Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is washing dishes part of the whole "making dinner" process?

• 19-08-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead thought it was and if it's not he thinks it definitely should be.

Came home from work the other day and Miss Piggy had a wonderful dinner laid out on the table which was a pleasant surprise as it's not too often an occurence. Dinner was great and after the meal Pighead burped, farted and opened his belt as a mark of appreciation for the food he had just enjoyed.

Pighead: Cheers my little sugar coated Frostie, that was delicious. I will see you later when you're finished up in here.
    Miss Piggy: What on earth are you banging on about? I am finished in here.
    Pighead: But the dishes aren't done?
    Miss Piggy: No shit Sherlock. That's your job. I cooked, the least you can do is pick up the dishes and put them in the dishwasher.
    Pighead: But I didn't ask you to cook, why the hell should I partake in a chore just because you felt like cooking? You must think it says "Yesterday" on Pigheads birth cert. The golden rule of cooking states "He or she who cooks shall also commit to cleaning the kitchen area after the cooking and eating have been finished with"
    Miss Piggy: That's bull**** Pighead, you've just made that rule up.
    Pighead: It's not bull****. What is bull**** is the fact that you've only half finished a job. How would you like it if Pighead bought you a dress but left it in the shop for you to collect? How would you like it if Pighead sang you a song and then stopped just when he was coming up to your favourite bit? You wouldn't like it one little bit and that's a fact. Now stop procrastinating and get those bloody dishes done.

Woke up this morning and the dishes are still on the table untouched. Don't know what to do. The woman's out of control and it seems she's gone a bit mad. Are their any online sites which have a list of household rules which Pighead could print out and present to Miss Piggy so he can finally put an end to this sorry mess once and for all?

Is dish washing part of the whole cooking thing? 70 votes

Of course it is
    0%
    No, it's a separate thing. Stop being lazy.
    18%
    DSondafly_blank_An Bradán FeasaKooliNiall09heyjudeBluscreendreamlaoisforliamDardaniamilly4everdaveyboy_1ieDigiGal 13 votes
    I don't really know. Our butler does ours.
    74%
    Ste.phensickleGordongurramoksuper_furryBeruthieltmantelemachusSoundWavemisswexSeifermatrimIagospoofilyjwonderwomankmickholly_johnsonmeditraitoriregkphilologos 52 votes
    I don't give a flying fcuk.
    7%
    netwhizkidCosmo KSVDamoDLKrobbie_998 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Buy a dishwasher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Long Onion wrote: »
    Buy a dishwasher

make sure she's hot too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Long Onion wrote: »
    Buy a dishwasher
    8th line in
    Miss Piggy: No **** Sherlock. That's your job. I cooked, the least you can do is pick up the dishes and put them in the dishwasher.

Dishwasher in place. It's the whole collecting dishes, stacking dishesinto said dishwasher, rigmaroll that has caused this standoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I have no idea.
    Charles does the dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

His post seems to suggest he has a dishwasher.

If you cook, the other person washes up.

• Advertisement

Is washing dishes part of the whole "making dinner" process?

Que?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Can you fit a trough in a dishwasher?

Or is it just a special lame third person perspective trough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You could have at least put the dishes in the dishwasher.

Might be a long time before Pighead gets fed by his little Frostie again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whoever cooks doesn't do the cleaning. Fairly straight forward I would have thought, particularly in a functioning defacto relationship. Maybe it's time Miss Piggy kicked ol Pighead to the curb and moved on to better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just throw them all out and buy new ones. I know we're in a recession but standards are standards

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    His post seems to suggest he has a dishwasher.

If you cook, the other person washes up.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Whoever cooks doesn't do the cleaning. Fairly straight forward I would have thought, particularly in a functioning defacto relationship. Maybe it's time Miss Piggy kicked ol Pighead to the curb and moved on to better things.
    Pighead would probably agree with this if the meal had have been a pre-arranged meal which had been discussed and agreed to by both parties beforehand but this was a surprise meal which contained absolutely zero dialogue between the two parties.

