Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone Know these People Pre 1966

• 19-08-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I Bought a Job Lot of old camera's many moons ago and when I opened one of them there was a Roll of Film in It. I managed to Save these one's
    and am still curious as to who the People are it seem's to be a street Photographer who took them in O'Connell Street and the Camera Jammed so they could not be collected.

Can't Seem to Post them Here so I put them here for the Time Being.

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/album.php?albumid=359

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

My mam used to know a street photog who shot peoples photos on O'Connell Bridge/Street back in the 60's. It was one of her friends fathers I think. He used to take people photos and they'd pay him and he'd send the pictures onto them. I'll get his name tomorrow. It probably isn't him but its worth a shot!?
    Stranger things have happened though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There is one photo that does bear a pretty good resemblance to some of my aunts funnily enough. I doubt it's them but sure I'll follow it up and find out.

Cool photos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No tracksuits or pyjamas in sight, they are all very well turned out. What have we become!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

66B933E646E34B389CA3AE65AA329FD7.jpg

There were a number of street photographers over the years but this guy's probably the best remembered. His name escapes me now. This photo was taken about '84 and he packed it in not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dec_

There is one photo that does bear a pretty good resemblance to some of my aunts funnily enough. I doubt it's them but sure I'll follow it up and find out.

Cool photos though.

That's what I'm looking for Someone may recognize themselves or their granny / Granddad etc.

• Advertisement

You're probably better off posting this in the Dublin City forum. Just scroll down on the "Region" category and you'll see it. On the top of the page there is a Historical Picture thread. I post up old comfo and communion and other odd Dublin curio photos there for the same purpose. No results but even still it would be appreciated over there as it is a drop in thread for those interested in such things.

One of the moderators of this forum could do it for you (shift the thread across).

humberklog wrote: »
    You're probably better off posting this in the Dublin City forum. Just scroll down on the "Region" category and you'll see it. On the top of the page there is a Historical Picture thread. I post up old comfo and communion and other odd Dublin curio photos there for the same purpose. No results but even still it would be appreciated over there as it is a drop in thread for those interested in such things.

One of the moderators of this forum could do it for you (shift the thread across).

I started a New thread there before reading the end bit about a Mod Shifting it for Me.

Dec you only posted it in East which is just a broad general section. If you scroll across at East there are more sub categories and one of them is Dublin City. No need to start another thread there though as there is the Historical Pictures thread in the stickies (Stickies are thread on the very top of the page). Sure leave this one here for now as you might get a response and then a moderator of this forum will bounce it over there when they see it.
    But in order for you to check for replies you should go over to that forum to make sure you can find your way about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Aw man, I would have loved to be part of the 60's - so bloody cool, they look fantastic!! Thats the one thing - if I could travel back into the past, thats where I would go. Everyone was so glamorous, stylish and the girls were amazing!!

Dec you only posted it in East which is just a broad general section. If you scroll across at East there are more sub categories and one of them is Dublin City. No need to start another thread there though as there is the Historical Pictures thread in the stickies (Stickies are thread on the very top of the page). Sure leave this one here for now as you might get a response and then a moderator of this forum will bounce it over there when they see it.
    But in order for you to check for replies you should go over to that forum to make sure you can find your way about.
    I found Historical Now. It is now in 3 Threads might need some sorting by a Mod.

• Advertisement

Yeah, ah it'll get sorted. Just pop your eye over the historical one now and again for responses. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I know it sounds silly but have you thought of offering them to any papers, even local papers, you never know one may be of interest and print one or two, you may find the owner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's amazing that film in a camera for close on half a century still processes quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Cool story , Id say a local paper would jump on that. People love a bit of nostalgia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not sure what has gone on here. Is it a double exposure?

picture.php?albumid=359&pictureid=3286

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cool story, great pics, in terms of: nostalgia, moments 'lost' in time......
    You should do an exhibition ! or would you need a model release ?

