.

As for the AA thing, my brother asked they said €40 please and one of our people will start it for you. He asked about the AA and your man said no it has to be their lads. Having the AA come in by getting them a ticket would work i suppose but you dont always think of these things when you are on the spot and a little frustrated at what you have just been told your parking for 5 days will cost you €100 incl your jump.

Stekelly i'd say you would be delighted if it happened you.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    OP is gone very quiet.

I went very quiet because i have a life and went to bed.

As for the previous comment. How does the battery being dead fully have anything to do with me asking for a push or asking for jump leads? Also the battery didnt appear completely dead as a lot of the lights were still coming on. And as i said we asked the few people that were around and none had jump leads. I suppose im lying about that now am i?
    RoverJames wrote: »
    I quoted this in case you realize how big a retard you are for putting this up on an open forum and delete it later. :D

Yeah, id say the guards will be tracking down boards.ie moderators and drawing up a list of eircom users as we speak trying to lacate us...:rolleyes: Cheers for the insult by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Could always buy this and not have to be dependant on other people to help start the car ever and always be able to sort out a flat tyre :-/

If your going to depend on someone elses help when your stranded, there is always the chance they'll want you to pay for their time and help.

If Shannon do it for free, I'm guessing they don't have the same volume of traffic and probably someone who does another job can cover it when the even occurs. In Dublin, it is probably a dedicated job so has to cover its costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There's too much personal abuse on this thread. Be civil please.
    whos the prick then..?
    Your the exact type of unhelpful so and so which is turning this country into the **** hole it is.
    ...i wouldnt dream of it because im not an unhelpful tosser.
    Well when you have such a delightful individual as Stekelly around is it any wonder a lot of people think we have lost our charm as a nation?
    Ugh, what a crap attitude to life you have.
    Dankoozy wrote: »
    Its still a mother ****ing rip off...
    blah blah blah
    ...create some over regulated urban utopia that you're after
    did you ever buy anyone a round in your life....
    Arathorn wrote: »
    Jeez I hate boards sometimes with the holier than thou type posts, the posts from SteKelly really would wither the bollix off you.

Find it very hard to believe if he was in the same situation he's say thanks so much with a big stupid grin.
    bogs wrote: »
    AER LINGUS ARE DISGUSTING.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    I quoted this in case you realize <snip> you are for putting this up on an open forum and delete it later.

Bannings will be swift if it keeps up.

thebman wrote: »
    Could always buy this and not have to be dependant on other people to help start the car ever and always be able to sort out a flat tyre :-/

If your going to depend on someone elses help when your stranded, there is always the chance they'll want you to pay for their time and help.

If Shannon do it for free, I'm guessing they don't have the same volume of traffic and probably someone who does another job can cover it when the even occurs. In Dublin, it is probably a dedicated job so has to cover its costs.

Just looked up car parking in London Heathrow, all car parks i could find information for provide free battery charge and may of them provide free wheel changing.

Manchester airport provides an identical service. So if these airports which are much much busier than Dublin airport can do it for free then why cant Dublin?

And apparantly so do Belfast, Cork and Shannon. Yet Dublin cant because it is such a big, bad and dangerous place where cars routinely explode when attached to jumper cables...

How does the battery being dead fully have anything to do with me asking for a push.

Because a fully dead car will not start with a push as you have no power to fire any of the electrical systems.

If it had some power,its a different story but I dont think you said that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I park in Quick Park any time I fly out of Dublin. They're the reason the scumbags DAA reduced their price in the first place, and you can be sure that if QuickPark went bust the DAA would inflate their prices again.
    Shannon charge €8.50 a day - for a car parking space out in Co. Clare? Another rip off. Aer Rianta lives on in the new seperate authorities.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Shannon charge €8.50 a day - for a car parking space out in Co. Clare? Another rip off. Aer Rianta lives on in the new seperate authorities.
    No, just one authority, the DAA, who also run Shannon.

DAA-footer.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Lads - I'd like to clarify a few things.

The jump starting and many other mechanical services are put out to tender by the DAA. It is the AA who have the contract and who charge €40 and they specifically state that it does not apply to existing AA members.

The price is chargeable is posted in various spots around the car park zones with the call out number.

(Until 2004, the DAA provided the service and charged €10).

So, based on this post I can see:
    1) The parking charge paid, while high, was correct and signposted, so there should be no issues there

2a) When the AA were called by the OP, they didn't mention that they were the official jumpstarter for the DAA
    or
    2b) The AA didn't realise the OP was a member of the AA and so quoted a €40 charge
    or
    2c) The AA weren't called, despite the OP being a member

3) The OP thinks credit card fraud is OK

4) People take this subject veeeery personally

So, based on the fact that the first point is moot and the second point brings the entire thread into question - the remaining two points lead me to believe this thread has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement