Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Sytems Development.

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Since its a relatively new course I have found it quite hard to get much information or opinions on this course.Im just wondering how this course compares to the likes of software development.I understand that they cover some different things but is it generally similar and is this course a good one?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

Stratter, they are somewhat similar in nature for the first two years but I suppose the most fundamental difference is one is level 7 (ISD) and the other is level 8 (SD) (stating the obvious for a moment!!!). Its primarily from year 3 and 4 of SD that it comes into its own and goes down a more technical programming route whereas the ISD course is geared towards more internet/commerical/business type applications. It currently doesnt have a fourth year but that is in progress and will be in situ by the time you get in year 2 no doubt! As or which one to choose: I couldnt say except make sure you really like programming (In Java).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stratter

Very helpful.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

If you have no experience in programming ISD will be fairly easy to break into, you just need to take an interest in the programming, do your work and you will have no problems. Lecturers are helpful and will help you out if you don't understand something.

Subjects in first year are: Maths, Java, Databases, Web Business & Modelling, Web-design and Interpersonal Communications - the last one being the biggest joke of a module I have every encountered. I have a feeling it was thrown in to make the weekly hours more acceptable.

Advertisement