Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Terry response AH Forum

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I posted a comment on the After Hours Forum in the following thread, Bray incident 'Not a knifecrime' because they came from good families, My comment was as follows, in response to a post by snyper calling for some decorum on the thread
    strange how it exists on this thread yet not on the is Mayo a no go area thread?
    I am noticing a strong east coast bias on boards lately.

Anyone who stabs and murders someone, and also injures others is a lowlife regardless of location, east or west...

I received the following reply from MOD Terry
    The thread has been re-opened, so you stay quiet too.

He later posted the following
    If you get stabby, then you lose the right to protection in AH.
    I don't care who you are, who you know, where you are from or what your family is like. If you stab someone, you are a scumbag. Circumstances be damned. You shouldn't have been carrying a knife in the first place.

I believed that this post was somewhat similar to mine and questioned this, I wish to add that MOD Rabies
    If you question a mod again here I will remove your access.

Do it in the helpdesk or an open forum like feedback

Also MOD Terry answered my question with this reply
    STFU

Can MOD Terry please explain why I my post was dismissed, another user also asked why I was not allowed the right to reply.

I would also like other mods to examine this thread & its posts and please clarify to me what I have done on this thread to warrant this reply.

Regards,

Mike...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think a moderator should say "STFU" - it's too aggressive, perhaps borderline abusive. And I admit I did it once myself when I started moderating After Hours - I shouldn't have.

But arguing with a moderator on-thread - don't do that, it's really irritating for the moderator (and against the charter - it's derailing a thread). Send them a private message.

And it wasn't the sentiment similar to Terry's that was being objected to in your first post, it was your comment about "east coast bias" which is an objection to moderating. Again, the thread isn't the place for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think a moderator should say "STFU" - it's too aggressive, perhaps borderline abusive. And I admit I did it once myself when I started moderating After Hours - I shouldn't have.

But arguing with a moderator on-thread - don't do that, it's really irritating for the moderator. Send them a private message.

Dudess,

Thanks for the quick reply,
    I didn't mean to question him was just a bit miffed when I saw he posted nearly the same thing as me and I was earlier rebuffed for my post, The STFU bit really annoyed me.

I read through all the threads and another member also questioned why I was threatened with a ban, In all honesty I never though of feedback or sending him/her a PM

Dudess wrote: »
    And it wasn't the sentiment similar to Terry's that was being objected to in your first post, it was your comment about "east coast bias" which is an objection to moderating. Again, the thread isn't the place for that.

I never though it was that, but that was also in reference to the amount of moderation posts and edits on the thread as compared to another AH thread about Mayo being a no go area dealing with a similar topic.

I still the STFU was a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Your initial post was questioning the modding of AH by bringing up another thread that is currently running and accusing the mods of bias. Disputing modding in thread is not allowed on boards. Sure "STFU" might seem harsh, but it is a step below a yellow card in the warning/discipline levels imo and basicaly telling you to drop it without resorting to official sanctions.

Given the sensitive nature of the thread in question and the firm approach to moderating needed in the circumstances I think the sentiments put forward by the AH mods was correct. Yes, it could have been worded more politely, but given the task the AH mods have of modding that particular thread a hard line is completely necessary in order to prevent muppetry abounding.

orestes wrote: »
    Your initial post was questioning the modding of AH by bringing up another thread that is currently running and accusing the mods of bias. Disputing modding in thread is not allowed on boards. Sure "STFU" might seem harsh, but it is a step below a yellow card in the warning/discipline levels imo and basicaly telling you to drop it without resorting to official sanctions.

Given the sensitive nature of the thread in question and the firm approach to moderating needed in the circumstances I think the sentiments put forward by the AH mods was correct. Yes, it could have been worded more politely, but given the task the AH mods have of modding that particular thread a hard line is completely necessary in order to prevent muppetry abounding.

Thanks for clearing it up a bit,
    I was not acting the muppet and I agree that on a sensitive thread like such it is essential for Mods to keep constant guard, I reported a few posts on the other thread, Mayo a no go area, for certain details being posted regarding a member of AGS and his handling of a previous case leading up to the westport incident.

I just wish I had been told more than keep quiet and received an explanation of why I was being told to keep quiet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved from Feedback to the correct forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The STFU bit was put there because you wouldn't. Simple as that.
    The rest has been explained clearly by others.

I posted 1 thread asking you why? so thats reason to tell me to STFU?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You were warned twice on the same thread to not question moderator decisions.
    You were politely asked to cease this questioning and to take it elsewhere.
    You decided to continue to question these decisions.

When people do that I either ban them or tell them to STFU.
    You got the latter.

You obviously have not read the AH charter and that renders this complaint null and void.

The charters are there to help users. If you choose to not read them, then there is not much we can do to help you.

Ok,
    It would have saved all the hassle if you told me why you were warning me.
    That's why I misunderstood what you warned me for and carried on this charade.

Mike...

• Advertisement
Advertisement