Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matruculation requirements?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

hi guys,
    i hope to go to ucd next year as i did not get in and will be repeating th LC as an external candidate. irish and science are both needed to get in and i passed them both this year but do not want to do them this year. if i drop them and get the points in 2010 will i get in as i passed them in previous years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Yes,if you have the grade to get in you don't need to repeat the subject.But you'll have to gain all your points again next year,They don't carry over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Gary4279 wrote: »
    hi guys,
    i hope to go to ucd next year as i did not get in and will be repeating th LC as an external candidate. irish and science are both needed to get in and i passed them both this year but do not want to do them this year. if i drop them and get the points in 2010 will i get in as i passed them in previous years?

Depends on the course, if you've failed Irish I think you'll have to do it again, but of course you can do it at pass level. However if it's points you're after you'll have to get them all over again, so pick subjects conducive to this. If you've passed maths, english etc... you're okay. Matriculation really means whether you can go to the university in question, so you'll have to meet the requirements of the NUI and UCD.

The NUI requirements state:
    For holders of the Leaving Certificate, six subjects are required, with a minimum Grade C3 at Higher Level in two subjects, and at least Grade D3 in four other subjects.An applicant may combine the results of Leaving Certificate examinations obtained in different years for Matriculation Registration purposes. (This concession applies to Matriculation Registration only; it does not necessarily apply to the admission requirements of the Constituent Universities or Recognised Colleges). It should be noted that from 2009 students seeking to enter Medicine must satisfy the minimum entry requirements in the same sitting. Students are advised to contact the Admissions Office of the Constituent University they wish to apply to for further details.

Regards UCD:
    UCD is a university of the National University of Ireland. All students will be required to meet
    matriculation requirements by:
    (i) passing, at prescribed levels and in the required subjects, an appropriate school Leaving Certificate examination. (For Irish Leaving Certificate students see section 5c and our summary Entry Requirements sheet, available from the Office of the Registrar (Admissions)) or the GCE/GCSE (seesection 5d); or
    (ii) obtaining appropriate results in certain FETAC (NCVA) Level 5 or HETAC awards (refer to UCD Transfer Booklet, available from UCD Admissions); or
    (iii) being recommended to NUI by University College Dublin.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

cheers guys, good advice.

hopefully it will all go to plan this time round.

Advertisement