Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shift roster problem

Options
  • 18-08-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just want to get your thoughts on this.

Background - I'm working p/t at the moment and have to check the roster every week to find out when I'm next in week. The roster is both available on a network drive and most times is printed up on a noticeboard, but workers follow the digital roster as its often the most up to date. There have been a few occasions in the recent past where the roster has been updated and workers informed, they subsequently did not show and when questioned they stated the roster was changed on them and they were not informed. Management understood this and the issue was then forgotten. This has occurred to me twice in the past and to a number of other colleagues.

Problem - Last week, however, I was in on Sunday 9th. The roster was completed up to Thursday 13th so i could not know when I was due in after Thursday 13th. I was then in Wednesday 12th and I checked the roster again at 10am. It was completed for the following two weeks and I was down for the usual shift of Sun, Wed, Thurs each week. I then worked Thursday the 13th as per the roster. I then got a call Firday 14th morning from work which I could not take as I was busy and no voicemail was left, I did not follow up. Later that day I took another call from work claiming that I was due in work that day. I begged to differ and said the roster was probably changed and no one informed me. They claimed that the roster was done Wednesday morning and printed and posted on the notice board. I agreed as the next two weeks had been completed, but the manager stated that I was down for Friday I reckon was changed after I checked Wednesday 12th. Basically the manager was not willing to discuss and stated that this would be an unauthorised day of absence.

I was pretty annoyed at this stage. An unauthorised day of absence is classed as gross miss conduct and I definitely don't want this down on any record. They also said I wont be getting paid for the hours I 'missed' and they would not be allowing me work the Saturday I was originally rostered for. I checked the contract and the job has to give me 'reasonable' notice of hours to be worked. What I want to know is what is reasonable? I think it is pretty reasonable that I checked it Wednesday 12th, saw it was updated and took note of when I was in. I got a friend of mine to see when it was printed last (in the file properties) and by who (a manager) and it said 12.30pm on wednesday 12th, after I had originally checked it. I have a picture of this.

Is this enough to challenge their word? If I check the roster and it is changed, does an employer not have to inform you directly? Do I have any case that this is a regular occurrence? I'm probably going to HR about this and just want to know others thoughts.

Advertisement