CabanSail wrote: »
    Not sure what has gone on here. Is it a double exposure?

picture.php?albumid=359&pictureid=3286
    That Must be where the Camera Jammed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MC2009

Hey Dec

Where did you get the film developed? I found an old photo film in my parents house and would love to get it developed to see whats on it but I have no idea where to bring it.

Cool story, great pics, in terms of: nostalgia, moments 'lost' in time......
    You should do an exhibition ! or would you need a model release ?

Yes but have to find the Models First. Then there is the Question of Copyright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

peanuthead wrote: »
    Aw man, I would have loved to be part of the 60's - so bloody cool, they look fantastic!! Thats the one thing - if I could travel back into the past, thats where I would go. Everyone was so glamorous, stylish and the girls were amazing!!

it was crap.
    we were all poor.

• Advertisement

MC2009 wrote: »
    Hey Dec

Where did you get the film developed? I found an old photo film in my parents house and would love to get it developed to see whats on it but I have no idea where to bring it.

I Developed it Myself back in the 80's. Those Days are Gone Now thanks to Digital

Evening Hearld are Interested. So I might get some answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Dec_ wrote: »
    I Developed it Myself back in the 80's. Those Days are Gone Now thanks to Digital
    and you waited 20 odd years to see if anyone knew the people?

steve06 wrote: »
    and you waited 20 odd years to see if anyone knew the people?

Well we did not have the Internet as we know it now. I made a few Prints and showed them around. I only found the Negs again recently as I was Scanning other Negs.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

There were a number of street photographers over the years but this guy's probably the best remembered. His name escapes me now. This photo was taken about '84 and he packed it in not long after.

I remember that oul fella. He definitely worked in O'Connell St - used to take the shot and hand the subject(s) a card - photo could be collected in a basement shop in Talbot Street - I collected once (me and the mot when we were about 15) in the early 70's - and yeah, we were dressed to the nines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've got a picture of my nanny and granddad in the 60's that was taken in the exact same place on O'Connel street that most of those pictures were taken at (Corner of Clery's isn't it?). Would be mad if was the same guy that took them.

I know it sounds silly but have you thought of offering them to any papers, even local papers, you never know one may be of interest and print one or two, you may find the owner.

They are going in the Evening Herald tomorrow I think with a Caption "Do You Recognize these People" or similar.

They are going in the Evening Herald tomorrow I think with a Caption "Do You Recognize these People" or similar.

Good stuff Dec, good on you.

Out of curiosity what type of cameras did you get the film out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The guy my mam knew that used to shoot photos was called Dessie Malone and he used to have a darkroom in Abbey Street back in the late 50's early 60's.

• Advertisement

Good stuff Dec, good on you.

Out of curiosity what type of cameras did you get the film out of?

Can't really Remember as there were a Few in the Box. I think it had a Little Bellows on the Front. I had to Break it open. The Herald Photographer asked Me the Same Question and if I still had it. It was binned years ago never thought it would cause this much excitement.

It was binned years ago never thought it would cause this much excitement.

That's what I thought about my old "jazz mag" collection when a new girlfriend moved in a couple of years ago.

I miss me jazz mags:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

That's what I thought about my old "jazz mag" collection when a new girlfriend moved in a couple of years ago.

I miss me jazz mags:mad:.

Yeah the jizz mags are usually the first to go.... wait ... err sorry forgot I wasnt on After hours , I'll get me coat:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Knee Grow Plz

Great photos. I know a few folk who will enjoy them.

Thanks OP

Found the Negs. Over 43 Years old and Fading Like Myself. Also Found another 2 Pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mts

I got an error message from dublin.ie stating that the abum no longer exists :( would love to see the pics, are they anywhere else?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

mts wrote: »
    I got an error message from dublin.ie stating that the abum no longer exists :( would love to see the pics, are they anywhere else?

Thanks.

The Negs are Fading so I Tried to Scan them Properly before they Disappear. I was Just uploading them again but had to delete the other one so here is the new link
    http://www.dublin.ie/forums/album.php?albumid=359

someone has been found. can't say much as Hearld running Big Story on Monday

Advertisement