It's like Pighead taking Miss Piggy away on holidays somewhere and then telling her that she has to pitch the tents when we arrive at our destination. It just doesn't seem fair. If you want to do something nice for somebody you shouldn't expect anything back in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

Quoting the Flight of the Conchords here:

"Sorting out the recycling is not part of foreplay but it's important too"

Think same applies to tidying up after din dins if you want to get your leg over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

http://www.varsity.co.nz/content/view/158/138/
    Have dinner ready:
    Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready for your husband. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home, and the prospect of a good meal is part of this warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself:
    />Take 15 minutes to rest so that you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

Clear away the clutter:
    Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Light a candle. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

Prepare the children:
    Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Minimise all noise:
    At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Better yet, have them in bed.

Don’t Complain:
    Don't greet him with problems or complaints or complain if he's late for dinner. Just count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day. Speak in a low, soft soothing and pleasant voice.

Listen to him:
    You may have a dozen things to tell him - the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

Make the evening his:
    Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom.
    Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

No dishwashers there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Pighead wrote: »
    Are their any online sites which have a list of household rules which Pighead could print out and present to Miss Piggy so he can finally put an end to this sorry mess once and for all?

This might help.

Great thread, cheered me up no end.:D

/Edit I'm a bit late but mine's the original. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You make the dinner they wash-up and vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Do the washing up Pighead. Life is easier when you realise that women are right. Never try to face them down over something like this. No good could possibly come of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's like Pighead taking Miss Piggy away on holidays somewhere and then telling her that she has to pitch the tents when we arrive at our destination. It just doesn't seem fair. If you want to do something nice for somebody you shouldn't expect anything back in return.
    Nah, it's like you taking her on holidays and asking her to pay for the taxi from the airport to the hotel.

It must have been a real chore putting two plates, knives, forks and glasses into the dishwasher!

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Do the washing up Pighead. Life is easier when you realise that women are right. Never try to face them down over something like this. No good could possibly come of it.
    But surely that's just asking for trouble? If Pighead lets her away with this there's no telling where it will end. This time next week Pighead could be darning socks or worse still arrnging flowers.

Listen, Pigheads no neanderthal caveman who expects the woman to wait on him hand and foot (admittedly it would have been nice but thanks to Pigheads father's generation that particular dream scenario is a complete dead duck at this stage). Have absolutely no problem doing odd jobs around the house and helping out but sometimes there has to be a line drawn. A line which says "Equal rights Pighead's hole, you're looking for 60% of the rights at this stage and that's not really on sunshine"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's official, Piggie is one lazy fuker.

I'd also say he's lying through his teeth.
    If he still has any?
    Cos this Miss Piggy who allegedly cooked him dinner should have knocked them all out after getting such gip from him.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It's official, Piggie is one lazy fuker.

I'd also say he's lying through his teeth.
    If he still has any?
    Cos this Miss Piggy who allegedly cooked him dinner should have knocked them all out after getting such gip from him.
    No offence babes, but that's hogwash. Are you seriously telling Pighead that after preparing a surprise meal for your other lover that you didn't clean the cooking area and wash the dishes afterwards? Pighead finds that very hard to believe. Not sure why you're being like this. Can only guess you're showing off in front of the other girls in AH.

• Advertisement

The real problem is that laziness is relative. Years back, our parents were standing at the sink thinking "God, I wish someone would invent a machine to was these dishes ... "

Now we are standing at the dishwasher thinking "God, I wish someone would invent a machine to load and unload the dishwasher ... "

Perhaps Pighead could purchase a Brazilian street kid from the interweb, you could call him Paulo and he could live off the scraps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

When it comes to my house who ever cooks doesn't clean. The one who got dinner handed up to them cleans up and makes the after dinner tea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No offence babes, but that's hogwash. Are you seriously telling Pighead that after preparing a surprise meal for your only lover that you didn't clean the cooking area and wash the dishes afterwards?

I haven't washed a dish in 10 years...
    Pighead wrote:
    Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah.

You're just babbling there Piggie.

iregk wrote: »
    When it comes to my house who ever cooks doesn't clean. The one who got dinner handed up to them cleans up and makes the after dinner tea.
    Very strange. Shocked by the poll results to be honest(So shocked in fact that Pighead voted for the wrong option)

So let's get this straight. Ok somebody organises a huge surprise party for your 21st or 30th. Are you honestly saying that you should clean up the mess afterwards? Because thats the exact same thing(ish).

