Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Trouble- Windows XP

• 18-08-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with this problem.

It's a Dell Laptop, Inspiron 1501 working on XP.

I can't start it up, it gives me a few options like to start in Safe Mode, start in Last settings that work etc but nothing works.

I end up getting a blue screen with the message:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I have the re installation disk if that will be if any use to me.
    I hope I have posted this in the right place.
    I would really appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sounds like registry is corrupt
    you can replace it with a copy from the system volume information folder

reinstalling may not solve the problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rosco_Weird

boot it in safe mood,and do a system restore till the closest date you know it was difinately working,

help on how to do a system restore : here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

I tried a safe mode start but I was still getting a similar message. I will give it another try. Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

There's a good guide here to what Capt'n Midnight was talking about. That should do the trick.

Ok so I am trying to follow the instructions given in the link but when I go to type in the commands I get messages like
    The system cannot find the file specified

The system cannot find the file or directory specified

Can I just re-install XP again. There is nothing that I really need on the laptop, I have all my files on an external, so I wouldn't be too worried about re-installing.

• Advertisement

Hi dg647,

There are a good few commands so you might just be making a typo. When are you getting the error you mentioned?

Yes you could just re-install it with the cd. It's up to you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I usually use a linux boot disk for this , far too much to type in the stripped down command prompt you get with recovery console

Can I just do a complete new install with the CD? Does anyone have a link to a good site where it explains this? Thanks again for all of the help

If you live in town you can drop it into me and I will repair the registry. Should only take a few minutes or there's a guide here on how to do a clean install of xp.

Thanks for that, I am down in Cork though. I will try that link that you posted, thanks again

• Advertisement

I am going for a new install. There is a partition 2 [NTFS] 54031MB in size. Can I delete this? I presume this is the XP that is already on the laptop?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dg647 wrote: »
    I am going for a new install. There is a partition 2 [NTFS] 54031MB in size. Can I delete this? I presume this is the XP that is already on the laptop?

Yep, that'll be it. One thing you could do though to try and avoid losing everything would be a repair install - see here for details. It may well not work, but it's worth trying - I've fixed a few problems in the past this way.

Done a new install so it is running faster than ever now. Thanks again to everyone for all the help

Advertisement