Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizons

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I read the horizons thing, and someone explain it to me, and I'm still not exactly sure.

Am I right in saying that even though I am studying Law BCL I have to fill 2 credits (40-50 semester hours) with some other subject like say Psychology?

And if that is correct, am I correct in saying that I have to have the entry level CAO points for Psychology?

And if that is correct, am I correct in saying that I need to ensure the lectures and stuff don't clash?

And if all that is correct, where can I find out my timetable so I am able to pick my modules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm really confused about these Horizon things too....

I'm doing Medicine, does that mean I still have to pick up 2 random extra subjects?
    Craic with that?
    Is it obligatory?

What kind of subjects do I have to do?
    WTF?
    I'm so conflustered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know someone in medicine who was also doing Alexander the Great or classics, or something. Which I guess is a yes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

No, you don't have to pick two random subjects. You can keep within you degree programme if you wish.

Yes you have to ensure the lectures don't clash, but you have to do that will all subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ok so I read the horizons thing, and someone explain it to me, and I'm still not exactly sure.

Am I right in saying that even though I am studying Law BCL I have to fill 2 credits (40-50 semester hours) with some other subject like say Psychology?

No I'm 99% sure that you can fill those 2 credits with something like psychology IF YOU WANT. Or you can just pick another 2 law modules.
    And if that is correct, am I correct in saying that I have to have the entry level CAO points for Psychology?

Again I'm 99% sure that you wouldn't have to.
    And if that is correct, am I correct in saying that I need to ensure the lectures and stuff don't clash?

Yes. As far as I can remember, the only limits you have when taking an elective are availability (ie that the module isn't oversubscribed), timetabling and prerequisites (eg you couldn't, for example, take something like "Basic Psychology 2" if you hadn't already done "Basic Psychology 1")
    And if all that is correct, where can I find out my timetable so I am able to pick my modules?

Not sure how it works for incoming first years tbh....

Oh re timetable, when you are at the stage of picking electives there should be a link on the right hand side called "View Timetable" or the like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

So am i right in saying you can pick ANY module for horizons as long as there's room and it doesnt clash with your other modules? For example, an engineering student can take a business module and vice-versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'm liking this horizons thing. Kudos UCD

So am i right in saying you can pick ANY module for horizons as long as there's room and it doesnt clash with your other modules? For example, an engineering student can take a business module and vice-versa?

More or less. Of course, you have to adhear to any rules regarding required subjects, incompatible subjects etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Fair enough

If you chose psychology and if fits into your timetable yeh

Nope afraid not, Its an elective not a whole degree. All students will have access to all modules assuming they don't have a pre-requisite of some sort and no time table clashes

Yeh basically!

Should be directly after the payment place in registration. Blue button in top right corner.

Look, the way it will work is simple! ill break it down.

UCD module registration basics

Your "core" modules will be a set you HAVE to chose, for something like say arts or some courses where core modules have an option, you will say have 6 options and HAVE to chose min 4.(examples only, numbers may vary etc..)

Some first years like General Engineering students have a common first year but don't specialize until second year. So they would ideally chose all the core options to keep options open for second year.

What subjects you chose for your remaining credits is totally up to you.

They cant clash with your core modules. And you have to meet pre-requisites. (UCD system will ensure this, you c=will search modules by course or type eg science/physics and then courses will appear on bottom to chose from. Ones that clash will have a big red X beside them. You wont be allowed to pick these.)

Beyond that you cannot take courses that are designed for more then 2 stages below your own.(note, each year is called a stage in the UCD system. Second year is stage 2, first is stage 1)

What this means is, that if you have a three year degree you can always take first year subjects as your elective.

If you have a four year degree you will have to take second year electives in your final year. (UCD system will ensure this)

This can cause trouble as many second year electives will have a pre-requisite of a first year one.

Also, a lot of first year semester two modules are a lead on of semester one module. eg maths 2, would be a lead on from maths 1.

And maths 1 isn't necessarily a pre-requisite.
    So in maths 2 you might find yourself needing to know stuff your lecturer never thought you, meaning extra work on your part to go library or whatever and try learn it.

Research your subjects well. When chosing an elective, check the material it will cover, email a lecturer if necessary, check out how the course will be assessed etc...

If you aren't good at essays don't chose a course that has an essay mid semester worth 40% or whatever.

Elective Module Choice Logic

Some people take modules related to their course hoping to make their other courses easier or get and easy grade, Some do an old Leaving subject they are no longer doing to have an easy class...

Beware do, employers might ask to see your exams scripts.

If they see you good GPA is actually bad but buffered up by a joke subject... well lets just say they wont be impressed.

Myself i took classes i was interested in first and second year, and third and fourth i took ones related to my course.

Reason was, third and fourth counted for me. So employers will pay most attention to them. I'm doing engineering so i took extra science based courses. I found them easy and are relevant to my future career. Win win!

Think about it carefully!

Good luck!

Big thanks to all, particularly muboop1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Oooo, with horizons i think i'll do greek civilisation or something similar.. on top of my engineering :D

Alright so if I was doing this.

I wouldn't pick Phsychology I would pick modules within it right?

So maybe, Criminal Psychology and Human Sexuality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DO FIELD GEOLOGY!

4 lectures...... ONE 5 day TRIP TO ANTRIM

VIEW SMALL TESTS

PUB EVERY NITE

ONE SMALL TEST!

EASY PASS GRADE ......EASY A IF U LIKE GEORAPHY!:cool:

Oooo, with horizons i think i'll do greek civilisation or something similar.. on top of my engineering :D

done that, if a first year id advise against...
    what denomination are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I prefer to stay inside my degree, or do subjects relevent to it. I'm doing a chemistry and pharmacology joint major, and I have done medicine, chemical engineering and extra maths electives. I once did Spanish, and it was the most boring thing I have ever studied, so that put me off arts electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Greek and Roman Civilisation is a brilliant elective to take. There are several classes you can take. It is standard stuff, one essay one exam usually. I'd recommend all of the first year Greek and Roman Civ modules. Homer and His world and the Rise and Fall of Athens in particular. But with those 2 there are extremely enjoyable and some less enjoyable aspects. In the rise and fall of Athens is is 1 part Athenian history (enjoyable IMO) 1 part philosophy (less enjoyable IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

This Horizons thing is quality! Fair dues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

muboop1 wrote: »
    done that, if a first year id advise against...
    what denomination are you?

Inded i am a first year. I don't quite understand the question? :S

Inded i am a first year. I don't quite understand the question? :S

sorry, should of made myself clearer!
    What type engineering you doing or leaning towards?

Im going into 4th year,
    And there are some subjects we havent done that were mandatory before horizons came in... and they would of been mighty helpful to have... as in, some lecturers will expect us to have done them!

Having said that, if you done classical studies, rise and fall of athens is piss...

Basically an easier version of peloponnesian war and some plato(not the republic like the lc but one his other works)

Advertisement