Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing for Yes vote

Options
  • 18-08-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Hey! i am thinking of canvassing for the yes vote in lisbon, so right now i am in the stage where i am attempting to find a good organization that I could join to do this. Does anyone have any experience with any of the yes side organizations and could you perhaps tell which would be the best to join? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Mario007 wrote: »
    Hey! i am thinking of canvassing for the yes vote in lisbon, so right now i am in the stage where i am attempting to find a good organization that I could join to do this. Does anyone have any experience with any of the yes side organizations and could you perhaps tell which would be the best to join? Thanks!

I'm very non-org myself, but I know that at least a couple of posters are from Yes organisations, and can presumably advise you. I also meant to put up a "Getting Involved" thread, for organisations to say how you can get involved.

As a matter of interest, what degree of organisation and support would you require in order to canvass?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I'm sort of in this boat myself. If it fails again, I'd like to have at least tried to canvass a little.

What level of support would I need? I'm not sure. Not much.

I just have this idea, which unfortunately might be overly optimistic, that the various groups might be talking to each other and deciding on what literature people might like and assigning areas to canvass....

I'm being overly optimistic right? Probably no one is talking to anyone else?

I have thought I'd like to distribute copies of the Spoofer's Guide to Lisbon with some personal annotations.

I did contact IrelandForEurope. I could not register properly on their site and e-mailed them... They asked for my phone number, which I gave, and then I never heard back. That was 2 weeks ago. I guess they are busy, and probably I should contact them again.

Generation yes sent me an IM asking me to consider writing a column on their blog based on contributions to boards. My head is not too big, I know this was a form note, which I assume went to most of the yes posters. Vanity might get me to send something to them but I'll be honest and say that I'd rate myself as well below several of the other contributors here.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ixtlan wrote: »
    ... Generation yes sent me an IM asking me to consider writing a column on their blog based on contributions to boards. My head is not too big, I know this was a form note, which I assume went to most of the yes posters. Vanity might get me to send something to them but I'll be honest and say that I'd rate myself as well below several of the other contributors here.

Now my feelings are hurt. They didn't contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Now my feelings are hurt. They didn't contact me.

I'd say it's in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I'm very non-org myself, but I know that at least a couple of posters are from Yes organisations, and can presumably advise you. I also meant to put up a "Getting Involved" thread, for organisations to say how you can get involved.

As a matter of interest, what degree of organisation and support would you require in order to canvass?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Not much support, just want to be able to say 'Hey I'm from such and such organization...' because surprisingly people actually tend to take you more seriously then. I've tried it out last summer when I working in an entertainment center and everytime I mentioned that I was working there to other random people they tended to listen more. And also it would be nice to have some leaflets to let out. I mean I could print out leaflets by myself, but it would prove very costly and I need all the money I can muster for college.
    Basically I want to start going to college next september and in between lectures I'd slip out into the streets of Cork and start canvassing...and for that I think I need some sort of backing.

• Advertisement

ixtlan wrote: »
    I'm sort of in this boat myself. If it fails again, I'd like to have at least tried to canvass a little.

What level of support would I need? I'm not sure. Not much.

I just have this idea, which unfortunately might be overly optimistic, that the various groups might be talking to each other and deciding on what literature people might like and assigning areas to canvass....

I'm being overly optimistic right? Probably no one is talking to anyone else?

I have thought I'd like to distribute copies of the Spoofer's Guide to Lisbon with some personal annotations.

I did contact IrelandForEurope. I could not register properly on their site and e-mailed them... They asked for my phone number, which I gave, and then I never heard back. That was 2 weeks ago. I guess they are busy, and probably I should contact them again.

Generation yes sent me an IM asking me to consider writing a column on their blog based on contributions to boards. My head is not too big, I know this was a form note, which I assume went to most of the yes posters. Vanity might get me to send something to them but I'll be honest and say that I'd rate myself as well below several of the other contributors here.

Ix.

I was thinking of joining Generation Yes as a matter of fact, but weren't there some shady transactions involving the group? Or is that just some sort of false accusation that means to discredit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 storinius

Shady Transactions? Like what? Taking money from scary business men or something-

You can track donations made on their website or their facebook page.

It is a youth organisation of student volunteers. It is as transparent as it can possibly be and it doesn't have any money- check for yourself on the list of donations, or go to the office and look at the broke students working for free-

If you think there is something shady about their motives, I'll give you a clue, the answer to their modus operandi is in the name- They want a Yes vote from 18-30 years olds who had the lowest turnout last time round.

They are looking for volunteers at the moment in fact - info@generationyes.ie

storinius wrote: »
    Shady Transactions? Like what? Taking money from scary business men or something-

You can track donations made on their website or their facebook page.

It is a youth organisation of student volunteers. It is as transparent as it can possibly be and it doesn't have any money- check for yourself on the list of donations, or go to the office and look at the broke students working for free-

If you think there is something shady about their motives, I'll give you a clue, the answer to their modus operandi is in the name- They want a Yes vote from 18-30 years olds who had the lowest turnout last time round.

They are looking for volunteers at the moment in fact - info@generationyes.ie

oh right, dont take me wrong, I just read a lot of things on politics.ie:D so I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the email address, i'll make sure to send them an email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭worldrepublic

You could join Fianna Fail Youth. They will probably cover your "expenses" too.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Isn't it sad that you can tell which way someone is going to vote on Lisbon by their attitude towards FF.

I hate FF - doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to abuse the democratic mechanism of a referendum and at the same time shoot myself in the foot.

yeah i don't like FF so why should I join them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nick.am

Anyone interested in canvassing for a Yes vote should contact the IrelandforEurope campaign.

Right now we're in the process of getting everything ready for our 'official' launch in early September, which is why unfortunately we may not have replied back to all the requests for information or offers for willing volunteers.

The campaign is going to really kick off in September and we're hoping to really make our presence felt in Ireland (a good presence of course). Also moving more into September we're going to be focusing a lot more of our energy on making contact on the ground, including canvasing. So if your interested drop us an e-mail, or give us a ring.

Nick

I think I will be getting involved with IrelandforEurope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

nick.am wrote: »
    Anyone interested in canvassing for a Yes vote should contact the IrelandforEurope campaign.

Right now we're in the process of getting everything ready for our 'official' launch in early September, which is why unfortunately we may not have replied back to all the requests for information or offers for willing volunteers.

The campaign is going to really kick off in September and we're hoping to really make our presence felt in Ireland (a good presence of course). Also moving more into September we're going to be focusing a lot more of our energy on making contact on the ground, including canvasing. So if your interested drop us an e-mail, or give us a ring.

Nick

Excellent website, well laid out and informative... I never joined a campaigning organisation in my life but will seriously consider this one.

http://irelandforeurope.ie/index.html

Advertisement