Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "answer me" subjects discussion thread ...

Options
  • 18-08-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am going into 5th year this september and i am wondering what do you think about my subjects they are

Maths
    Irish
    English
    French
    Geography
    Biology
    Home economics

I was thinking of maybe switching Home economics with agg science what do you think which is better choice for me?

What should i do about my subjects 35 votes

The ones listed
    0%
    Change Home economics with agg science
    54%
    Nirinadave-higgzElli-MayzonEEEayumiManchomonaghanmissusdamienricefanJammycdaithiolabhraiHomicidal_jesusHellsingGear9992Daragh101GallowsGhostSaul-GoodSlow Showbrothersportlegallyblonde30 19 votes
    Change one of the other subjects
    45%
    tootyfluttyJSK 252Remmyherissondaithi_studentSecoundrowChiefBrodyaine-maireMalloxunknown13SayshaGallowsGhostgermanicuscian_s_obrienbrothersportVamp 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

My advice would be not to pick french if your only picking it to get into college. You can get a d3 in pass with a months study. Ag science is a good subject. So is physics, and if your looking for points, do phys/chem outside school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I really fail to see how anybody is going to be able to tell you what subjects are suited to you considering this is the internet, no one here knows you and you have provided very little information. Your school should have a guidance counsellor, try talking to them maybe? Or even a class/year tutor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Change Home economics with agg science
    The choices I had were History, Economics and Geography. I wouldn't necessarily recommend either History nor Economics but Geography is a very interesting and manageable course, I highly recommend that!

I don't know much about Home Ec or Ag Science but I've heard from people I know doing it about the epic project they have to do in Ag science. A lot of them had trouble with it, I think it's like 100 pages long or something and you might not even interviewed about it.

I'm in no way a good source of information on the other subjects but I do highly recommend Geography.

Good luck and remember that you can always change your mind and switch subjects as late as 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Saysha

Ag science is a bit daunting at first because there's so much on the course, but it's an easy enough subject to get a high grade in. There were people in my class who were getting C grades throughout the year and recieved an A1 in the leaving cert this year with little effort. But do not listen to people who tell you it's got lots of links to the biology course- not true at all!! I dropped it myself after 5th year because I just had no interest in it. I wish I'd kept it on now after seeing how easy it can be to get a high grade in it. Too late now, but I still got 425 in my leaving cert with only 6 subjects, 2 at ordinary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

OP half the ag sceince course is delt wit at a much higher standard in biology
    ie. Some of the stuff in HL ag sceince is easier than OL biology

The crossover is massive
    Do ag sceice with biology

I did, and dont regret it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Kersmash wrote: »
    I really fail to see how anybody is going to be able to tell you what subjects are suited to you considering this is the internet, no one here knows you and you have provided very little information. Your school should have a guidance counsellor, try talking to them maybe? Or even a class/year tutor.
    Agreed ... and it certainly doesn't need multiple threads.

Answer me, if you told us why you are trying to make up your mind between HomeEc and AgSci, and what you see as the advantages / disadvantages of each, people might actually be able to give you some useful feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ok, sorry answerme for writing in your thread but i didnt really see any point in starting another thread on a topic that has simalarities.
    Im going into 5th year and have decided to do chemistry. Im not great at maths to be honest. Did honours for the JC, got grinds and i say a scraped a C (have to wait til sep9th!). Im planning on doing pass maths for the LC since i really dont like maths! But im really into science. Would i find chemisty difficult since im not a 'mathematical' person? Thanks :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Didnt do Chemistry, but from what I've heard it's not as maths based as physics...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ok, sorry answerme for writing in your thread but i didnt really see any point in starting another thread on a topic that has simalarities.
    Im going into 5th year and have decided to do chemistry. Im not great at maths to be honest. Did honours for the JC, got grinds and i say a scraped a C (have to wait til sep9th!). Im planning on doing pass maths for the LC since i really dont like maths! But im really into science. Would i find chemisty difficult since im not a 'mathematical' person? Thanks :).

Ordinary level maths would certainly be sufficient. Very simple alegbra, and some manipulation of formulas, especially for Gas Laws but it aint rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

te=soccymonster;61695422]Ok, sorry answerme for writing in your thread but i didnt really see any point in starting another thread on a topic that has simalarities.[quo
    Im going into 5th year and have decided to do chemistry. Im not great at maths to be honest. Did honours for the JC, got grinds and i say a scraped a C (have to wait til sep9th!). Im planning on doing pass maths for the LC since i really dont like maths! But im really into science. Would i find chemisty difficult since im not a 'mathematical' person? Thanks :).[/quote]

Chemistry i don't think has that much maths and doing pass maths in the leaving is grand bacuse i donr pass in the junior so am going to do pass again for leaving cert

what other subjects you going doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Chemistry i don't think has that much maths and doing pass maths in the leaving is grand bacuse i donr pass in the junior so am going to do pass again for leaving cert

what other subjects you going doing?

You did Pass Maths in the JC and you reckon you want an 8th subject?:rolleyes:

@Answerme, im doing ecomonics, bio and french too :). What about yourself?

@reillyman, LOL! nothing is impossible! :D

@Answerme, im doing ecomonics, bio and french too :). What about yourself?

@reillyman, LOL! nothing is impossible! :D

The ones i am doing are above what levels are you going doing them at?

answer me wrote: »
    The ones i am doing are above what levels are you going doing them at?

all higher except for maths, i guess..
    Depends on how i did in the JC but i say i did well enough to do honours *touch wood*.
    You?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Would i find chemisty difficult since im not a 'mathematical' person? Thanks :).

No, there's fúck all maths in Chemistry. Worst bit of it is just learning the theory, but that's usually the same for any subject. There are a few mathematical related questions but it's really easy, basic algebra type stuff. I noticed a tiny bit of overlap between that and the OL Maths course actually...

all higher except for maths, i guess..
    Depends on how i did in the JC but i say i did well enough to do honours *touch wood*.
    You?

I think maths,irish pass and then not to sure about French but the rest honours

Just wondering if you do say pass French in the JC can you do honours French in the LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Come down off your high horse, the plural doesn't take an apostrophe:p
    The plural of a letter does, to avoid confusion.
    But im really into science. Would i find chemisty difficult since im not a 'mathematical' person? Thanks :).
    Some questions require some elementary algebra (rearranging equations) but not much. But you won't get far on a university science course without an adequate level of maths.

I think maths,irish pass and then not to sure about French but the rest honours

Just wondering if you do say pass French in the JC can you do honours French in the LC?

eh, well id say that you'd find it much more difficult to do honours french then the actual students that did honours for the JC anyways.
    Id say you could like.. But you'd have to think about the amount of extra work you'd have to do as well just to improve and stuff. :/

eh, well id say that you'd find it much more difficult to do honours french then the actual students that did honours for the JC anyways.
    Id say you could like.. But you'd have to think about the amount of extra work you'd have to do as well just to improve and stuff. :/

I don't even know why i dropped down in the jc i got a B in it in the end.
    So would you go from ol to hl?

And what should i do
    Go from ol french in the jc where i got a B to hl french in the lc

or

Go from hl english in the jc where i got a D to hl or ol in the lc

:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Vamp

Would defo advise ag... Easy subject to do alright in, but little more difficult to do really well in. I f your interested in it you'll do grand. Home ec is no walk in the park, with ag a bit of solid effort with projects and on coursework in the 2nd half of 6th yr and you'll be grand.:)

• Advertisement

Vamp wrote: »
    Would defo advise ag... Easy subject to do alright in, but little more difficult to do really well in. I f your interested in it you'll do grand. Home ec is no walk in the park, with ag a bit of solid effort with projects and on coursework in the 2nd half of 6th yr and you'll be grand.:)

thanks for your answer:)

I was put into honours ENGLISH today and i really don't want to do it, you see i am already doing 3 pass and 3 honours and then whichever one i pick for english.

I got a D in the junior cert

Should i move down?I was never really good at english, or should i keep english at higher level and then hope i get better points than a A1 in pass?
    Also, i do not have a clue what i am going to do when i leave school

:confused::eek::(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

were you moved into honours because there were too many in the pass class?

maybe the honours class will be split between honours and pass down the line. There's an overlap between honours and pass except for the comparative where although you can do the same texts you have different comparative modes.

See how it goes for a month and if you don't like it ask the teacher if you can just focus on the pass sections. There will be others like you too in that class who want to do pass.

On the day of the exam nobody can stop you doing pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Was the D in honours? I don't see any reason why you couldn't do Hons for the LC so, you were probably put in it for a reason. Keep at it as long as you can. A 'D' in Hons is better to aim for and far more realistic than an A in Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

deemark wrote: »
    A 'D' in Hons is better to aim for and far more realistic than an A in Pass.
    And I here it's generally easier to get a C3 in honours than it is to get an A1 in pass. So unless your in danger of failing its always worth it to do honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Do honours and work hard. It's worth it. You will get an honour with hard work.

i just don't think i willl be able for all the work :confused:

I know i should keep honours but if i don't change soon the pass class will get to full and then i will be stuck doing honours:mad::(:(:(

i don't know what i want to do when i leave school so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Do pass. Focus on your 3 honours subjects and don't be putting yourself under unnecessary pressure. You don't have to know exactly what you want to do now but if you were thinking of NUI colleges then you would need at least 5 honours subjects with honours to get the points for most courses so doing honours english won't help you there.

Lots of degree courses in the Institutes of Technology's require 2 honours subjects so focus on that as your goal. 3 is a good total to have because it means you can mess up on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

i just don't think i willl be able for all the work :confused:

I know i should keep honours but if i don't change soon the pass class will get to full and then i will be stuck doing honours:mad::(:(:(

i don't know what i want to do when i leave school so

Not knowing what you want to do means you definitely need to keep your options open! There is a bit more writing, but you still have to cover 3 texts for your comparative, a single and poetry in OL. Paper One works the same way for HL and OL. No major difference in the amount of material to be covered.

You're not there long enough to know that you won't be able for it. What are you basing this on? Your JC results? You passed a HL paper and anyway your result doesn't mean anything, it's the LC you're facing into now. I've often taken OL students from JC into HL classes and they have passed and better in the LC.

Don't cut down your options so early. Even if you're 'stuck' in the HL class, no teacher will force you to do HL on the day of your LC. Being in this class will nearly guarantee a high mark in OL.

• Advertisement

Kinda same thing happened with me.
    Was put into the honours maths class yesterday (got a B in the JC which Im sure is a fluke!). I know I won't be able to handle honours maths, simple as. But I can't move down until flippin' November when we have a common test. :mad:

But anywhos, Id say stay with HL english. Read lotsa books and stuff. And work your ass off! :).
    These things have to be done..

Advertisement