Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm at a loss

Options
  • 18-08-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Well where should I start. Did much worse in the leaving than I thought, and actually went down 5 points from the mocks to 470.

I had my heart set on psychology and was genuinely confident I could get it. Well naturally I was 30 points short.

Got my second choice, Commerce, but I'm just not 100% sure I'll enjoy compared to how I felt about psychology.

Am slightly tempted to repeat aswell

I just don't have an idea what to do! Repeat, do commerce, I'm torn between the two

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go to the UK through UCAS?

It's an option

First of all, although you mightn't feel it, congrats at getting 470.

Just going to make one suggestion - have a good read up on your second choice before you decide not to do it (if you decide this). Drop by the UCD forum and ask some of the regulars who are in commerce what the course is like, they'll be able to give you honest feedback on the course.

If you decide to do it, keep in mind that accepting your second choice doesn't stamp your hand with Commerce for the rest of your life or anything, you can drop out of college within a certain timeframe (usually a month) and keep 'free fees' (though that's not going to really help since fees will come in anyways). You could start Commerce to see what it's like and if you don't like it you could then drop out and repeat.

Either way, best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

I'm doing psychology through arts. Its a bit late now but that would've been a good second choice.
    If you've your heart set on psychology then maybe you should stick out another year of school and just repeat. It will be worth it in the end.
    But you also have to consider how you'll be able to cope with your friends moving on and enjoying their freedom when you have to stay in and study.
    Its all up to where your priorities lie in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

well, I went down 60 points from my pres and got offered my last choice.
    count yourself lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Well where should I start. Did much worse in the leaving than I thought, and actually went down 5 points from the mocks to 470.

I had my heart set on psychology and was genuinely confident I could get it. Well naturally I was 30 points short.

Got my second choice, Commerce, but I'm just not 100% sure I'll enjoy compared to how I felt about psychology.

Am slightly tempted to repeat aswell

I just don't have an idea what to do! Repeat, do commerce, I'm torn between the two

Are u ablre to transfer from one course to another in UCD (I'm tryin to do this in Trinity already!)? Maybe u could transfer from Commerce to arts and take up up Psychology... I understand u have to take 2 other subjects but these are dropped eventually so...

Good Luck anyway hope things work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Hey! I got 480 and had my heart set on psychology.I thought i'd get it but something went wrong with french.Anyways I am going to do arts and try and get the psychology module there.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

meathawk wrote: »
    Hey! I got 480 and had my heart set on psychology.I thought i'd get it but something went wrong with french.Anyways I am going to do arts and try and get the psychology module there.

Thanks for the sound advice guys, I reckon I'll give Commerce a bash:) Although if its not for me I will consider changing courses next year.

Meathawk, how do you go about getting into the actual psychology course from arts? Do they allocate a few spaces each year based on their performance in arts or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

You can always do some psychology modules as electives. That'd be about 100 hours each semester. Im doing science but taking physio modules as my electives cause thats what i want to do a post grad in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ambyangel wrote: »
    well, I went down 60 points from my pres and got offered my last choice.
    count yourself lucky!

theres always going to be someone better and worse off then you.
    if it makes ya feel any better it went up 45 points from my mocks and still didnt get offered anything!

Advertisement