Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano Groupset : Zonda or Fulcrum R5 Wheels

Options
  • 18-08-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I have a Trek5000 with Shimano Ultegra SL groupset and have now to replace Bontrager Race wheels as the rear has developed a number of hairline cracks at the spoke holes.
    These wheels rolled well but were always sloppy when climbing or putting the power down

My weight - 86kg

Looking at either the Fulcrum Racing 5 (Black) or the Campy Zondas. (not interested in anything else really - prefer to buy at LSB - Not getting anything handmade)

Thoughts I have so far before purchasing are:

Zonda's G3 lacing look sharp :D
    Seems rude to be putting Campys on a bike with a Shimano Groupset. Comments? :eek:
    Fulcrums are slightly more expensive? Does this mean they are better, as I would expect the "Campy" branding to add un-necessary cost to the Zonda's.
    If Fulcrum are using Campy "parts" what extra do I get with the Racing 3's for the extra money? (front seems identical)
    Any known issues I should be looking out for? 2009 models only.

Zonda
    Racing 3

only in Black I guess ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd go with the fulcrums. I don't like the spoke layout on the rear Zonda. I Have racing 1's myself and I think they're quite good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There´s nothing wrong with mixing Campag wheels with Shimano. It´s not like the bike is going to explode or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭crazydingo

Mmmmmm Zonda
    pagani-zonda-cinque_53FLS_48.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

I can only comment on the fulcrum 5 wheels.I am about the same weight as yourself,fulcrum wheels are very very strong look cool and have a loud buzz out of the rear hub.Now this review is for about a 6 month period,in 6 months I am very pleased with the wheels.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Fulcrum is Campy, but the R5 wheels are better in Ireland at 14+stone. The G3 lacing on the Zondas isn't quite as strong as the more traditional R5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Not sure if you'd be interested but there is this dude on Weight Weenies selling a used set of 2007 Campag Vento's for £100. See the description page here and this is a photo of them. It seems good enough value if you were just looking for something relatively cheap, especially when you can often bargain these guys down a bit further (what I usually do is try to get them to include shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

el tonto wrote: »
    There´s nothing wrong with mixing Campag wheels with Shimano. It´s not like the bike is going to explode or something.

oh yeah? That's what this guy did and look what happened......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Thanks all ....Your comments actually helped make my mind up (but probably not the way you intended!! ;-) ) .. Went for the R3's in the end ... Just put them on with some Vittoria Corsa's .... Looking too good ...

Up early for a spin tomorrrow ... no need for tailwinds with these ...:D

Advertisement