Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sapphire 4870 Problem

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I was playing fallout 3 today(Which has been running perfectly since I got the card) and out of no-where the screen goes black and it says no input .
    I Reboot Pc everything is fine , back to fallout 3! same thing happens ,so I reboot and stop playing games for a while do some work , Then The same thing happens while I'm Browsing the internet , boot the pc and The boot Screen , Bios everything is all Artifacted with Vertical Lines and Mouse Ghosting ( when you move the cursor and the mouse trails like when its frozen). Let it cool down , have some tea come back boot it up , 2/3 times i try the fan spins 100% third time I get some Video Bios looks okay Boots into Windows , but it Freezes on the Windows Logo , But my speakers Still play the Windows Sound and I hear programs pop up and stuff
    But Now it wont boot at all , Fan keeps spinning at 100% But no Video Signal.
    I'm Running My old video card at the moment Just wondering , has anyone ever had a similar situation? How was it fixed? Been thinking about flashing it but I really dont want to , I'd much rather RMA it.

Edit::
    System specs are ,
    620W corsair Psu
    4 gigs of Ballistix Ram
    Asus P5q-e motherboard
    E2160 oc > 3.1ghz
    Using a Hd2900Xt at the moment which sucks more power so it isnt the psu.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

\IF your old card is workking fine then I say your new card is over heating. Definitely something not rifght with it. RMA it to fck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Artifacting before any drivers have loaded does not sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Tried it again Cold this morning to rule out Overheating , The Thing Still Freezes Just as Windows Plays the Entering Os Chime. But it now Shows the Bios And everything =[ Hope I can get a Rma on this now :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

papu wrote: »
    Tried it again Cold this morning to rule out Overheating , The Thing Still Freezes Just as Windows Plays the Entering Os Chime. But it now Shows the Bios And everything =[ Hope I can get a Rma on this now :/

Could be dodge memory on it or something. Deffo RMA it.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Could be dodge memory on it or something. Deffo RMA it.

Update i guess , After by Backup Started Artifacting and Bluescreening I got to thinking , the red LED on the 2900Xt was on , indicating that that 6pin wasnt getting enough power ( just thought my card was broken from being ancient and heavily overclocked)

Switched out that cable for a 4 pin molex to 6 pin Pcie Power and Plugged back in the 4870 and low and behold its been running strong for about a week now!
    yay
    \0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Update i guess , After by Backup Started Artifacting and Bluescreening I got to thinking , the red LED on the 2900Xt was on , indicating that that 6pin wasnt getting enough power ( just thought my card was broken from being ancient and heavily overclocked)

Switched out that cable for a 4 pin molex to 6 pin Pcie Power and Plugged back in the 4870 and low and behold its been running strong for about a week now!
    yay
    \0/

Corsair psu broke!!!!

omg

Effluo wrote: »
    Corsair psu broke!!!!

omg

I know thats what I'm thinking , Maybe the cable has come out a little at the modular part of the Psu i havent been able to check , or maybe the cable is messup up , Usually they go forever . Isnt it strange that only one power cable is messed up?

yay
    \0/

D'oh forgot about the LEDs at the back, could have saved you some time :o. Well at least it is working now, good times. :)

Advertisement