Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help im 18 soon gonna buy a car

• 18-08-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I need your help! Basically im 17 turning 18 in a few weeks,ive been driving for 6months now in a micra and no accidents thank god,ive got my test coming up soon and hope to pass it first time i currently have a learners permit and then will get my full drivers licence if i pass. For a good few months ive been working like a dog and putting money away for a car. i want to get a bmw 316 1.8l in the 2000's regesitratiom roughly between 8-9,000euro. My question really is i only want this car and nothing else and ppl have been saying fair play at such a young age to be so motivated and some are saying im an idiot what do you think and do you think ill be able to get insured and how much im thinking mayb 3or 4,000 a year??
    thanks
    joeyj1977

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

personally I would think that its too soon to move from a micra to a BMW ..... its a completely different machine.

if you have your heart set on it (and have the money) .... go for it.

I would think your insurance would be 8-10K at your age, with limited experience with such a powerful car...if you will even get a quotation (although I think they have to quote you nowadays or get sued for ageism :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You're going to find it very hard to get insured on a car like that! Very hard!
    You should stick with a smaller car like a Micra for a year or two and build up your no claims bonus - then consider a bigger car like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

well the best thing you can do for yourself is to ring few companies and see how much will they quote you, see if it's worth it 2 you, quotes are changing all the time so nobody but insurers will tell you exactly that is if you get a quote at all
    bsides 00 beemers stand at 5-6k not 8-9k
    like this one here for example http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/917656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 joeyj1977

thanks for all the help i really appreictae it,its just i have my mind set on it and ive gotten so much advice but just cant get my mind of a beamer i just dont know what to do :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - you need to ring around all the insurance cos and a good selection of brokers to see what the cheapest quote you'll get is. Your age is against you, but on the other hand a 316i is hardly a fast car. In any case, the only way to find out is to get quotes. I wouldn't be as worried about the type of car as I would about the value of it - €8/9k is a lot of money to have exposed on a car you probably won't be able to insure comprehensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sensible advice; I'm guessing you just want a BMW and thats the smallest they have, so thats the one you want, but best advice is to buy something with a smaller engine, cheaper insurance, tax etc. Get some experience, NCB's and buy something bigger after a few years.

But, you saved the money, you know the insurance is ridiculous (if you can get it) you want a BMW and any will do, so go on a head. I'm guessing your mind is already made up, but look harder for a deal, cant see a 00 318 costing 8-9K.

why not get a e36 316i coupe for about 3k to get some experience first for a year or two they are not too bad insurance wise, one of the lads had one lst year and paid just over 2.6k for the year(17 no ncb full with quinn), this way u still get ur beemer and buy nicer one after some time

thanks for the replys,its true my age is against me :( im gonna ring up some on thursday see what the story is,as above post said my mind is set on it and any beamer will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

joeyj1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

I need your help! Basically im 17 turning 18 in a few weeks,ive been driving for 6months now in a micra and no accidents thank god,ive got my test coming up soon and hope to pass it first time i currently have a learners permit and then will get my full drivers licence if i pass. For a good few months ive been working like a dog and putting money away for a car. i want to get a bmw 316 1.8l in the 2000's regesitratiom roughly between 8-9,000euro. My question really is i only want this car and nothing else and ppl have been saying fair play at such a young age to be so motivated and some are saying im an idiot what do you think and do you think ill be able to get insured and how much im thinking mayb 3or 4,000 a year??
    thanks
    joeyj1977
    Honestly your too young to drive a car that powerful and could very well have a smash and kill/injure yourself or others. We all want cars that we don't have so i'm sure you'll quickly get over your fad. Your insurance would be crazy anyway and would be a waste of money, get a 1.4 L Ford Focus for around 6-7K, there great cars to drive and the Beamers are overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

thanks for the replys,its true my age is against me :( im gonna ring up some on thursday see what the story is,as above post said my mind is set on it and any beamer will do

Welcome to life Joey, you don't always get what you want. Wasting money on insurance is retarded. Get a smaller car 1-1.3 litre and spend a year or two building up your no claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were you, i'd have a good hard think about that. An E46 316i is painfully slow, and will most likely make a monastery look luxurious. There are far nicer cars out there, if you can only learn to look past the badge.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Honestly your too young to drive a car that poweful.
    :D priceless quote :D
    :)powerful is bit of an exagerration in this case:)
    316i are dog slow, wouldnt be suprised if 1.4 focus kept up with it

are 316 1.8l really that slow has to be quicker than the micra :D:D
    probs could run faster than the bloody thing its not all about speed about style too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

sorry since when has a 1.8 near 10 year old engine been considered powerful? the car is built like a fricking tank! i say if you can afford to pay the insurance go for it mate! my first car was a 2.5l 12 yr old bm in london. had a right laugh in it but not sure if the smaller engines are rear wheel drive and if they are be carefull giving it beans in the wet in sharp corners. do that stuff in deserted car parks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

are 316 1.8l really that slow has to be quicker than the micra :D:D
    probs could run faster than the bloody thing its not all about speed about style too!

