Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottleing home brew

• 18-08-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any knows if its ok to cap a homebrew beer in a twist off bottle, using snap off caps (standard caps)?
    Will it leak or stay solid?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

The standard cap will not even stay on the bottle . The twist on lids have a thread on them so they can tighten on to the bottle. Get some bulmers bottlers or some brown preferbly 500ml beer bottles .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Yes it is possible to use the crown caps on twist off top glass bottles.
    However there is a high chance of the crown caps comming off as they are harder to seal. That been said I've had some success with using the long neck twist off top glass bottles from lidl, and using a table top lever crown capper to get the crown caps on securely.

You could also use plastic bottles, like 500ml coke bottles, the moulding process that makes these bottles able to withstand the fizzy gas gives them good strength and mean that the bottles can also be reused at home for homebrew.

But the best bottles are the proper beer bottles if you can get some.
    otherwise PET 1 litre plastic bottles are available from homebrew shops and swing-top bottles (like grolsh) are also available.

have fun
    s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yes it is possible to use the crown caps on twist off top glass bottles.
    However there is a high chance of the crown caps comming off as they are harder to seal. That been said I've had some success with using the long neck twist off top glass bottles from lidl, and using a table top lever crown capper to get the crown caps on securely.
    Not really. You will never get a proper seal, so you will either lose Co2, lose Beer or gain O2, none of which is desireable. Just drink loads of Weiss beer and keep the bottles, they're very durable and reusable

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bill2176

I've used standard caps for years on both screw and plain top bottles and have never lost any gas from the beer.

Once you have a capper that has sufficient pressure to put the cap on properly then you should have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

That been said I've had some success with using the long neck twist off top glass bottles from lidl, and using a table top lever crown capper to get the crown caps on securely.

I have also bottled in the Lidl beer (Perlenbacher) bottles - cheap and cheerful.

I twisted off the cap i.e. not using a bottle opener, drank said beer and kept the cap. Then when bottling homebrew I twisted the original cap back onto really tight with a tea towel wrapped round my hand i.e. not using a capper.

It worked out fine, tho I must admit I only used one Perlenbacher bottle this way in my last batch of beer as a test and it may not be a representative sample.

I would use higher quality / thicker bottles with proper sealable necks by preferenance if at all possible.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bill2176

I've re used twist top and plain caps without any problems providing I have sterilised them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Ah well, doesnt matter.
    I picked up 30 bullmers bottles yesterday :pac:

Advertisement