Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can anyone help me out with these alloys?

• 18-08-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I fit a set of 17" alloys to my fiat punto , made sure they were the right fit and width etc.

Well i went to move off , and i keep hearing this clicking/scraping noise.

It's bad enough that I wouldn't drive the car even a couple of meters.

There are no points of contact between tyre and arch, spokes and arch or between any other wheel components.

I think i may need spacers, but will these really solve the problem? If so, where would be the best place to get them? I need this fixed by tomorrow as I am going away and need to drive the car to the airport!

Can anyone help me?

Photo014.jpg
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 3.2 turbo capri

not sure but halford , yes the dreaded halfords should have spacers as loks like form the pic as if you didnt get the right offset as this is very important in order to get the wheels to sit right in the arches , so each spoke is hitting usually the brake caliper hence the clicking ,if you where to keep driving it would damage the inside off your new wheels ok .............................

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

ahh ok man thanks very much for the help your a lifesaver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Think the weights for the balancing might be hitting the caliper.

More than likely need a bigger spacer

reckon 8mm is enough? if halfords don't stock em would i get em in any alloy shop?

Lock the wheel one direction then run your hand around the inside of the alloy and see what the space between the alloy and caliper is - be sure to feel for the weight balance

• Advertisement

hmm well its only the back wheels that are making the noise, the back passenger wheel to be precise but hang on i'll have a check now

Hang on - its drums on the back so could be something else...

ok i've just checked and there is no contact between the rear spokes and the drum brake :S thats whts baffling me about this there is no visible contacts between anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 3.2 turbo capri

wont be the back or higly unlikey to be the back almost all problems is on the front , unless you have lowered suspension or something that could cause other problems , but usually its the inner wheels touching the brake calipers , but if unsure then take the wheels off and look should be some scoring the inside wheel or caliper or if not there then the top off the shock something like that ok , but thats the best bet is to take the wheels off just one side should do , and check for marks , first move the car forwards and backwards before you take the wheel off only small movements alright ..................

ok thanks guys really appreciate the help i'll check all this stuff out in the morning! will post how i get on tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

ok, so had a good look over the wheels and decided to just bring it around to a garage which i'm gonna do later, at least that way someone can diagnose it in the flesh because the noise is definitely coming from the back. I put the old wheels back on (14" steel ones) and the noise is still there so i suspect the bolts i used may be slightly too long . . but i'm still gonna get everything checked out . . anyone ever experienced this? gonna try out the old bolts today and see if the problem persists and if so then shorter bolts and spacers should sort it!

Advertisement