I suppose it's a lot to pay for style though. And yes they really are that slow! It's up yourself though, if you want it and can justify the cost etc then go for it. But there are far better out there for the money, you'd have a lot more fun in something like a Ford Puma 1.6 (103Bhp), or a 1.7(125Bhp) if you can find one! And they're cheap.

its power to weight ratio that makes them slow, and (small)power(for the car) has to travel all the way to the rear wheels creating bit of a delay/hesitation
    FR cars are not as responsive as FF or RR cars (unless they have serious power)

i suggest u go to some dealer around and take one of them for a test drive and see if it suits you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

316i from 1998 to 2001 was 1.9 litre with 104bhp, 316i from late 2001 to 2005 was 1.8 litre with 115bhp.

I would not describe either as powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

So what the OP is saying here is that he wants to spend a lot of money on a nearly 10 year old car with a rubbish engine just so he can have the lure of the blue and white propellar on his bonnet.

Some people really have got a lot of growing up to do.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What would the running costs be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Holsten wrote: »
    What would the running costs be?

Too much.

The E46 316i had the performance of a 1.6 litre, with the running costs and road tax of a 1.8/1.9.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

While the BMW isnt powerful, it would be considered more powerful than the Micra the OP is currently driving.

What I would be worried about is the massive difference in going from a small, front wheel drive car, to a rear wheel drive car thats alot bigger. I know there is a button for Traction Control, but guess what the first button was that I pushed when i first drove my mates 320d? ;) Combined with the lack of experience on the OP's behalf, and its asking for trouble.

OP, you may be driving for 6 months, and fair play to you if you pass your test, but there are still alot of situations that you wont have experienced out on the road. IMO, I think you'd be better driving your current ar, or even buying another small car that looks better than the Micra. Its a big step up at a young age with your experience.

If it was me, i'd be looking at something like this -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200924193088253

media?id=7771109&width=400&height=300

Its alot nicer than driving a Micra, looks ten times better, great to drive, cheap to tax and insure, but its not as big a step up in driving terms as the BMW would be.

You can always sell it again in a years time or when you've more experience on the road, and look for your dream BMW.

However, if you really are hooked on the BMW, and nothing will change your mind, I would suggest you invest in an advanced driving course, get a go on a skidpan to see how a RWD car reacts, and take your time on the road.

All of the above is just my opinion, but if it was me going back in time, its what i'd do.

thanks again for all your help!what car do you think i should go for not really good on names but it has to be slick!a stylish fast car max 9,000euro thats cheaper to run than a beamer and easier for me to get tax and insurance on not really into ford focus ect
    thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

thanks again for all your help!what car do you think i should go for not really good on names but it has to be slick!a stylish fast car max 9,000euro thats cheaper to run than a beamer and easier for me to get tax and insurance on not really into ford focus ect
    thanks a mill!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A3/1.6-*-3-/200933194894936/advert?channel=CARS

thanks a mill!

Hmm....
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200932194814589
    media?id=8343597&width=400&height=300

Should be achieveable in budget.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200933194922008
    media?id=8478588&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200931194735407
    media?id=8266381&width=400&height=300

http://www.sellcars.ie/car-list/Ford-Puma-private-seller-dealer-Sligo-4,17067.html
    4fde5ecec7aeee4541a6078552e88ca2.jpg

If you want something really different, cracking little car to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

personally i think you're mad spending your money on a 10 year old beemer.

I know where your coming from, im only gone 19, had my first car when i was 18. and yes, i wanted a big powerful car but when looking at it realistically it was a bit of a mad idea. i got some similar advice from some family and friends, ie. buy a smaller car and save up some NCB and easier to run. So i bought a 1.4 astra, great little car and prob would give a heavier, more powerful car a good run for its money. i now have 1 years NCB and more money than i had when i first bought the car. now in another year or 2 i can go and buy a bigger engined car and the insurance wont cripple me (as much;))

just take some time to think about it, there will be running costs, repairs, servicing, tax, insurance.... all more expensive on a bigger car. they're the things i didnt think about

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pablosd wrote: »
    its power to weight ratio that makes them slow, and (small)power(for the car) has to travel all the way to the rear wheels creating bit of a delay/hesitation
    FR cars are not as responsive as FF or RR cars (unless they have serious power)

I've no idea what you're on about there :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tbh I think you sould just save your money. An 18 year old spending almost 10k on a car is just silly imo.

