Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about MATH modules

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

:confused:I'm starting physics with astronomy and space science that this year and I just have a question about the MATH modules.

I have to take MATH00010 'cause I got lower than a C3 in higher level maths for the LC. Do I also have to take MATH10070, MATH10080 and MATH10090 on top of this?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Well?????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Depends what modules you pick. Unless it says manditory you shouldnt have to do it, but why would you pick a course like that if you were trying to avoid maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

If you look at https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_major?p_term_code=200900&p_cao_code=DN033&p_major_code=PAS1

Here you'll see that you have five core modules, you have to pick three MATH module (options) and (in your case) MATH 00010

If would suggest that you take MATH10070, 10080 and 10090. These are basic enough, I did them myself with only a D2 in H maths, but came out with A's and B's. Of course, that is just a suggestion.

Depends what modules you pick. Unless it says manditory you shouldnt have to do it, but why would you pick a course like that if you were trying to avoid maths?

I didn't say I wanted to avoid maths, I just wanted to know what I have to do.

If you look at https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_major?p_term_code=200900&p_cao_code=DN033&p_major_code=PAS1

Here you'll see that you have five core modules, you have to pick three MATH module (options) and (in your case) MATH 00010

If would suggest that you take MATH10070, 10080 and 10090. These are basic enough, I did them myself with only a D2 in H maths, but came out with A's and B's. Of course, that is just a suggestion.

Thanks, what's the MATH 00010 like, is it like leaving cert higher level maths, kinda like a revision course??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Not sure as back in my day (two years ago) they didn't have it and they have withheld the past exam paper so I can even tell you about that! But I can't see it being hard, it is an intro course at any rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

MATH 10070, 10080 and 10090 are fairly straightforward, a lot of revision from the leaving cert, plus a small bit more. MATH 10040, 10050 and 10060 would be more challenging, and are for people wanting to specialize in pure maths or courses with more emphasis on maths. Even if you're doing experimental physics, MATH 10070-10090 should be grand with the level of maths done in first year, so I wouldn't bother with 10040-10060 unless you have a genuine interest in maths. As for MATH 0010, seems like a waste of time tbh, unless you did really bad in your leaving and are required to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

One min there and ill check tat out for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

No u dont have to do it unless u did pass maths and got less than a B3

Good luck wit the course man......mite see ya around

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Most of the 4th year physics class did the harder maths (10040-60) in first year, although I know one who didn't and caught up and is doing very well.

I though MATH 10070 was a joke. If you were able for higher maths at all for LC, you'll probably find it boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Iancar29 wrote: »
    No u dont have to do it unless u did pass maths and got less than a B3

Good luck wit the course man......mite see ya around

You dont have to do it if you got either an A2 in Pass, or a C3 in honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Fad wrote: »
    You dont have to do it if you got either an A2 in Pass, or a C3 in honours.

A C3 in honours is soo much harder to get than an A2 in pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

A C3 in honours is soo much harder to get than an A2 in pass!

Irrelevant really, it's what they ask for.

I was looking at these notes on "blackboard" for MATH00010, is retardedly easy, like 1st year secondary school standard. Do you seriously have to do it?!

Advertisement