Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf GtTdi

• 18-08-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

im changing my car and looking for your opinions on VW golf GtTdi 04/05 and what price would you expect to pay in todays market?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

rockybird wrote: »
    im changing my car and looking for your opinions on VW golf GtTdi 04/05 and what price would you expect to pay in todays market?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

i have a friend who has a gttdi golf 02 and he says its a great doesnt find any probs at all only to insure it :D
    if u shop around ul find a good one cheep i got a 02 passat this year with no miles with new tires full service and new tow bar fitted for 4000€
    but still the poassats are priced on car zone for 7000€ and over i think its wheater the seller needs the cash what were u expecting to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

There is no such thing as a gt tdi, they were dealer fitted badges fitted to highline golfs to boost sales. Tell your friend to insure it as the real car it is, a tdi highline or comfortline ;)

Similarly, Audi never made an S4 or RS4 tdi yet there are lots of them on the road :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There is no such thing as a gt tdi,

I can't wait until the Golf GTD comes out, the amount of slagging those poor owners will get...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Get a Leon FR TDI 2.0ltr 170Bhp ;)

Confab wrote: »
    I can't wait until the Golf GTD comes out, the amount of slagging those poor owners will get...

The GTD will be an official vw model, not a makey up dealer badging exercise! There was a mk2 gtd years ago too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

But was there not a GT spec TDi in the Mark V? Also they changed the Sport tag in the UK (Sportline here) to GT (and GT Sport here) and they all had diesels available.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but there kinda was but they weren't the real thing like a GTi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm surprised it took them so long to (re-)introduce an offical GTD. The MkII GTD was a smash-hit on the continent during the '80s (at a time when the Brits wouldn't touch diesel cars with a barge pole).

As for a 'GtTDi' - never such a thing:rolleyes:, certainly not in Ireland. Some of the facelifted MKVs come in a 'GT' spec alright with GTi-like moo-stache...

EPM wrote: »
    But was there not a GT spec TDi in the Mark V? Also they changed the Sport tag in the UK (Sportline here) to GT (and GT Sport here) and they all had diesels available.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but there kinda was but they weren't the real thing like a GTi

Yes there were GT spec's here but IMO they don't deserve the GT badge, as said they were sportline cars. The only ones that should have a GT badge are real GTi's / GTd's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The GT spec on the mkV Golf is stuck on anything from the sh!tty 1.9 diesel and basic 1.4 petrol to the twin-charged 1.4 170 petrol and 2 litre 170 diesel, so you can't go by the GT spec. Price varies according to sh!ttiness. The 170 in either would be fine, the 140 also comes in the 1.4 petrol and 2.0 diesel, not a bad compromise, anything less shouldn't have the GT badge at all. (some might argue that it should only be on the 170 models, me included!).
    04 probably had a few Mk 4 Golfs around, so I assume you're looking for a Mk 5?

Neilw wrote: »
    Yes there were GT spec's here but IMO they don't deserve the GT badge, as said they were sportline cars. The only ones that should have a GT badge are real GTi's / GTd's :)

Like I said, they weren't the real thing.

What gets me thinking though - apart from the GTi bits what exactly is the difference between the GT 170 TDi (not the Sportline or GT Sport) and the GTD? Both have similar engine outputs except this time around the power difference is greater but the badges are more similar:confused:

Marketing spin I know really but will they just sort it out and make it clearer

• Advertisement

What gets me thinking though - apart from the GTi bits what exactly is the difference between the GT 170 TDi (not the Sportline or GT Sport) and the GTD? Both have similar engine outputs except this time around the power difference is greater but the badges are more similar:confused:

I would guess there are suspension differences, GTD might be lowered slightly and I would say the GTD would get the full works GTI bumpers/skirts and interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

The GT TDI Was available in the MK V from late 2006 - It was the 2.0L 170hp engine, It differs from anything else by having twin pipes at the rear and a stiffer set up than the sportline / other GT models. It was launched with the 170hp GT TSI. It was launched as the link between the sportline and and the GTI just like the MK 4 was and just like the mk 6 has been.

baldyback wrote: »
    The GT TDI Was available in the MK V from late 2006 - It was the 2.0L 170hp engine, It differs from anything else by having twin pipes at the rear and a stiffer set up than the sportline / other GT models. It was launched with the 170hp GT TSI. It was launched as the link between the sportline and and the GTI just like the MK 4 was and just like the mk 6 has been.

