Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you vegetarian/vegan?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Is is because you dont like the taste or hurting animals or is it spiritual? And whats the difference between vegetarian and vegan? And do you ever get cravings for meat/ever breakout after a night on the beer and say "feck it shur go on Ill have a kebab". Are there rules? Are vegetarians/vegans healthier than meat eaters (considering it seems so impossible for meat eaters to get our 5 a day).
    Sorry so many qs. Am just interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Is is because you dont like the taste or hurting animals or is it spiritual?
    animal cruelty is the reason I'm vegetarian
    And whats the difference between vegetarian and vegan?
    Vegetarians don't eat meat, vegans don't eat meat/dairy/eggs or anything animal related.
    And do you ever get cravings for meat/ever breakout after a night on the beer and say "feck it shur go on Ill have a kebab".
    No, I usually just have a curry chips or somethin after a night out.
    Are there rules?
    I don't follow any "rules", I just don't eat meat.
    Are vegetarians/vegans healthier than meat eaters (considering it seems so impossible for meat eaters to get our 5 a day).
    Statistically vegetarians are healthier yes and live longer. Obviously there are unhealthy vegetarians also. That's up to the individual person and their lifestyle.

No problem at all! Welcome to the forum! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ive never been a big eater, really, and most meat except pig wasn't too my liking for most of my life, but it was after seeing some docos on the state that most animals bred for meat are kept, particularly the cheaper stuff that i ate back then that i decided to only eat free range food.

of course, then it dawned on me that i couldnt afford it, so i figured that i'd take the opportunity to go vegetarian and force myself into eating a healthier, more varied diet.
    what jape said. although i am veggie and i dont use most animal based products, e.g. leather, stuff tested on animals (as much as i can, still learning new things), wear fur etc... but im ok with milk, free range egg and wool, as long as the animal wasnt killed to get it and, to the best of my knowledge, is treated well for it to be obtained.
    And do you ever get cravings for meat/ever breakout after a night on the beer and say "feck it shur go on Ill have a kebab".
    i did in the initial months after turning veggie... crave pig and i *think* i had a supermacs burger one night while spectacularly inebriated. but there is no receipt and i can't actually remember, so it doesnt count >_>

but nah, im grand now, feel vaguely nauseated at the thought of eating meat, really. plus, nz is great for falafal. mmmm....

Are there rules?

yep, but it's up to yourself whether you keep it or not. im slowly trying to phase out stuff with gelatine in it, which im finding extremely difficult at hte moment.

i suppose technically i shouldnt be eating cochwhateveritscalled... that stuff made from beetle, but i honestly have no problem killing spiders ****ing dead, so im not especially fussed about that tbh. hypocritical? probably, but we all are to some degree, imo.

Are vegetarians/vegans healthier than meat eaters (considering it seems so impossible for meat eaters to get our 5 a day).
    depends on the person, i reckon. up till recently, i basically lived on tea and toast and feck all else (chocolate, mostly)... but following a proper veggie diet, you're more likely to be getting in your 5 a day, plus you do tend to be a lot more conscious of getting proteins etc in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I became a vegetarian because i love animals have loads of pets. I just couldnt stomach what I was eating anymore. I've been a vegetarian since I was 10 years old. I liked the taste of certain meat but couldn't eat it anymore. I missed rasher sandwiches most but never had one. I would never ever feel like eating meat now but i've been vegetarian for 15 years now.

I was a very unhealthy vegetarian when I was a kid cos I didnt eat all that many vegetables lived on pizza, chips and pasta :D But now that i'm older I love vegetables. I'm extremely weird about my food.

When I was younger I didn't know that Jelly, sweets and certain cheese were not vegetarian friendly so when I figured that out in my early teens I stopped eating those things.

I have no problem with meat, i'll cook it for other people I just won;t eat it myself. I would certainly never push being a vegetarian on anyone its a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

I am a vegetarian because I do a lot of volunteer work with animals and started to feel like a hypocrite when I was eating meat. I got to know that all animals even pigs and chickens etc. have their own little personalities.
    I also did research into meat eating and learnt how horrible the industry is and how the animals don't have good lifes and how unsustainable the whole industry is.

I do get cravings for meat every now and again which is only natural as I've eaten meat for a number of years (they have lessened over time of course) but I have never eaten meat because of a craving, I simply buy some faux chicken or beef and since I can't taste the difference it satisfys my craving.

A diet is a very personal thing so every vegetarian or even non-vegetarians are going to have their own "rules". Mine is just don't eat meat and try vegan alternatives to egg and dairy as much as possible.

Personally I believe that vegetarians are more healthy because I have found that since turning vegetarian I never get sick, i've lost weight, my skin is clearer and when everyone else in the office is dying with a cold I never get it.
    It is very easy for vegetarians to get their 5 a day too and I always get my 5 a day or more every day and I would never change that because I feel amazing and have so much energy!

