Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists

• 19-08-2009 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

I am sure this has been covered before but do you agree that cyclists are bloody dangerous?

They drive me insane. Why can't they use the footpath and if they happen to see pedestrians, then slow down and move over. I understand in some places, like busy city centres, it isn't always possible but I am so sick of them getting in my way and not riding in a straight line, they make me nervous and angry all at once!

Who agrees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bubblewrap wrote: »
    I am sure this has been covered before but do you agree that cyclists are bloody dangerous?

They drive me insane. Why can't they use the footpath and if they happen to see pedestrians, then slow down and move over. I understand in some places, like busy city centres, it isn't always possible but I am so sick of them getting in my way and not riding in a straight line, they make me nervous and angry all at once!

Who agrees?

So much wrong with that...They are traffic just like you are - you only pass when safe to do so. As for the footpath bit...ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Should be in Ranting and Raving but you are sure gonna take some flak.

Read the cycling forum on this site and cyclists believe they are god's gift to mankind and everyone should clear the road for them...

By the way I am a cyclist but I cycle as I drive - at a speed which allows me to stop for hazards, stop at traffic lights and if someone parks in my lane (OMG!) I merely drive round them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Try being a pedestrian when one comes whizzing by on the footpath. Some idiot cyclist going at 15kph can easily break a pedestrian's legs if they hit them. They should stay on the road and learn the rules of the road (notably that traffic lights apply to them as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Who agrees?

I double dare you to post that in the cycling forum! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

Ooops - didn't realise it would be badly received, I honestly thought it was a normal bugbear of the road!

They do get in the way though :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sounds like you're the dangerous one. And I'm coming from the perspective of being a motorist, runner and cyclist. People like yourself are a danger to cyclists and motorists like you don't realise/feel that cyclists in particular are fully entitled to use the roads. And to complete EPMs thoughts, they aren't allowed use footpaths.

Maybe if you were a better or more confident driver you wouldn't see them as a hazard to yourself. Maybe a couple of more lessons may help you and possibly some form of drivers awareness course, voluntarily of course before you're forced by the courts to attend one after loosing your licence when you knock one down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I double dare you to post that in the cycling forum! :eek:

Taken care of - I took the liberty of posting a link to this thread there.

Anyone care to guess the number of people killed by cars / motorists each year compared to those killed by bikes / cyclists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Who agrees?

Cyclists can't legally use the footpath, unless it has a cycle lane on it.

Sure, some cyclists do stupid and inconsiderate things, but so do some motorists. Dealing with these issues is what driving's all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

They are slower than you. That is all you are getting pissed off at. Standard human impatience.
    I drive and cycle, I guarantee that the cyclists are far more pissed off with you than you are of them.

Roads are for Cars, Buses, Tractors, Trucks, Cycles etc. All are allowed to take one lane (sometimes 1.5 in the case of extra wide load vehicles).
    Cyclists dont actually have to move over for you, just count yourself lucky that most do.

Red light breakers are retards though. That I accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

They do get in the way though :P
    And as a biker I find that all the cars on the roads get in my way....

Care to take the bus for me in future? Fair's fair and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jawgap wrote: »
    Anyone care to guess the number of people killed by cars / motorists each year compared to those killed by bikes / cyclists?

What a pointless comparison. More people are killed by eating cheeseburgers each year than by radiation exposure. But does that make a cheeseburger more dangerous than an ounce of plutonium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Who agrees?
    This thread is too stupid to live. I suggest you get some driving lessons, and until then give all other road users a wide berth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement