Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Coca-Cola cargo restores port rail traffic

• 19-08-2009 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Irish Times, Wed, Aug 19, 2009

IARNRÓD ÉIREANN freight container trains are to resume deliveries to Dublin Port from this morning following a six-year absence.
    A twice-weekly service operated by Iarnród Éireann for International Warehousing and Transport Ltd (IWT) will run from Ballina, Co Mayo, to the port. Its main cargo will initially be containers of Coca-Cola concentrate from the Ballina production plant for export to Mexico, Australia, Japan, India and Turkey.
    Trains of 18 carriages each carrying 40ft containers holding 35 tonnes of product will arrive at the port every Monday and Wednesday evening, taking up to 4,000 lorries off the road yearly. IWT said it intends to expand to a daily service within six months, servicing the western region.
    The containers will operate on a round-trip basis, removing both laden and empty freight vehicles from the road network, IWT said: “This is a major development towards reducing carbon footprint and providing a statistically safer mode of transport. IWT believe that the service will save up to 5.5 million road kilometres every year and will reduce CO2 emissions by as much as 2,750 tonnes.”
    While initially it will use just the Ballina-Dublin line, the reliability of the service and its environmental benefits mean it will have great potential, IWT said.
    From tomorrow, trains will travel on the main line from Ballina to Heuston Station before switching to the tunnel under Phoenix Park. From there, they will run on the Maynooth line towards Connolly Station before branching off to Dublin Port.
    A spokesman for the Dublin Port Company said despite the decrease in the use of rail for freight deliveries, it has maintained the rail network within the port.
    About 500,000 tonnes of ore are already transported to the port from Tara Mines in Navan, Co Meath, but the new Ballina service will be the first commercial container freight service since the closure of the Cork to Dublin Port freight service six years ago.
    Iarnród Éireann said the new service opened the door for other shipping companies to consider using rail to serve Dublin Port. “We are delighted to see this new service take to the rails, and to return to Dublin Port with container freight,” Stephen Aherne of Iarnród Éireann said.
    While the McCarthy report recommended cuts to some regional rail freight lines, this would not affect the new service, as it operates on the Dublin-Ballina passenger line.
    © 2009 The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0819/1224252867938.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Is this the real thing or are Iarnrod Eireann mainlining on coke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IIMII wrote: »
    While the McCarthy report recommended cuts to some regional rail freight lines, this would not affect the new service, as it operates on the Dublin-Ballina passenger line.[/URL]

that's plain incorrect afaik - McCarthy recommended closing the Ballina line (and there are no operating "regional rail freight lines" except for the one to Tara Mines, which he didn't mention at all in the snip report).

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Just goes to prove that people should have more faith in my comments on Irish railways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Excellent news if it happens.

If IE can make easy money off it there's no reason not to from their point of view. And with a guarenteed customer for the forseeable future why not?

071 pulling it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/new-dublinmayo-rail-cargo-service-begins-today-1863923.html

One might have expected an oul Minister or two to make a wee bit of PR capital here...?
    Surely this event represents the type of sustainable Transport Policy which is Government Policy.....or is it..??

Poor Noel Dempsey is probably sat in front of the Departmental Abacus attempting to quantify the Loss,going forward, to some oul PPP Toll Franchisee.

If this sort of mad foreign stuff gets a hold the Toll Facility PPP may well face a bit of tough renegotation as the PPP`s quantify the "Risk" of getting involved in any form of Financial dealings with a native rish Administration.... :P

Either way,this is excellent news and deserves to succeed....which probably ensures it`s total failure given our native attitude towards prudent notions.... :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

This is a good thing. I am glad to see container freight trains returning to Dublin Port again.

Hope it works out.

While the McCarthy report recommended cuts to some regional rail freight lines, this would not affect the new service, as it operates on the Dublin-Ballina passenger line.