Hope this helps to answer your questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

I'm opposed to cruelty to animals but what pushed me to turn towards vegetarianism was the effect of intensive farming on the environment and its contribution to climate change.
    In the beginning, I found people around me (meat eaters) were unsupportive and mocking of my decision and if I tried to explain why I became a vegetarian, I was laughed at. It is only recently after years that I feel comfortable explaining why.
    In terms of cravings for meat, I can't say i've ever been tempted. I love garlic chips anyway!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I "became" a vegetarian because I was born one (damn hippie parents), but I stayed one long after my siblings and parents started or resumed eating meat for one reason: I think it's icky. Having never eaten meat, when I see it, I don't see food, I see flesh. I was an animal nut when I was little, and though I do care (in a very passive "oh jaysis that's awful. what's on the other channel?" kind of way) about the cruelty involved in the industry, for me it's more of a basic physical reaction to the notion of eating dead bodies. I accept that it's a very, very personal choice and don't give two ****s if other people eat meat, I just don't think I could actually physically bring myself to do it, especially when there's absolutely no reason to.

As for veganism, that was something I just kind of fell into. I worked with a vegan when I was about 17 and that was the first time I was ever really interested in it, and as soon as I started to think about it I started to feel the same way about dairy and eggs as I do about meat (though not to the same extent). I did a few trial runs of completely vegan eating for a week or so, tried out the recipes, read up on the nutrition and decided it suited me.

I'm still not completely vegan, as in I'll have some cheese on toast or a dairy milk every once in a while. And I'm not an obsessive label checker, but I don't eat much processed food anyway so it doesn't affect me too much. I'll check the obvious things like cheese and juice and stuff, and I'll do a quick check on the back of the pack to see if there's a big flashy sign saying CONTAINS DAIRY, but m'eh

Sick of typing, too late for this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jape wrote: »
    Statistically vegetarians are healthier yes and live longer. Obviously there are unhealthy vegetarians also. That's up to the individual person and their lifestyle.
    Co-relation does not imply causation.

I think that anybody that follow and sort of sustainable long term diet will be healthier. I use the term sustainable to weed out various fad diets that omit various dietary requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Mellor wrote: »

I think that anybody that follow and sort of sustainable long term diet will be healthier. I use the term sustainable to weed out various fad diets that omit various dietary requirements.

I agree with you, but I think another reason for that is a lot of meat consumed today is processed and poor quality. Can't be too healthy in the long-term. Even though I am vegetarian, I actually believe a balanced diet of good quality foods (organic meat if you aren't vegetarian) and fresh vegetables and fruit, etc is the key to a healthy lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i like this video. it gives a few arguments as to why you shouldn't be eating meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jape wrote: »
    I agree with you, but I think another reason for that is a lot of meat consumed today is processed and poor quality.

You could almost say the same about a lot of the veg out there as well though, food in general is crap/covered in crap unless you're prepared to pay extra and go for organic...

I went semi vegi (I'm a cheaty pescetarian) mostly due to hating animal cruelty, I had wanted to do it for years, but moving in with a pesci gf gave me the excuse to get my finger out and go ahead with it...
    Nearly gave in to a plate of dirty fried meat the morning after a big session, but apart from that I find it easy to resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I'm a vegan for health reasons. I'd like to say it was completely for the animals, but it's not! I just can't see what good meat or dairy does to your system, especially dairy. I do miss fish however, but I can do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I was born one, I'm told. I spat out the meaty stuff as a baby :rolleyes:
    It could be the taste, I may have been an overly moral child, but sure 'tis the way I am :P
    Though people have been trying to get me to eat meat recently, I think it's more them being curious to see if I can or if it'll have any significant changes to me overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm a vegan for health reasons. I'd like to say it was completely for the animals, but it's not! I just can't see what good meat or dairy does to your system, especially dairy. I do miss fish however, but I can do without.

similar to me I'd guess! The moral thing is a concern but it's really a side issue to the health benefits for me. I've never been a meat eater, but I've progressed from lacto-ovo veggie to lacto-veggie to vegan and I've found veganism to be the one that suits me best in terms of general energy levels and mood etc

edit: though I do sometimes find it hard to keep weight on on the vegan diet, I've been sick recently and I really noticed it (peanut butter smoothies ftw)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Long story... as a matter of fact, I don't have a lot of problems with animals being killed. I spent a big part of my childhood on a farm, and to me it's just a part of life there. However, I do have a serious problem with the way animals are kept and treated while still alive, or rather the way they are being mistreated and suffer just so someone can turn a nice profit.
    So, when I moved in with my now husband, who has been vegetarian for years, I stopped cooking meat at home. And since there are very few restaurants around that can or will guarantee the origin of their meats, I don't eat meat any more when going out either. Although I usually opt for the fish option (the non-farmed one, so no salmon and the like either).

