Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney donation

Options
  • 18-08-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

This may be the wrong place for this, so sorry if it is and feel free to move it :)

Basically, my uncle has kidney failure and has been on dialysis for the last four years. He originally had a kidney transplant 22 years ago and because he has built up antibodies he can now only have a transplant from a live donor and preferably family.

Tomorrow I am going to be tested to see if I am a match so I was just wondering if anyone knows what this entails? Is it just a blood test or will there be more?

Also, if I am a match and donate a kidney, what is recovery time like and what will the effect on me be, in the long run? I am a 20 year old female, if that makes any difference at all!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ahaskmearse

Just seen this message now. I'd love to know how you got on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am a match, but there is a LOT of counselling before the surgery so I still have two kidneys for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Novella wrote: »
    I am a match, but there is a LOT of counselling before the surgery so I still have two kidneys for the moment!
    Probably the healthiest/best kidney on the market!

I am willing to sell one of my kidney. I am 33 year old man, and I live in Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dude - you can't sell your kidneys on boards. try adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Firstly can i say that its a brave decision that your making and fair play to you for that.

As you found out there is a lot of counselling which is a good thing you need to prepared in every way. Secondly may i say that post-op,if it goes ahead your kidney function and general health will be monitored as well as your uncles,if not better,so you will be well looked after.

As a kidney recepitant i will say that if your uncle gets the transplany(and i hope he does) that his life will be immeasurably diffrent in all good ways,so once again may i say that your making a brave decision even considering it.

Best of luck and let us know how everything goes..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

tyiyru wrote: »
    Probably the healthiest/best kidney on the market!

I am willing to sell one of my kidney. I am 33 year old man, and I live in Sweden.

How do you know you have the healthiest / best kidney?! :confused:

I don't need a kidney so I suggest you look elsewhere.
    Firstly can i say that its a brave decision that your making and fair play to you for that.

As you found out there is a lot of counselling which is a good thing you need to prepared in every way. Secondly may i say that post-op,if it goes ahead your kidney function and general health will be monitored as well as your uncles,if not better,so you will be well looked after.

As a kidney recepitant i will say that if your uncle gets the transplany(and i hope he does) that his life will be immeasurably diffrent in all good ways,so once again may i say that your making a brave decision even considering it.

Best of luck and let us know how everything goes..:)

Thank you :)

Yeah! I thought it'd be like, "You're a match, see ya in theatre tomorrow!". The counselling is extreme though 'cause I'm 20 and female so it could complicate a pregnancy if I have one in future and also, they don't recommend alcohol consumption after!

I don't really mind tbh :) Thanks again!

Advertisement