Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neatest way to strengthen chipboard press

Options
  • 19-08-2009 4:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I have a press that I store in the kitchen and I want to know what is the neatest way to strengthen chipboard press. I thought of getting 2" sq plane timber and cutting it diagonally and putting some screws into it through the chipboard to give the press some support . This sounds a bit labouring anyone else have any ideas not interested in the 90 degree brackets as they are a waist is there anything else on the market

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The idea is to make the press more rigid. You need to hold the two sides of the press together more rigidly.

I would get two or three 2x4 pieces or similar, cut them to the internal width of the press and screw them in at even spacings at the back of the press. Put the screws in through the sides. If you had a bit of plywood and cut it to fit the back of the press, and fixed it in, that would make it very strong indeed. But that's a good bit of work.

If there are loose shelves in it, screwing the shelves into place (putting screws in from the sides, again) can also make the whole thing a lot more rigid.

You should not need to put anything diagonally. If you try to do this, cutting of the wood will be more difficult.

You are right, the 90 degree brackets won't do you much good, because they will come under strain and will pull the screws securing them out of the chipboard.

Advertisement