Oh, don't get me started.... I keep hoping those will go away in time.
    Are there rules?

As in, are there rules to join the vegetarian club? Sort of, you're basically not allowed to eat any meat. Technically, I think the term for my diet would be pescetarian or something similar.
    But then, it's your diet, it's what you eat, and you shouldn't change that just to obtain some sort of obscure label to decorate your CV with.

Looking at my figure, no. You can just as easily eat vegetarian crap as you can meat crap. Keep in mind, there's not just veg out there, there's also chips, and crisps, and chocolates, and tons of other unhealthy stuff without any trace of meat in it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Mellor wrote: »

Good point, that.
    I think the reason why there is this statistical corelation is simply down to the fact that changing your diet from meat-eater to vegetarin in our current culture forces you to actually give a lot of thought to what you are actually eating.
    A lot of the ready-made junk food contains meat, so you either have to go for very little variety in your food or start cooking yourself.
    I think it's this necessary mindset about food and cooking that tends to lead to an overall healthier diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Shenshen wrote: »
    Good point, that.
    A lot of the ready-made junk food contains meat, so you either have to go for very little variety in your food or start cooking yourself.
    I think it's this necessary mindset about food and cooking that tends to lead to an overall healthier diet.

Since becoming vegan I've experimented with so many different vegetables, forms of grains, tofu and pulses that I'd hardly ever eaten before... and I LOVE cooking now, whereas I used to hate it! It really does open your mind to eating and make you conscious of what you put into your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

A poll might be good on this thread...
    Moral reasons for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

2 reasons for me being vegan.
    1. The thought of eating anything that came out of the inside of another animal is disgusting. That includes dairy and honey.
    2. I have read enough studies and books to know for sure that animal products (any amount of dairy and more than 3 ozs daily of grass fed organic meat) is seriously detrimental to my health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I gave meat up when I was 12 due to feeling uncomfortable eating animals but my health, which I had issues with, improved ten fold after only a few months of a veggie diet so I won't ever go back.

Nope never, not even when I had just given meat up. If I get cravings it's for sugar and soft drinks.

I am healthier on a veggie diet but that doesn't mean one is better then the other or that it is the best diet for everyone. I know plenty of veggies and omnivores who have poor diets and plenty who have great diets. Diet isn't just what you eat but the quality of the product your eating, the amount your eating and your own personal health and make up, among other factors.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

i like this video. it gives a few arguments as to why you shouldn't be eating meat.

I believe anyone should be allowed to eat whatever they feel is best for themselves but there are a lot of very disputable hypotheses in that film presented as fact.

There are prehistoric coprolites that prove humans have been eating meat for at least two million years. That's more than enough time to adapt to eating it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think the video is nonsense, wouldn't bother picking it apart and arguing better, anyway, it doesn't matter what is *natural* for anybody to eat, if we ate meat or were vegetarian in the past, doesn't mean we should be now. Anything that is healthy and goes with your morals is fine. My morals exclude unneccesary killing, therefore vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

For me it is because of how animals are raised, the fact they have their own little thoughts and feelings. When I think of eating meat, and what it is, I think who am I to decide that this living breathing creature should die to sustain me, when I'm well able to sustain myself without anything needing to die? There is also a spiritual aspect in it for me.
    Vegans eat nothing with animal products in it. Including dairy. It doesn't matter to them if the animal had to die to provide or not, they don't use animal products at all. There are also varying degrees of vegetarianism. I know people who call themselves vegetarian who continue to eat parmesan cheese, jellies, occasional meats, fish and other products which contain dead animals. I think this sort of dilutes people view on vegetarianism. If some veggies eat animal bits (no matter how hidden) and you don't it leads people to think that you are extra fussy and basicially a pain in the ass. When in reality, unless you cut all dead animal out of your diet, you're not really vegetarian. You may as well eat meat as parmesan. You're supporting the same industry and putting dead animal into your body either way IMO. In saying that, I do drink milk and loads of calves are killed every year due to this industry, so where do you draw the line.

haha, no, but I have to admit when cooking certain meats for my OH I love the smell. I just have to remind myself what it is though.

". Are there rules?
    No rules, anyone can call themselves vegetarian, whether they actually are or not. I was watching a programme where a lady was at a wedding. She was giving out about there being only red meat. He words went along the lines of "Oh I don't eat red meat, I'm practically vegan, I don't eat eggs or anything.... I wonder if I ask for some chicken if they will do it for me" :eek:

Are vegetarians/vegans healthier than meat eaters
    I'm a lot less healthy than my OH, and he eats meat. It depends on the person. I manage to eat enough veggie bad food as he does meaty bad food.

Advertisement