Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a device with a different IP to my network

Options
  • 18-08-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I have my home network setup. Let's assume it's setup as 192.168.0.x
    I have a device which is setup to use 192.168.1.x

Without resetting the device is it possible to connect it into my network and connect to the other IP?

i.e. I'd like to connect to the device 192.168.1.3 from my PC 192.168.0.3

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

temporary way: assign one of the pcs in your home lan an ip address in the devices range. naturally in doing this the pc will lose connectivity to the 192.168.0.x subnet...

permanent way: put a gateway device that can route between the 192.168.0.x & 192.168.1.x subnets. then all pcs on the home lan should be able to talk to it, however they'll need to know how to route to it.

permanent way no. 2: some pc network cards can be assigned with 2 ip addresses - maybe you can try that?

what are you trying to connect to by the way - can you not just connect once, and reconfigure it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's no specific problem that I have at the moment.

It's mainly when I have routers and things and they're all setup on different IPs and what not. Sometimes I'd like to just be able to hook it into my network and connect to it without to much hassle to check out some settings or whatever.

Also sometimes with my print server, Slingbox, whatever takes my fancy.

Myabe then look into having 2 IPs set per network card, or get a second network card? I think the prob is that a 192.168.x.x network usually has a sunet of 255.255.255.0 set, so you can't route from 192.168.x.x to 192.168.y.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Can you not just change the IP on the new device to match your lan?

1) Change your pc's ip temporarily to match the subnet of the new device
    2) Connect to new device - change its IP to match your lans normal subnet.
    3) Change your PC back to the regular lan subnet.
    4) Problem has gone away! (profit!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Do you not have DHCP running on your lan?

If not and you have a decent router it might be able to route between the two subnets or change the mask temporarily so they both fall into the same subnet!

I do have DHCP and I've also used manual IP addressing.

@Snaga
    Are you suggesting I have my LAN setup and my router is 192.168.0.1 and my PC is 192.168.0.2 then I can:
    1. hook up another device to the router with IP 192.168.1.3
    2. change my PC IP to 192.168.1.2 and connect to the other device?

Random wrote: »
    I do have DHCP and I've also used manual IP addressing.

@Snaga
    Are you suggesting I have my LAN setup and my router is 192.168.0.1 and my PC is 192.168.0.2 then I can:
    1. hook up another device to the router with IP 192.168.1.3
    2. change my PC IP to 192.168.1.2 and connect to the other device?

Yes - absolutely. Your PC will lose connectivity to the router until its IP is put back into the 192.168.0.X subnet - but thats ok.

You should then be able to change the IP of the other device to 192.168.0.3 (via its web interface or telnet or however else you need to connect to it) and then re-ip your pc back to 192.168.0.2. At this point everything will be on the same IP subnet and should be able to communicate with each other.

So the connection will still go through the router even though it's on a different IP range?

So the connection will still go through the router even though it's on a different IP range?

Most commodity routers actually have two parts. The 4 LAN ports are actually a simple switch - the router only 'routes' when traffic is destined for the Internet.

Two ip subnets can happily co-exist on a switch in a single LAN situation like this - as long as both dont need to get access to the internet.

Only devices in the same IP subnet will have IP connectivity between each other - so the router will only allow internet access to the devices that are in the same IP subnet as its LAN interface. (Which is the end goal of the process above).

• Advertisement

Interesting, that's some good information ... I can essentially run 2 networks off the one router once only one needs internet access then.

I suppose if I did want to connect to one of these devices from the internet then though it may be a little beyond the options available on a normal home router?

Interesting, that's some good information ... I can essentially run 2 networks off the one router once only one needs internet access then.

I suppose if I did want to connect to one of these devices from the internet then though it may be a little beyond the options available on a normal home router?

They would be seperate networks from an IP point of view - not from an ethernet point of view - so I wouldnt treat it as a secure network seperation. There is no easy way to get the two networks talking to each other (not without another router anyway).

In your case, with the kit you have, you are just better off getting everything into the one IP subnet if you need internet access to all of your devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Another way might be to use a shorter subnet mask, e.g. 255.255.0.0, on all devices (including the router). The example mask would put anything on an IP beginning with 192.168 in the same logical network.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

I would do it like this.. Two statics on the one nic.

http://www.itsyourip.com/networking/how-to-add-multiple-ip-address-in-windows-2000xp2003/

This is the way I do it from office to home.. one is on the 192.168.X.X range office is on 10.0.X.X.

Advertisement