Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft .net download (53MB) required for Nokia N85?

• 18-08-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I got a Nokia N85 amongst other reasons for the 5 megapixel camera, but my existing Nokia PC Suite didn't recognise the phone when I connected by cable, only by Bluetooth, which is too slow for photos / music.

So I uninstalled the Nokia PC suite and set about installing the stuff on the Nokia OVI CD that came with the phone.

It's looking to install tonnes and tonnes of programs, download updates, etc - and I drew the line at the Microsoft .net 53MB "MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 SP1 FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM"....

Do I need this?

I just want to transfer music and images. That's it.

Why do I need Microsoft?

I'm using Windows XP with Processer 1.73GHz, 1GB of RAM.

Any input would be really appreciated. I've searched through past threads and couldn't find anything.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

When you connect it, without using the pc suite, can you not click in the file folders, and drag and drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

I tried that (used to do that with my former Nokia), but the computer just can't "see" the phone at all - it detects new hardware, but doesn't connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

That's Microsofts .NET Framework, it's used by Nokia PC Suite (and many applications) and yes you do need it.

http://www.netvision.lt/en/why_net_framework.aspx

I have had issuse with the framework before with other programs before but never pc suite. I think the previous version was 2.0 off the top of my head. Just update it OP.

Im guessing you dont broadband thats why you dont want to download the 53Mb, just use dial up or a phone connection and take the hit. Once its done, thats it finished with.

Thanks. I have broadband, just that I'm keen to avoid downloading / installing stuff that I don't need.

Seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut IMO - just to move a few photos to the computer - but will go ahead.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... now I remember the other reason I hesitated about installing this - in 20 mins the Microsoft.net Framework 3.5 SP1 installation has progressed less than 1/3 of the total - and that's just the first element in the installation - definite overkill for transferring photos from a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Rud Annamh wrote: »
    Hmmm.... now I remember the other reason I hesitated about installing this - in 20 mins the Microsoft.net Framework 3.5 SP1 installation has progressed less than 1/3 of the total - and that's just the first element in the installation - definite overkill for transferring photos from a phone.

Try if this works.
    Connect you phone to pc suite and then open pc suite then click the last Tab ( i can't remember the name) and click on Re-install Pc support, that will send a file to your phone and Install it, then it should be allright to Connect phone.If you just want to connect phone to transfer songs and photos etc then connect to mass storage ( Make sure memory in messaging is phone memory) and then just drag and drop.

deep1 wrote: »
    Try if this works.
    Connect you phone to pc suite and then open pc suite then click the last Tab ( i can't remember the name) and click on Re-install Pc support, that will send a file to your phone and Install it, then it should be allright to Connect phone.If you just want to connect phone to transfer songs and photos etc then connect to mass storage ( Make sure memory in messaging is phone memory) and then just drag and drop.

Its the help tab, and its not an option when the phone isn't connected.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.

I've installed the PC Suite, including the Microsoft framework thingummy and I'm chuffed with the result - it's a doddle (and very fast) moving music and photos from computer to phone now.

This is the first time I've had an MP3 player (are they still called that?) and it's a big thrill :D

Advertisement