I know that bit, but I wasn't too clear with my first comment. Surely this is not as worthy of a GTi/D badge as the last one as the power difference between the top diesel and petrol is now greater (168 vs 207). It would have been great if they just gave the diesel a small bit more power compared to whats already on offer in similar cars, especially with the price premium expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

I know that bit, but I wasn't too clear with my first comment. Surely this is not as worthy of a GTi/D badge as the last one as the power difference between the top diesel and petrol is now greater (168 vs 207). It would have been great if they just gave the diesel a small bit more power compared to whats already on offer in similar cars, especially with the price premium expected

Thats a fair comment but the GTI still has the same amount of torque (207lb GTD has 350lb) and the 0 - 60 spring remains the same - Real worle performance remains pretty much the same too. The only real differance in the GTI is that the engine has slightly more HP - it is cleaner and more economical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had a mk4 badged as a GT TDI. It had the full GT interior, outside trim, sunroof, lights, wheels, brakes and a stiff suspension. In fact it was so stiff my GF at the time refused to let me drive across the mountains in it because it made her sick. It was even 150bhp, actually remapped to 180. Was a nice car

The GT for VW is just a trim level. It's the 'I' that is important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

Onkle wrote: »
    I had a mk4 badged as a GT TDI. It had the full GT interior, outside trim, sunroof, lights, wheels, brakes and a stiff suspension. In fact it was so stiff my GF at the time refused to let me drive across the mountains in it because it made her sick. It was even 150bhp, actually remapped to 180. Was a nice car

is the gt not a english thing??? i was sure the gt was 150 bhp like onkles car standard!! if there no such thing why when your getting a quote online is there a model for gt?? (mark 4)

my advice would be to go up to the north to get one.

allways wonderd cause you guys no more about this than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

Neilw wrote: »

Similarly, Audi never made an S4 or RS4 tdi yet there are lots of them on the road :D

:pac:wat a legend :pac:

audi did make audi s4(2.7biturbo quadcam for b5, 4.2 v8 for b6 ) and rs4(same engine bases as bside but much more tuned) as well as s6 and rs6,
    its just load of sad lads fitting quattro kits and s4/rs4 badges on their a4 1.9 tdi's with twin exhaust

GF? I thought you were a girl...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61661346#post61661346

Anyhoo... There was a 150bhp TDi in the UK at the same time as the 180bhp anniversary GTi, and they gave the TDI the same spec more or less. Maybe without the recaros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

that was a 150pd Onkle,these shared the same suspension and wood trim as the mk4 GTI (petrol) The brakes would have been 288mm vented same as the 130pd and the 150bhp GTI,the anniversary models and the 180bhp petrol models got the 312mm vented brakes.The seats would have been normal high line seats same as all other high line mark 4's including the petrol GTI post 2001,unless of course the original buyer had spec'ed leather recaros as an upgrade.The smoked or 'GTI' Taillights were also another high line option so every high line golf had the same colour coded trims,wheels and lights as the GTI,another reason why the MK4 GTI was so disappointing.

The only true GT in the mk5 diesel range is the 170 bhp GT,all the rest only have a grill fitted and some don't even have that.It will be the same when the GTD comes out,there will be hundreds of GTD spec MK6 golfs with poverty spec.

pablosd wrote: »

audi did make audi s4(2.7biturbo quadcam for b5, 4.2 v8 for b6 ) and rs4(same engine bases as bside but much more tuned) as well as s6 and rs6,
    its just load of sad lads fitting quattro kits and s4/rs4 badges on their a4 1.9 tdi's with twin exhaust
    Drives me mad. If ever there was an engine less deserving of an S or RS badge it's that 1.9 diesel.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    GF? I thought you were a girl...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61661346#post61661346

Anyhoo... There was a 150bhp TDi in the UK at the same time as the 180bhp anniversary GTi, and they gave the TDI the same spec more or less. Maybe without the recaros.

The anniversary TDI had the same spec as the petrol Anniversary ,brakes ,Recaros the works there were 900 petrol models and 900 diesel models all badged as GTI,the only difference looks wise being that the petrol model had a single tail pipe coming out of the rear while the TDI model had hidden tailpipes behind a similar rear lip with no cut out for a tail pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

Biro wrote: »
    Drives me mad. If ever there was an engine less deserving of an S or RS badge it's that 1.9 diesel.

everytime i see rs4 badged a4 i know well its 1.9tdi, its obvious he wouldnt be able to run 4.2 V8, i dont mind the quattro kit as much but the badges drive me mad too!

pablosd wrote: »

Eh, I know what audi have made:rolleyes: I was refering to tdi A4's with S4 and RS4 badges on them. Hence the statement.....

Audi never made an S4 or RS4 tdi ;)

99% of the TDI RS4's are B6 A4's too and Audi never even made a B6 RS4,it's all quite sad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

tossy wrote: »
    99% of the TDI RS4's are B6 A4's too and Audi never even made a B6 RS4,it's all quite sad!

It's all Clarkson's fault. He tested the RS4 and raved about it (rightly so) saying cocks drove BMWs.

Then they all swapped their Audis for BMWs and the following season the TG boys had the cheek to announce that all the cocks had bought Audis:rolleyes:!

Buying s/h A4s 1.9TDis and dolling them up as RS4s seems to be some sort of provincial sub-culture...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rockybird

ok we're gone slightly of the topic so has anyone got a 140bhp 6speed tdi golf mark 5 and if so do you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭pete6296

Does anyone know when it will be available here in the republic.
    I seen one in Galway today, must be a UK import!
    What will be the pricing, no dealer has any info and reckons no such car.
    Pete

pete6296 wrote: »
    no dealer has any info and reckons no such car.

Typical Irish dealer nonsense.

Advertisement