Stick with the micra, when you have built up a bit of NCB then spoil yourself, but you're limited right now by insurance companies, no point in buying a car just because you can, that's a waste of 8k! Wait a while and by the car you want to buy.

watta about a mazda?or something else something powerful and stylish above im not really into thanks tho really appreiate all you help and guidance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I've no idea what you're on about there :confused:

When you step on the accelerator, the engine revs up and applies a torque to the big rubber band connecting the gearbox to the rear diff. It takes a while before the rubber band starts to unwind and transfer power to the rear axle.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

watta about a mazda?or something else something powerful and stylish above im not really into thanks tho really appreiate all you help and guidance!

What type of Mazda? Have a look on carzone maybe at a few different cars and come back with a few possibilities maybe.

One thing - and I'm not slating you here or anything - you said a few times about wanting something fast and powerful. After 6 months driving I'd hold off until you are more experienced behind the wheel. Not saying you need to buy something with a hamster running in a wheel under the bonnet either though.

You have a good budget so that'll allow a lot of posibilities

tbh im not good with cars just know when i like one so im not sure now what to get at all think ill b dropping the beamer idea :(

Well, there's this -

media?id=8332963&width=400&height=300

Or this -

media?id=8502875&width=400&height=300

I can guess what you'll pick, and before you say it, you havent a hope. ;)

Sorry, but 18 year old + fast and powerful = disaster waiting to happen.

What kind of cars do you like other than a BMW? What's wrong with the ones above? I would have killed for any of those cars when I was your age ffs!

I think you should make a smart choice, and not an 18 year old choice whereby your main priority is ''vroom vroom'' and impressing your mates.

what about this one

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3381961#

or another stupid choice?

Well it's not exactly cheap. 8k for a pushing 9 year old 2 litre petrol Jeep could be spent better elsewhere. You'll have hefty tax and fuel costs (but if you dont do a lot of mileage it wont matter much). I dunno about insurance. I'd keep it below a 1.6 to be honest to keep them somewhat sensible.

Does your budget include insurance?

• Advertisement

Awful, awful car.

You need to be trying to keep the engine size under 1.6, or else your just going to be throwing stupid money at insurance companies.

Try and get a quote for insurance on the Toyota above, and let us know how you get on.

8,000euro for the car 2-3,000 for insurance so total 11,000euro max,and no its not my oarents money i saved it all myself work my ass off for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you enquired about insurance costs on any of these cars you have looked at? At 17/18 with only 6 months driving experience it is not going to be easy or cheap to insure any of these cars especially those of the 1.8/2.0 litre variety.

again thanks i was being stupid im starting to be realstic now

am i more on the line with this one

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3275771#

Ring an insurance company give them the details for that Golf, tell them you just got your full licence.

Let us know what they quote you.

• Advertisement

again thanks i was being stupid im starting to be realstic now

am i more on the line with this one

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3275771#

Something along those lines would be better

Same mechanicals to Golf but better kit and looks

Can't really go wrong with these

Also, prices on carzone etc are asking prices so haggle a bit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But there are far better out there for the money, you'd have a lot more fun in something like a Ford Puma 1.6 (103Bhp), or a 1.7(125Bhp) if you can find one! And they're cheap.

Self-defeating. Pumas have a rep for the same reason as the Beemer and thus have insurance to match :( Even the 1.6 is pricey to insure. But the 1.4 is realistic and has a lot more grunt than the 1.4 in the Focus. Plus Pumas just kick ass. Even if they are just remodelled, big-engined Fiestas :D

If you really need the power (and think you have a hope in hell of controlling it!) then try a 1.6 Focus. Very cheap to maintain and insure compared to, well, any 1.6. In fact they're cheaper in those regards than most 1.4s :D And I'd recommend a car with good feel and handling if you want to adjust to the extra power (compared to the Micra!) more seamlessly.

Another option - albeit not so sexy - is a 1.4 Astra. Again, cheap enough to maintain and insure, and has a great feel on the road. Mk3/4 are quite low to the ground and have great feedback on the steering, easily beating the "high-up" Focus in those respects. Plus the 1.4 has nearly the same grunt as the stock 1.6 Focus. Easily beat by the Focus in terms of comfort and refinement though. You're more likely to remain glued to the road in the Astra, and more likely to forget yourself and drive at a nice slow safe pace (in spite of yourself) in the Focus. Such relaxing cars! :D

Opinion over the Mk5 Astra is divided. The Golf is a bit pricey to purchase, maintain and insure IMHO. If you want a VW then keep a closer eye on Skoda and Seat. Also bear in mind that the new Corsa isn't the most powerful 1.2 on the market but it still has a lot more go than some old Micra :P

End of the day, try to keep bhp under 100 (for insurance and adjustment from the Micra as well as overall safety) and don't try to sprint before you can walk! ;)

Advertisement