Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a bloke drive an Eos?

• 19-08-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Without being mistaken for a hairdresser... The model in question is the 2.0 TDI Sport DSG.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This kind of question comes up with monotonous regularity. Are you insecure and dependent on the approval of others? If so, probably not. Are you confident enough to pick and drive your own car? If so, drive what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Anan1 wrote: »
    This kind of question comes up with monotonous regularity. Are you insecure and dependent on the approval of others? If so, probably not. Are you confident enough to pick and drive your own car? If so, drive what you like.

Well said:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

justdoit wrote: »
    Without being mistaken for a hairdresser... The model in question is the 2.0 TDI Sport DSG.

NO

I delievered one to a customer last year (drove most of the way with the roof down) and I'm pretty sure I minced my way along the car park after getting out of it :D

Not a bad motor though - this was the 1.4T 122bhp. The roof is very cool and it looks great with the roof down, not so sure of the lines with the roof up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

If you are comfortable with your sexuality, you can drive anything ;)

My bf used to be a car salesman and had to drive a Tigra, now THAT is girly.

Get a manly black one and you should be fine, sod what people think, if you like it then get it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

.....and mores to the point would you want to!!! IMO all of thoses CC type cars are horrid to look at, the 308 being the worst of them followed by the Focus and the Eos. Unless you have 2 small tiny kids buy a proper cabriolet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eos

7406_1588.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just drive it wearing shorts, with your balls hanging out ...so that there will be no stupid questions, you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

quite aside from your original question, there is something inherently wrong about a diesel convertible.

also these CC things really arent for me, you want a good vert and arent worried about looking gay, get an mx5 or a second hand boxster, need a vert with 4 seats get an audi or 3 series rag top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you want to drive one, forget the stereotypes and turn up the stereo, but get some decent tunes. Incidently speaking of stereotypes, all of the three male hairdressers (not barbers) I've known well on a social basis, have been straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Cyrus wrote: »
    you want a good vert and arent worried about looking gay, get an mx5 or a second hand boxster,

I still get the "hairdressers car" or "poor mans porsche" about the boxster but it has never bothered me in the slightest.
    Have got far more compliments and head turns in traffic than put downs.
    If you really like the styling of the EOS then go for it?
    Feck the begrudgers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Sold the wife's Eos about a year ago ..... some way to meet to hot ladies !!! and get their numbers.

Thinking about buying another one just to get enquiries from ladies who are at the age when they know exactly what they want and know how to go for it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Hope your wife doesn't view boards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

no-image-large.gif

Not quite so good looking like this though!

OP, as long it isnt a base model in a bright colour i cant see why any man wouldnt drive an eos. Cant say the same about some of the other CC's though, IMO

I prefer the hardtop, and in Ireland there's not much point in wasting your money on a convertible, imo.

Magnus wrote: »
    I prefer the hardtop, and in Ireland there's not much point in wasting your money on a convertible, imo.

the hardtop?

The Eos is a coupe-convertible, its both. There is no separate hardtop and convertible version, theyre both the same car. Look at the sequence of pics in this ad

Its the same with all cars in this class, focus, megane, astra, 308...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Silly question-of course not! Fellas in so called Macho cars are the ones who look silly and wasteful sure!

Zonda999 wrote: »
    the hardtop?

The Eos is a coupe-convertible, its both. There is no separate hardtop and convertible version, theyre both the same car. Look at the sequence of pics in this ad

Its the same with all cars in this class, focus, megane, astra, 308...

Sound thanks for pointing that out. In that case, yes, I'd def drive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

Homer wrote: »
    I still get the "hairdressers car" or "poor mans porsche" about the boxster ...QUOTE]

When our office airhead got a new car I told them I'd bet good drinking money that it's a Peter Mark Porsche.

"No", they replied, "it's not a Porsche, it's a 207 CC".

Ka-Ching. Ah the joys, that was 6 month's ago and the penny still hasn't dropped yet.

have fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

oneway wrote: »
    When our office airhead got a new car I told them I'd bet good drinking money that it's a Peter Mark Porsche.

"No", they replied, "it's not a Porsche, it's a 207 CC".

Ka-Ching. Ah the joys, that was 6 month's ago and the penny still hasn't dropped yet.

have fun...
    What penny? They're driving a car that they like, and most likely couldn't care less what you (or I) think of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

This is a stupid topic for quite a fundamental reason ;)

You're only going to be labeled a poser if you act like one. If you don't then 99% of the time you'll get away with driving pretty much anything - in fact if you enjoy the car for what it is and don't act the ass or otherwise feel like you need to compensate for having a vert then you're likely to get cred rather than scorn!

Sure, there's that 1% I alluded to above but they're likely to all be morons, tossers or posers themselves. Insults coming from them count as compliments :P

IMHO the Eos is gorgeous and if I had the money I'd happily drive one. Just don't allow yourself to be forced to feel defensive about a car you like! So long as it doesn't have a giant Hello Kitty sign on it and you have the right attitude (car-centric rather than worrying-about-the-misguided-opinions-of-others) you can drive almost anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Today I saw three men in a pink mini (old one).

They were all big lads, and seemed happy enough with the transport they had.

Because they were happy enough, and not acting the bollix, it did not even look strange. :eek::confused:

But, there you go - drive the car that makes you happy, or the car that you can afford. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive always liked them for some reason, above the Focus and Astra versions anyhow. Afaik, the same company makes the folding metal roofs for all of them.
    They are meant to be finished internally quite well and the chassis is semi-purpose built (unlike the Astra, Focus). They are a known to have leaks from poor sealing on the roof seals if not lubricated/treated.

While the pink flowers dont promote the "man" argument, this is still a good shot:
    VW_EOS_White_Night.jpg

With the roaring (flaming? :D) 3.2L V6 with AWD, think it would be pretty cool. Teeny petrol or any diesel engine, not so interested. A much more interesting choice than a Golf and rare on our roads too.

Matt Simis wrote: »

With the roaring (flaming? :D) 3.2L V6 with AWD, think it would be pretty cool. Teeny petrol or any diesel engine, not so interested. A much more interesting choice than a Golf and rare on our roads too.

In the Eos, even the V6 version is front wheel drive, unfortunately

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Eos
    All vehicles are front-wheel drive only.

Hadn't actually realised that it is now a 3.6 V6 260bhp, in it, rather than the old 3.2v6 250bhp

I was thinking about boot space but it seems good:
    The 207 CC comes with a 187 litre capacity boot in convertible mode which grows to 449 litres in coupe mode. As a result of the optimised architecture, all the space can be utilised, making the 207 CC's boot one of the most spacious in its class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Zonda999 wrote: »
    In the Eos, even the V6 version is front wheel drive, unfortunately

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Eos

Hadn't actually realised that it is now a 3.6 V6 260bhp, in it, rather than the old 3.2v6 250bhp

No AWD.. kinda cheap of VW when paired with that engine. Guess DSG option will have to do.
    Though 3.6 (also didnt realise they upgraded it) in such a small car all going to 2wheels, kinda funky.

Apparently the 3.6 is more sporty and torquey than the 3.2 it replaced, I gather from reading US Touareg reviews. Also slightly better MPG IRC.

Advertisement