Do you just love the high standards of journalism we have in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They will now regret destroying some of their best freight hauling locos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

You can imagine the conversation in the offices . . . "Ah jayz lads, you did what with our bleedin' locos ? What are the chances of tagging some of those yokes on the back of one of the shiney new railcars ?"

z

p.s. there's a wartime phrase for this which I can't remember . . . destroying your own equipment and infrastructure during the retreat. The only difference here is that the retreat was self-imposed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

That's the most shocking news I've read in a while! Great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

IIMII wrote: »
    Irish Times, Wed, Aug 19, 2009

From tomorrow, trains will travel on the main line from Ballina to Heuston Station before switching to the tunnel under Phoenix Park. From there, they will run on the Maynooth line towards Connolly Station before branching off to Dublin Port.
    I'm surprised they didn't wait until they had the quad tracking project to Heuston completed. I was always under the impression that it was the quad tracking project that was needed before they could increase the frequency of intercity trains.
    Do they really mean the Maynooth line as opposed to the clonsilla - spencer dock line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They will now regret destroying some of their best freight hauling locos.

Destoryed what best locos, the 071s are the best freight hauling locos and all 18 of them are still on the go, better than the 201s and just as powerful despite having less hp.

Destroyed what best locos, the 071s are the best freight hauling locos and all 18 of them are still on the go, better than the 201s and just as powerful despite having less hp.
    I agree they are a far better loco. I could eventually see them being tied up on passenger work when all the 201's are taken out of service, ten of them are already sitting up idle in yards. The smaller 141/181's & 121's would also have been perfect for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If the Athlone West-Moate-Mullingar line was re-opened it could avoid the Cork-Dublin corridor completely. It would be an expensive undertaking just for that though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

I'm surprised they didn't wait until they had the quad tracking project to Heuston completed. I was always under the impression that it was the quad tracking project that was needed before they could increase the frequency of intercity trains.
    Do they really mean the Maynooth line as opposed to the clonsilla - spencer dock line?
    It means from Heuston, via Phoenix Park Tunnel to Glasnevin Junction on the Maynooth Line, on through Drumcondra Station though to North Strand Junction, and from there diverging into the North Wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

loyatemu wrote: »
    that's plain incorrect afaik - McCarthy recommended closing the Ballina line (and there are no operating "regional rail freight lines" except for the one to Tara Mines, which he didn't mention at all in the snip report).

McCarthy said close the passenger service - running a mini coach from Ballina station to Manulla junction/claremorris would be more viable than using the shuttle trains they have on the line. The line could be kept open for freight, if it is profitable - but a connecting bus service would be perfectly ok for rail passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Why?

We are talking about one freight train in either direction. There are certain times during the day when there are only 2 trains an hour leaving Heuston where the train can be slotted in. It could run in the paths that the Tullamore cement (recently ceased) service operated.

The quad tracking project is needed to deliver a higher frequency and speed at peak times of the day primarily. A side benefit is also the ability to deliver a DART standard of operation.

The train will operate via the Phoenix Park tunnel and the upper line through Drumcondra to branch off down to the docks. There is no connection to the Docklands line from the Phoenix Park tunnel line at Glasnevin Junction.

westtip wrote: »
    McCarthy said close the passenger service - running a mini coach from Ballina station to Manulla junction/claremorris would be more viable than using the shuttle trains they have on the line. The line could be kept open for freight, if it is profitable - but a connecting bus service would be perfectly ok for rail passengers.

I'm not sure that it would be that much cheaper?

We're talking about a one-man operated 2 piece railcar, hardly the same expense as a full intercity train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

"Iarnrod Eireann get new rail freight business shock!" - especially since one got the impression that their policy was to run away from it as fast as they could.

Maybe someone in IE is copping on to this whole "carbon footprint" crack. And liquids need some amount of fuel to transport via road. This is great for Coca-Cola's image.

You'd have to wonder though, whether they approached IE or vice versa, and what sort of pleading they had to do to get this approved.

Or was it simply a way for IE to keep the Ballina line open? (A fiendishly clever ploy, if so - which means, I doubt it ;) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This is a good thing. I am glad to see container freight trains returning to Dublin Port again.

Hope it works out.
    A mate of mine works at CocaCola and they send and get nearly all their freight by road. The rail stuff is some deal they get and the traffic is tiny to the point were it just token stuff. I have to ask him about this freight expansion as from what he tells me business in down.

I am actually intrigued about how much of that freight to Ballina is not empty contrainers being run back and forth constantly. Not impling anything. But I have seen the same container serial numbers in the Yard at ballina on the same wagons serial numbers on consecutive arriving trains.

I am sure there is an innocent enough explaination for this if someone can enlightened to what kind of freight can be loaded into a container which never leaves the same wagon base for weeks on end?

Given that Norfolk Line/DFDS is a private, profit making company it would hardly be in their interests to pay CIE/IE to run empty containers between Ballina and Waterford! Why don't you check with Norfolk Line/DFDS and let us know the outcome?

Well Nostradamus - more empty containers??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the 071s are [...] better than the 201s and just as powerful despite having less hp.

Now, I'm assuming you mean horsepower by hp. Horsepower is a measure of power. Something with less horsepower is less powerful, by definition.

Maybe you meant almost as powerful; or that the locos don't need to use all their power so their maximum power level is not important or something.

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    If the Athlone West-Moate-Mullingar line was re-opened it could avoid the Cork-Dublin corridor completely. It would be an expensive undertaking just for that though!

I walked the whole route early in the summer. The route is in good condition. If for fright only it could be relaid on the cheap. All it would take is a it of moxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I walked the whole route early in the summer. The route is in good condition. If for freight only it could be relaid on the cheap.

Would it not be a better option to double the track as far as Athlone? That would help freight, and allow much tighter timetabling for intercity speeds

Well Nostradamus - more empty containers??? :D

Nice try, but he (and I) was talking about the rail freight traffic out of Waterford.

You are more then welcome to visit me up here and I'll show you the containers which just seem to go back and forth on the same bogie wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

on a seperate note sorry to hijack the thread but how big is the tunnel under the phoenix park?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That seem to be all your own words, with little relation to what the report said. Most notable, the report called for the line to be closed, not just services to be passagner services to be transferred to buses.

Relating to the Ballina branch line, in volume two, the report said:
    As part of this undertaking, the Department of Transport and CIÉ should jointly review the application of PSO payments to low patronage transport routes and explore how such payments can be best targeted/applied to provide the most economical service levels that meet customer needs and demand patterns. For example, lightly used rail lines should be closed and replacement bus services provided. It is more than likely that more regular and reliable bus services could be provided on such corridors at less cost to the Exchequer. Among the most lightly used rail lines that should be examined in this light include:

- Limerick Junction to Rosslare
    - Limerick to Ballybrophy;
    - Manulla Junction to Ballina.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Would it not be a better option to double the track as far as Athlone? That would help freight, and allow much tighter timetabling for intercity speeds

I agree in principle that more doubling on the Galway line would help, although I seem to recall that the geology in the Offaly part of the line would make it difficult to blast through to widen it. Can't remember where I read it (and no, it's not the rocks between the Taoiseach's ears I'm talking about).

Bazzy wrote: »
    on a seperate note sorry to hijack the thread but how big is the tunnel under the phoenix park?

757 yards long

Double track throughout

Particularly if Manulla station was cleared to pick up/drop off passengers, which at the moment it isn't, and therefore people are shuttled all the way from Claremorris to Ballina/Westport during line closures. However, IE beancounters would then jack up the track charges on the freight business (just like how for Foynes the Port Company was told they had to pay all costs of reinstatement, even though the line was supposedly being maintained, and there would have been the chance of a P&R rail shuttle once the line was reopened).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cool Mo D wrote: »

There are a few spots on the lines were doubling would be a problem, since the line was blasted/carved into solid rock.

Reopening the Athlone-Mullingear section might be a better option, gives two tracks between Athlone and Galway, but covers more of the midlands than just twin tracking the existing line.

In fact, Athlone-Mullingear used to be twin track, why not use it instead.

• Advertisement

Nice try, but he (and I) was talking about the rail freight traffic out of Waterford.

