Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would a high number of previous owners bother you when buying a car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well what ever about the second car with 6 owners you can be sure that your first example has atleast 1 owner. I think the dealer might just be showing it as 0 owners because its an import and so wont show previous owners on the log book when its reged for the first time. ;)

Oh and I would buy a 6 owner car but only if its 1) in as good of condition as a car of similar vintage and 2) its a bit cheaper than a car of similar vintage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Well what ever about the second car with 6 owners you can be sure that your first example has atleast 1 owner. I think the dealer might just be showing it as 0 owners because its an import and so wont show previous owners on the log book when its reged for the first time. ;)

Oh and I would buy a 6 owner car but only if its 1) in as good of condition as a car of similar vintage and 2) its a bit cheaper than a car of similar vintage

Sorry should have said... Look at the two reg numbers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Sorry should have said... Look at the two reg numbers ;)

Sorry I didnt see the picture of the rear reg number. FFS its the same car. Someone just trying to cover the 6 owner question thats all... Well if you can get it from the dealer ad at the same price with a warranty then you're quids in....so long as its cheap enough. Dont know the worth of thoses things so I cant advice you if its good or bad value...sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Two possibilities for the high number of owners for that car...
    1. Crash(es) - get it thoroughly checked out, some of the owners could have thought they were bagging a bargain only to find out later it had been crashed so they moved it on quickly
    2. Running costs – you could easily get sucked into the dream only to find it emptied your pockets – check the service history to make sure maintenance hasn’t been overlooked, as can happen if money is tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

With a car like an Evo, 6 owners means that 6 people had their cut in it and drove the boIIix out of it before moving it on. No way would I go near it with 6 owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

^^^
    What he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

if OP would look a 1k car, then the number of owners would not be any issue,

but so expensive car like that Evo is, a car that needs a good owner to make sure it has been maintenanced well. No way I would consider that car, you have no info what kind of driving has been done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Very slightly interesting that it used to have a 2.0 petrol engine, then it shrank to a 1.9.
    ...6 owners in 3 years? Seems somewhat unlikely.

I'm thinking the guy trying to sell it privately 124 miles ago may not have been particularly literate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

A car could as easily have 1 owner who drove the cr@p out of it as 6 who looked after it very well. You are buying the car not the number of owners.

Gurgle wrote: »
    Very slightly interesting that it used to have a 2.0 petrol engine, then it shrank to a 1.9.
    ...6 owners in 3 years? Seems somewhat unlikely.

I'm thinking the guy trying to sell it privately 124 miles ago may not have been particularly literate.

Lots of cars on carzone seem to show 100cc under the real size. Seems another thing that they changed recently...

OP, with a car like this you really are better off searching out a 1 owner or even 2 owner car thats been cared for and serviced properly as opposed to one thats been bought for a bit of fun and sold on once the owner is finished with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Number of owners doesn't really concern me. It's the condition, mechanical and otherwise, as well as service history etc that are important. Though, six owners in three years does seem a tad out of the ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

A car could as easily have 1 owner who drove the cr@p out of it as 6 who looked after it very well. You are buying the car not the number of owners.

Chances of finding 1 owner who babied an Evo is rare... chances of finding 6 in a row is so rare that you might be better off doing the lotto and buying a brand new one.
    Besides, the more users of a car the more wear and tear it gets as everyone has a slightly different driving style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

young lads often get bored with a car after 6 months and jst keep swapping when they want something new

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

EPM wrote: »
    Lots of cars on carzone seem to show 100cc under the real size. Seems another thing that they changed recently...
    I've noticed that a lot lately. A 1,996cc car is now often listed as being a 1.9ltr instead of a 2.0ltr. I presume this is for tax reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've noticed that a lot lately. A 1,996cc car is now often listed as being a 1.9ltr instead of a 2.0ltr. I presume this is for tax reasons.

How does listing it wrong on carzone affect tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Especially in a car like an Evo, the more owners means there is a higher liklihood that some of them have drove the backside out of it, and sold it on before and maintenance had to be done. Wouldnt be so much of a concern with a Yaris etc....

Gurgle wrote: »
    How does listing it wrong on carzone affect tax?

I believe its a problem with their systems rather than them listing the cars wrongly most of the time. Seems to be based on actual capacity of a car (most are usually a few cc under the nearest litre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

According to www.mywheels.ie the car has 7 owners, so you'd be the 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

As an evo owner, I have to say I would be more concerned with a maintenance record and evidence of who was doing said maintaining, than I would be with a owner count.

The car has lower service intervals than most and has specific components such as its AYC that need servicing on an annual basis (for a non track day car).

Advertisement