Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet not flushing right

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if I dont get the plumbing terminology right.

I've a problem with a toilet, its not flushing right.
    I tried changing the position of the handle inside the cistern but that didnt work.
    Its like its only half flushing, not letting the water down.
    Though there is water coming constantly down from the cistern,
    not a lot but it means the ballcock doesnt stop the flow.
    Also noticed that when the toilet is flushed the unit inside the cistern
    moves a lot.
    Know its not a lot to go by, but any help for things to look at would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I had a similar problem a few years ago - I took the workings apart inside and it turns out a wasp was stuck in the pipe meaning the cistern took ages to fill up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

HighWire wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if I dont get the plumbing terminology right.

I've a problem with a toilet, its not flushing right.
    I tried changing the position of the handle inside the cistern but that didnt work.
    Its like its only half flushing, not letting the water down.
    Though there is water coming constantly down from the cistern,
    not a lot but it means the ballcock doesnt stop the flow.
    Also noticed that when the toilet is flushed the unit inside the cistern
    moves a lot.
    Know its not a lot to go by, but any help for things to look at would be great.
    Thanks

The cistern flushes by a diaphragm that is attached to the flush handle mechanism lifting a quantity of water up and over the flush pipe bend, so setting up a siphon effect that drains the cistern down into thetoilet bowl. If the flushing gear moves about, then it's securing is loose and it won't set up a siphon properly. All that will happen is whatever the diaphragm lifts will flow into the toilet but no more than that. So, you need to secure it properly.

Then, if the ballcock is not stopping the supply of water it needs to be fixed or replaced. Nowadays there are new types of ballcock that are much more effective than the old ball on an arm type - in fact those old types are becoming difficult to find. You need to go to a plumbers supplier and tell him if the water pipe to the cistern in in the bottom or the side. He will then be able to supply you with a new unit that is simple enough to fit for about €15. Easier than trying to reseal one of the old types TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ART6 wrote: »
    The cistern flushes by a diaphragm that is attached to the flush handle mechanism lifting a quantity of water up and over the flush pipe bend, so setting up a siphon effect that drains the cistern down into thetoilet bowl. If the flushing gear moves about, then it's securing is loose and it won't set up a siphon properly. All that will happen is whatever the diaphragm lifts will flow into the toilet but no more than that. So, you need to secure it properly.

Then, if the ballcock is not stopping the supply of water it needs to be fixed or replaced. Nowadays there are new types of ballcock that are much more effective than the old ball on an arm type - in fact those old types are becoming difficult to find. You need to go to a plumbers supplier and tell him if the water pipe to the cistern in in the bottom or the side. He will then be able to supply you with a new unit that is simple enough to fit for about €15. Easier than trying to reseal one of the old types TBH.

+1 Although sometimes it can just be the syphone is stuck in the up position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Washer is possibly damaged within the syphon.

This is not a DIY job

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

pipers wrote: »
    Washenr is possibly damaged within the syphon.

This is not a DIY job

agree its not a DIY job if you only have one toilet in the house but if you have time patience and are will to buy a full set of new fittings why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

OK so again not sure if its the right terms but I think I fixed it.

The piece the handle is attached to, looked online and I think its called
    an inverted u-pipe siphon.
    The tube thats attached to the flush pipe is attached to the siphon
    and the plastic ring nut was really loose. Just tightened it and
    everything works grand.

Thanks for advice everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've a similar problem in that when the handle is pulled to flush the loo, the water flows very slowly down into the bowl and while it will flush away pee, the other type of waste (I would say sh1te and loo paper but don't want to offend :D) won't flush away as there is only a trickle of water emptying into the bowl. While the cistern does empty completely, how do I increase the flow of water into the bowl to ensure that the waste is flushed away. Its a shires model if thats of any help.

BTW, its not the only loo in the house so we aren't actually stuck with it but I'd like to get it working right anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Relplace syphon, if it's a close couple suite replace the large seal that fits between the cistern and pan as well.

Advertisement