Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

onkyo doesnt seem to upscale.

• 18-08-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

i have a onkyo tx-sr606 with a sky+ box connected via scart to the component connections and hdmi cable to the 50" hd ready samsumg. the output resolution is set to 1080i but i dont see an improvement i think every thing is as should be, but im stuck is there something wrong with my amp. anyone got any ideas on this.
    thanks people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

does the 606 upscale according to the user manual? I know many recievers of that age and price did upconversion but not up scaling.
    If it is supposed to then you are going to have to read up where to change the output settings.
    You might get a better picture at 720p too so try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

i dont see upscaling mentioned in the manual now that you say, i see upconversion mentioned, so what is upconversion, im showing my ignorance now. i cant see the add on ebay anymore but im sure it said it would upscale, other sellers on ebay say it will upscale.
    thanks for your help so far nereid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The Onkyo 606 will upscale component to 1080i - I agree with nereid, you should set the Onkyo to output 720p, this is likely to be better dealt with by a HD Ready screen.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

thanks ritz, thought id been riped off there. it might look a little better on 720p i cant be sure though one thing i do notice is the on screen volume display does change with the change in resolution. i am still a bit disappointed with this upscaling malarkey. maybe im expecting too much, or maybe i should have splashed out on full hd, but 799 for the 50" samsung was just too attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

cabbott wrote: »
    thanks ritz, thought id been riped off there. it might look a little better on 720p i cant be sure though one thing i do notice is the on screen volume display does change with the change in resolution. i am still a bit disappointed with this upscaling malarkey. maybe im expecting too much, or maybe i should have splashed out on full hd, but 799 for the 50" samsung was just too attractive.
    The upscaling isn't going to blow your mind anyway to be honest. Remember - garbage in, garbage out. And to be honest, the TV signals we're getting from most channels isn't much above the garbage quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Really you need a HD source to get the best from your telly; upscaling won't produce a real HD picture. The "full HD" thing is a lot of crap and makes little or no difference to SD sources - could even makes it worse.

You might find the PQ better if you let the TV do the scaling (i.e. set the Onkyo to out "original" signal resolution, probably 576i).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

The Ritz wrote: »
    The Onkyo 606 will upscale component to 1080i - I agree with nereid, you should set the Onkyo to output 720p, this is likely to be better dealt with by a HD Ready screen.

Ritz.
    I have a the same amp and when I input a 1080p it outputs a 1080p as it comes up on my Sony TV that it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

cabbott wrote: »
    i have a onkyo tx-sr606 with a sky+ box connected via scart to the component connections and hdmi cable to the 50" hd ready samsumg. the output resolution is set to 1080i but i dont see an improvement i think every thing is as should be, but im stuck is there something wrong with my amp. anyone got any ideas on this.
    thanks people.
    How do you find the Onkyo 606? I think it's a great amp if a little bit complicated to get the full whack from it.

Advertisement