You are more then welcome to visit me up here and I'll show you the containers which just seem to go back and forth on the same bogie wagon.

Do I hear the sound of goal posts being moved? :D

In fact, Athlone-Mullingear used to be twin track, why not use it instead.

Trains could also be laid up on it during the day as well so there would be no conflicts with exsisting passenger movments during peak hours. Hey if WOT's predictions of massive freight traffic between Lim and Sligo it could also be used for that too.

Seems to me that Athlone-Mullingar would make a useful asset and not a very expensive one compared to other options being put out there.

It is also in surpriingly good nick. The stations are in bits and the level crossing need to be restored, but the vast majority of track I saw is more than capable of moving freight trains at slow speed safely.

Do I hear the sound of goal posts being moved? :D

No you're attempted snide comment just wasn't relevant.

You have no sense of humour and can't win an argument. No wonder you love the WRC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

There was a comment by the Dublin Port Authority guy that they had maintained their rail network in the port despite the lack of traffic, to ensure they were rail-capable, which if true is rather uncustomarily forward-looking for railway-related matters in Ireland.

A pity the Foynes line isn't being used - the awful N69 could certainly do with less trucks on it. Indeed if they ever intend to fix up the road network they should perhaps consider leaving the N69 well alone and build a new road link to the N21/M20 (just as the railway line comes alongside the road near Adare).

Zoney wrote: »
    There was a comment by the Dublin Port Authority guy that they had maintained their rail network in the port despite the lack of traffic, to ensure they were rail-capable, which if true is rather uncustomarily forward-looking for railway-related matters in Ireland.

Even more so considering that CIE gave the DPA some serious bull**** over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm really surprised to see this, I remember hearing about it years ago and thinking nothing would come of it / it wouldn't work.

I hope I'm proved wrong and it is a success. It would be great if more freight were moved by rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this extra traffic or does it just replace the Ballina-Waterford traffic.
    Zoney wrote: »
    Note that the port owns all the railways east of East Wall Road.

As far as I understand it this is a completely new freight flow and has no affect on the existing Waterford/Ballina operation.

monument wrote: »
    That seem to be all your own words, with little relation to what the report said. Most notable, the report called for the line to be closed, not just services to be passagner services to be transferred to buses.

Relating to the Ballina branch line, in volume two, the report said:
    As part of this undertaking, the Department of Transport and CIÉ should jointly review the application of PSO payments to low patronage transport routes and explore how such payments can be best targeted/applied to provide the most economical service levels that meet customer needs and demand patterns. For example, lightly used rail lines should be closed and replacement bus services provided. It is more than likely that more regular and reliable bus services could be provided on such corridors at less cost to the Exchequer. Among the most lightly used rail lines that should be examined in this light include:

- Limerick Junction to Rosslare
    - Limerick to Ballybrophy;
    - Manulla Junction to Ballina.

fair point I read the report about a month ago and this was my recollection - that passenger services should be closed and replaced with bus services. As I live near Ballina it would be a pain if it was closed; mind you i tend to use the sligo line if getting the train to Dublin; If this coca-cola deal provides a reprieve for the line then that's good, the line itself is probably unsustainable without the freight income.

dowlingm wrote: »

This is a mute point for those living in Athlone - the problem is the relocation of the Athlone station which is east of the mullingar junction on the galway line - the junction to Mullingar is just after the shannon bridge (when travelling east); the original Athlone station on the Roscommon side was built in its current location for military reasons - it is right next to the barracks which are on the roscommon side of the river; relocating the station to the westmeath side and making it nearer the town centre which is focussed in westmeath meant through trains from Galway or indeed Roscommon (ie from the Westport line), would cross the shannon bridge and pass the Mullingar junction and then enter Athlone station - if trains want to use the mullingar line they woudl have to reverse out of the new station back to the junction - have the points changed and then proceed to Mullingar and Connolly. Closing this line was a dam silly decision - the line is still in reasonable condition and could probably sustain a long distance commuter service into connolly. Moving Athlone railway station was done before the Athlone bypass was built (I think), had it been left open it would have meant a commuter service running from say Roscommon, Athlone. Moate, Mullingar, Connolly could have been in operation - and it could have meant Galway trains could have been sent to Connolly as well. In fact a through train from Galway to Wexford would have been possible. The use of this line from Athlone to Mullingar and into Dublin port for freight is fairly obvious.

how far is coke from the rail line in Mayo?
    How do they transport their stuff to the rail line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Now, I'm assuming you mean horsepower by hp. Horsepower is a measure of power. Something with less horsepower is less powerful, by definition.

