Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning about risks to children of window-blind cords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue in the sense of this forum.

Moved to Parenting.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Yep, heard about that report on the radio a few weeks back.
    Simple things can be a hazard to littl' uns. Don't know if anyone remembers the little boy who was strangled with the cord on his coat when they tried to climb out of the window after being accidentally stuck in school (in Co. Galway last year or year before).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

15 years ago I used to lie down with my 1 year old son in the afternoon to try get him to sleep. One afternoon I actually fell asleep and he crawled to the end of the bed.
    I don't know was it divine intervention or a mothers instinct but I awoke with a start just in time to see him go off the end of the bed with the cord of the blind wrapped around his neck.
    Scared the daylights outta me, thankfully he was okay but I dread to think what would've happened if I hadn't suddenly woken up.
    Needless to say, I spent the afternoon tying up all the cords and never lay down next to him at nap time after that event....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Similar situation with us one day. We were staying in an old house in the country and the window cills was very big because the walls must have been about 70cm thick. So we all used to use the cills as window seats. Was reading in the sitting room and little one (must have been about 3 at the time) was playing on the windowsill. And begging to go outside, but I wouldn't let them, because it was freezing. So she was just playing happily and eventually stood up, lost her footing and fell off the cill with the cord around her neck. I thank God everyday that I was in the room at the time....

Advertisement