Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interpet these figures for me please !

Options
  • 18-08-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Newbie to the world of "real" broadband, so don't really know what kinda figures to expect as my local exchange was only broadband enabled last month.
    Am on the eircom 7Mb package.

I'm a bit confused here my ping times are usually poor 500/600/700 ms and my speedtest.net seems poor

543041453.png

but straight after the above speedtest, I downloaded (without download manager) a rapidshare file of 63.5Mb in 1min and 31 seconds and my download manager normally reports a speed of >700 Kb/s.

My line stats from the router, are as follows.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 38.00 20.00
    CRC Errors 890 14

Is what I am getting normal /OK ?
    Are my line stats good enough for 7Mb broadband ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Newbie to the world of "real" broadband, so don't really know what kinda figures to expect as my local exchange was only broadband enabled last month.
    Am on the eircom 7Mb package.

I'm a bit confused here my ping times are usually poor 500/600/700 ms and my speedtest.net seems poor

543041453.png

but straight after the above speedtest, I downloaded (without download manager) a rapidshare file of 63.5Mb in 1min and 31 seconds and my download manager normally reports a speed of >700 Kb/s.

My line stats from the router, are as follows.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 9.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 38.00 20.00
    CRC Errors 890 14

Is what I am getting normal /OK ?
    Are my line stats good enough for 7Mb broadband ?

Thanks

Your attentuation is low enough that you should get the about the full 7 megs down and you're synced at that accordingly, but your line is noisy. Can you hear crackling if you listen through a handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Cheers m8, since you posted I gutted the house, disconnected all phone lines and wired the eircom master socket to the incoming cable direct.
    Now I get these line stats.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.00 19.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

And my speedtest.net test has got worse lol :D

543107347.png

To answer your question, I don't notice any crackling in the phone, but I almost never use it anyway, as I only have it for broadband.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Cheers m8, since you posted I gutted the house, disconnected all phone lines and wired the eircom master socket to the incoming cable direct.
    Now I get these line stats.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.00 19.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

And my speedtest.net test has got worse lol :D

[/URL]

To answer your question, I don't notice any crackling in the phone, but I almost never use it anyway, as I only have it for broadband.

Are you using wireless? No errors on that stats set though I notice. Left a torrent client or the like running?

Yes m8, using wireless at the minute, but I tried it with direct cable connection and it didn't improve my ping times.

Also any experts there, in real world terms, will the difference in my line stats in my second post vs my first post make any difference in the real world, or will I just connect everything back up again.

The no errors m8, are probably just the result of the fresh start up on the router.
    Definitely no thing running like torrents etc, but like I said when I download from rapidshare etc, I seem to be getting full speed, don't I ?

Yes m8, using wireless at the minute, but I tried it with direct cable connection and it didn't improve my ping times.

Also any experts there, in real world terms, will the difference in my line stats in my second post vs my first post make any difference in the real world, or will I just connect everything back up again.

The no errors m8, are probably just the result of the fresh start up on the router.
    Definitely no thing running like torrents etc, but like I said when I download from rapidshare etc, I seem to be getting full speed, don't I ?

The slight change in line stats won't have any bearing, you already have a low enough attenuation and are syncing at the correct speed. Try pinging boards.ie and see what the latency is there.

• Advertisement

Pinging www.boards.ie

Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 30/30/30 msec

It must be contention m8, because when I try speedtest now (after midnight), I'm getting a ping time of 71ms vs >700 a half an hour ago. ??

Pinging www.boards.ie

Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 30/30/30 msec

It must be contention m8, because when I try speedtest now (after midnight), I'm getting a ping time of 71ms vs >700 a half an hour ago. ??

Could have been Eircom's infrastructure, there seemed to be an outage on the Eircom.net site earlier tonight.

Advertisement