Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be worried??

Options
  • 18-08-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Ok I freak out over the littlest things when it comes to my pup, usually ends up being silly but I cant help worrying now.

Ok she is not a very good eater, about three or four days ago she got sick - just bright yellow liquid - once. I usually feed her Arden Grange puppy food but sometimes she goes to my partners parents house on the weekend and even though we tell them to only give her our food they never do, just feed her Brandy and table scraps. Very annoying because now she wont eat her nuts at all - or very little of it. i know its not the best food for her but i was freaked out after she got sick and caved and bought her a tin of dog food which she loved and scoffed it which she never did when she was eating the dry food. So we decided to keep her on it.

Now she wont even eat that, shes 10months old and not even eating half a can. Is there something seriously wrong with her or should i just relax and stop freaking out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My dogs have vomited yellow bile the odd time, sometimes it's that they've eaten something that didnt agree (like wood...) or they just might be hungry. I wouldn't worry about an odd vomit.

Changing their food immediately isn't good for their stomach, like getting one food with you and another food entirely with someone else.
    Pups are like children, they'll eat what they like best and will make a face at what they might not like, but is good for them.
    Personally I'd wean her back from the canned food which isnt' good for her onto the puppy nuts.

You put down the food for 15-20 mins, if she doesn't touch it, you take it back up. And you can put it down at dinner time again. She'll eat when she gets hungry. It's not cruel, it's giving them routine, and not giving into any bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

star-pants wrote: »
    My dogs have vomited yellow bile the odd time, sometimes it's that they've eaten something that didnt agree (like wood...) or they just might be hungry. I wouldn't worry about an odd vomit.

Changing their food immediately isn't good for their stomach, like getting one food with you and another food entirely with someone else.
    Pups are like children, they'll eat what they like best and will make a face at what they might not like, but is good for them.
    Personally I'd wean her back from the canned food which isnt' good for her onto the puppy nuts.

You put down the food for 15-20 mins, if she doesn't touch it, you take it back up. And you can put it down at dinner time again. She'll eat when she gets hungry. It's not cruel, it's giving them routine, and not giving into any bad habits.

I have been trying to do that, giving her dry food with the crappy tinned food but she eats around it, i am usually very strict with what she eats but she really does eat very little, before i gave her tinned food i was told that a bag of the dry food we get should only last 5/6 days for her size and it takes her atleast 2weeks to eat that. I do keep to a routine but she wont eat anything now!

As horrible as it might sound, she'll eat when she gets hungry.
    I'd suggest putting down the dry food for 20 mins, if she doesn't eat it, take it up and try again later. When she sees she's not getting anything else she should eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check her weight, if her weight is ok at the moment, then stick to the one food only (I know it's so hard when other people give dogs and pups other food). If it means she has to miss one or two meals (as long as she's drinking) in order for her to be hungry enough to try the food. At the same time extra walks to work up and appetite and keep feeding time postative just give a small amount at a time and leave her to eat it. Very tempting to watch them out of the corner of your eye.

If needed at first perhaps with the dry food adding a little of the wet and over time lessen the wet food or add a tiny bit of fish oil and mix it into the dry food and lessen that over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

I will get her back to just the dry food but should i be worried that shes not eating now??? also she doesnt drink much either. she was at the vet last month and he said her weight was fine

• Advertisement

My older dog Lily doesn't drink much, whereas my 7month old pup drinks like a fish!
    I think it just depends. If her weight is fine she'll be ok not eating for a day or so and she will eat the dry food when she's hungry.
    Make sure there's plenty of fresh water around at all times.

Advertisement