Maybe you meant almost as powerful; or that the locos don't need to use all their power so their maximum power level is not important or something.

The 071s have 2.200hp and the 201s have 3,200hp, yet the tractive effort of the 071s is very close to 201s at low speeds around 25mph which is the speed at which the heaviest loads the class'es can move continuously, and for moving pure dead weight from a stand still the 071s have more grunt than a 201 as the 071 can apply power to the rail better than a 201 can.

What are the SI units of "Grunt" and "Tractive Effort?"
    What are the values of either for the two locos you talk about.

Are the horsepower numbers quoted nominal or drawbar horsepower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

There were a group medical companies based in Mayo including Allergan, Baxter and Hoillister who met Brian Cowen earlier this year to campaign for the N5 upgrades to go ahead. Their argument was that they support over 3000 direct jobs in the county with exports of €3bn, and that poor road infrastructure, particularly through Roscommon, meant significant extra costs in their haulage and extra packaging costs to protect products, threatening long-term viability.

With rail lines serving most of these factory locations surely there is more potential for rail freight on the line? I presume if Coca Cola alone see the service as a cost effective alternative then more will follow with a cost saving benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

About 3km, and I guess by truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Neworder79 wrote: »
    I presume if Coca Cola alone see the service as a cost effective alternative then more will follow with a cost saving benefit.

Its not Coca-Cola, its the transport companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What are the SI units of "Grunt" and "Tractive Effort?"
    What are the values of either for the two locos you talk about.

Are the horsepower numbers quoted nominal or drawbar horsepower?

Torque.

Neworder79 wrote: »
    There were a group medical companies based in Mayo including Allergan, Baxter and Hoillister who met Brian Cowen earlier this year to campaign for the N5 upgrades to go ahead. Their argument was that they support over 3000 direct jobs in the county with exports of €3bn, and that poor road infrastructure, particularly through Roscommon, meant significant extra costs in their haulage and extra packaging costs to protect products, threatening long-term viability.

With rail lines serving most of these factory locations surely there is more potential for rail freight on the line? I presume if Coca Cola alone see the service as a cost effective alternative then more will follow with a cost saving benefit.

Baxters already use the Ballina-Waterford liner along with Coca Cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GIJOE31

Big Congrats to IWT for making this a reality,

I know they have being banging on many doors for the past few years trying to get this off the ground only to be shot down by Irish Rail on a number of occasions.
    Believe me if it wasnt for IWT this service would not be in place today.
    Just to clarify - my understanding is that it is seperate traffic to the Waterford business and is currently on the road between Ballina and Dublin.

The Coca_ Cola truck is much nicer than the Coca_Cola train. :o

downloads.html&req=display&code=ss&id=1174

The containers have to be taken off the trains put on truck and driven through the streets of Ballina.

Mind you, that's nothing compared to when Asahi was up and running and tanks filled with incredibly dangerous chemicals were being lifted off trains and driven through the town streets. There used to be a wind sock in the rail yard (pole still there) as it was only safe to move the tankers to Asahi when the wind was blowing a certain direction. I kid you not.

Now get this. There was a line almost completely intact running from Ballina yard to Asahi (Killaha Branch) which would have meant the tankers moved directly into the factory - but the town councillors, TD's, parish priests and the usual gombeens PREVENTED THIS FROM HAPPENING AS THEY WANTED THE TRUCK DRIVERS IN BALLINA TO HAVE JOBS MOVING THE TANKS.

But potentially killing the entire population of Ballina was alright to them in the interests of "Savin Dah West!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement