Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOR\PIX.IE Photo exhibition

Options
  • 18-08-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Starting on thursday and running until saturday there will be an exhibition of photographs of the volvo ocean race stopover. The exhibitions is in conjunction with the pix.ie photo competition which ran during the stop over.
    The times are from 10-6 each day. The announcement of winners will take place on thursday at 5.30 in Merchant’s Hall on merchants road.

I will have one of my photos exhibited! woohoo! Anyone else from here who took photos during the stop over enter the comp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Yeah , same here got the email from Marcus at Pix.ie with the contact info for letsdoitgalway requesting to use one of my photo's.
    Opening on Thursday evening (5:30pm) so might pop down and have a look. Should be good hopefully! I think they're announcing the winner overall of the Pix.ie photo upload contest too on Thursday at the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Thanks for letting us know, will pop in to check that out!
    Best of luck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Um, where's the exhibition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

merchants hall on merchants road. Where mcdonaghs used to be

skelliser wrote: »
    merchants hall on merchants road. Where mcdonaghs used to be

Oh right where Lets Do It Galway had their HQ. Will defo check it out thanks for lettin me know

• Advertisement

Article here in our local tat mag.
    They did well with 17,000 photos uploaded! Nice to be in the Top 100 :D

Feck, just checked the days of the exhibition, won't be around :(

I thought it was rather short myself, seeing as the building has been sitting empty for the last while, I thought they might be able to have the exhibition running a bit longer than three days. Seems a bit rushed as they only contacted me on tuesday to get a copy of the photo to print, and the things opening tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Yep, will be taking a look myself. I have two pictures in there, don't think the two that they picket are much cop myself though. Wonder who the winner was?

Saw the winner yesterday, its a nice photo but I dont know that it was better than some of the others there. There certainly wasn't 100 photos up anyways... Was a bit of an awkward atmosphere when I went in for some reason, didn't see my photo up either. Will check again on Saturday sure, they might have it all up and ready then.

• Advertisement

didnt see my photo either, think its up on one of the projectors, i believe only a selection are and will be on the walls, pretty dissappointed that they didnt print all of them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rj55

Hi Guys,

So it seems that the 100 photos shortlisted are all not on display? I take it that the winners and the five highly commended photos are printed out and on display? I was lucky enough to have my photo "Red Arrows over Salthill" in the highly commended ones.

I was going to go down to Galway from Dublin today to have a look.

It probably would be up on the wall if it was one of the top 5. They are slightly larger than your average photo print, framed in a black border (from memory) and hung on the wall. I think you should go down and have a look but I imagine after a train/car journey down from Dublin you will be a bit underwhelmed.
    I will say however that they were giving out "goodie" bags and the winners photo was in each one in a cardboard frame which was a very good idea.

majiktripp wrote: »
    Saw the winner yesterday, its a nice photo but I dont know that it was better than some of the others there. There certainly wasn't 100 photos up anyways... Was a bit of an awkward atmosphere when I went in for some reason, didn't see my photo up either. Will check again on Saturday sure, they might have it all up and ready then.

Took a trip down today and, IMHO, after the fantastic two week spetacle that they provided back in May/June, they really let themselves down on this one. Only 34 pictures on the wall in an advertised exhibition of 100, I did see one of mine but the other was nowhere to be seen, even on the slide show. Like you say, Majiktripp, the winning picture was nothing special and there were others there that could well have deserved that place. The picture was not straight, was not centered and the boats were too low. I have my suspitions that the picture was cropped to hide where a finger was across the lens as a pink/red mark could be plainly seen in the bottom right hand corner. This is not me with any sort of bad feelings toward the winner as I stated in my previous post that I thought that the pictures of mine that they picked were not the better ones of mine. I think that the winner of the Fahy Photo competition and a couple of the runners up would have knocked the socks off those top few. I am not the judge, who was suppose to be a top photographer and I am no expert, also congrats to the winner anyway, well done. If the winner is on here, please don't take my criticism too seriously as it is meant to be constructive. At the end of the day, whoever it was, has a good eye for a picture.

Edit: I was talking to the girl at the door and she said that there was talk of the pictures going on display in the Eyre square centre for a while then being taken on a tour of some of the sailing clubs around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Found the link :D

some nice photos was down there earlier

was a lot of photos there that were totally amazing

well done to all involved

vor winners

Saw yours there Vulcan :)

minxie wrote: »
    Found the link :D
    vor winners

Saw yours there Vulcan :)

Different Photo competition you linked to there! (Not that I mind, runner up will do me!)
    I thought Fahy Foto handled the whole thing better than Lets Do It Galway did to be honest. It would be nice to see the photo's doing a tour of sailing clubs (as Vulcan says they may well do) but I feel that they could have at least printed the top 5 in enlarged sizes than the rest of the 100 runners up, and definitely should have laid the whole affair out better in the space they have in the Merchants Hall building.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

was disappointed with the quantity on display... and with the winning choices, especially the 2nd place one.

there were much better entries on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Hi guys,

This thread popped up on my radar as we are mentioned in the title... :)

I haven't seen the exhibition myself nor were we involved with any its organisation so I can't comment on all of the points mentioned above. What I do know if that the idea of holding a small exhibition was probably had quite late in the day and all things considered I think was actually a really nice gesture of appreciation for the winners and those selected.

Regarding the number of prints on display, we were asked to contact the photographers who took the 100 selected photos, but not everyone replied. It's also possible that not everyone wanted their photos included for whatever reason and I would suspect that this is partly the reason for the exhibition not showing the full 100 images.

The full set of 100 selected images can be viewed online here: http://pix.ie/explore/tag/vorexhibition/top and I just saw on Twitter this evening that one of the Pixie community actually took some photos at the exhibition and posted them here: http://pix.ie/aafke/album/352235

In many ways the overall project was a huge success and regardless of whether you agree with the judge David Branigan's choices as I look at the 17,000+ photos that were uploaded I can't help but think WOW - everyone really pulled together to make this happen.

Marcus

Hi guys,

Regarding the number of prints on display, we were asked to contact the photographers who took the 100 selected photos, but not everyone replied. It's also possible that not everyone wanted their photos included for whatever reason and I would suspect that this is partly the reason for the exhibition not showing the full 100 images.

Marcus

Marcus, I was asked for the use of 2 of my pictures and gave permission for them to be used. Only 1 appeared in the exhibition. I agree that the whole exercise of uploading all the pictures was a success and the interest that it generated was incredible, but there seems to something lacking, to say the least in the final presentation. I understand that you do not have anything to do with the exhibition itself, well done for the great job that you did at Pix.ie for organising the posts in the first place though.

i got this email today
    Dear all,

Just to let you know that following the great success of the recent weekend exhibition of the 100 shortlisted photos (including yours) we, together with the Western Development Commission, have now moved the exhibition to the Eyre Square Centre where it will reside for the month of September.

We have now also printed all 100 photos. You will recall that in the previous exhibition approx 1/3 were exhibited in printed format and the remaining 2/3 were displayed on the two giant screens. Now all photos are on display in the same print format.
    I hope you get the chance to come and have a look during September and please do spread the word.

Many thanks,

• Advertisement

Wow that was quick just this minute got that message and you still beat me to it! Glad to see that all the pictures will now be on show in print form.

ya they have learnt from there initial mistake!

i wonder will we get the prints after?

Have to admit reading that following the great success of the recent weekend exhibition shocked me a bit but will be nice to see them all in printed format. Fair play to Eyre Square centre for taking them in.

Advertisement