Very strange. Shocked by the poll results to be honest(So shocked in fact that Pighead voted for the wrong option)

So let's get this straight. Ok somebody organises a huge surprise party for your 21st or 30th. Are you honestly saying that you should clean up the mess afterwards? Because thats the exact same thing(ish).

I think that it would be polite and appreciative to offer, to refuse is probably selfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

8th line in
    Miss Piggy: No **** Sherlock. That's your job. I cooked, the least you can do is pick up the dishes and put them in the dishwasher.

Dishwasher in place. It's the whole collecting dishes, stacking dishesinto said dishwasher, rigmaroll that has caused this standoff

Lucky ya have a friggin dishwasher! It wouldn't even be considered a chore in my book...

My little book of rules!

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I haven't washed a dish in 10 years...
    That's only because you were put in prison.
    Your crime?
    Stealing Pighead's heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

You came home to a delicious unexpected meal, stop bitching that you were asked to do max 10 mins cleaning afterwards. Mountains out of mole hills here me thinks!!!

Also the meal was made as a surprise, the least you could do is return the favour by cleaning the place after with out quibble. This would have led to more meals cooked in the future, in stead of your OH thinking feck him If I'll go to the trouble again after he would not even tidy up after the last one!!!
    Get a grip man seriously...

spoofilyj wrote: »
    You came home to a delicious unexpected meal, stop bitching that you were asked to do max 10 mins cleaning afterwards. Mountains out of mole hills here me thinks!!!

Also the meal was made as a surprise, the least you could do is return the favour by cleaning the place after with out quibble. This would have led to more meals cooked in the future, in stead of your OH thinking feck him If I'll go to the trouble again after he would not even tidy up after the last one!!!
    Get a grip man seriously...
    Good afternoon spoofilyj or to give you your proper name: Miss Piggy. You'll have to get up a hell of a lot earlier to catch this poster out. Listen babes, the problem is not with the dinner, it was wonderful. The problem is the fact that you expected Pighead to tidy up your mess. You had chilli flakes on the counter top, aramat on the floor, flour on the ceiling and egg shells in the dog. The place was a mess.

Bottom line is that you had a day off whereas Pighead had been working all day. Surely you don't think it unreasonable that the love of your life just wanted to put his feet up and watch the football after the wonderful feast? Does Pighead even know you anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Good afternoon spoofilyj or to give you your proper name: Miss Piggy. You'll have to get up a hell of a lot earlier to catch this poster out. Listen babes, the problem is not with the dinner, it was wonderful. The problem is the fact that you expected Pighead to tidy up your mess. You had chilli flakes on the counter top, aramat on the floor, flour on the ceiling and egg shells in the dog. The place was a mess.

Bottom line is that you had a day off whereas Pighead had been working all day. Surely you don't think it unreasonable that the love of your life just wanted to put his feet up and watch the football after the wonderful feast? Does Pighead even know you anymore?

Pighead you raise a good point. While I believe you should indded clear the table and fill the dishwasher. Miss Piggy should clean as she goes and not leave you to deal with de-shelling the dog.

In summary.
    Putting plates, pots, pans etc in dishwasher - reasonable
    Cleaning down work-surfaces, sweeping up cooking mess - unreasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There are some very simple rules that need to be followed in order to ensure that any relationship runs smoothly. Even an everday event, such as dinner, has its own etiquette that must be observed if you want a trouble free life. For the busy business man with a lot on his mind here's a list of the main points:
    • If you do the shopping you don't do the cooking.
    • If you do the cooking you don't do the cleaning (including loading the dishwasher).
    • If you do the cleaning (including loading the dishwasher) you don't do the drying (including unloading the dishwasher).
    • If you do the drying (including unloading the dishwasher) you don't put the cutlery away.
    • If you put the cutlery away you don't take it out again.

This might seem like a lot to remember but it can be easily recalled using the mnemonic IIIII.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Earthhorse wrote: »
    There are some very simple rules that need to be followed in order to ensure that any relationship runs smoothly. Even an everday event, such as dinner, has its own etiquette that must be observed if you want a trouble free life. For the busy business man with a lot on his mind here's a list of the main points:
    • If you do the shopping you don't do the cooking
    • If you do the cooking you don't do the cleaning (including loading the dishwasher).
    • If you do the cleaning (including loading the dishwasher) you don't do the drying (including unloading the dishwasher).
    • If you do the drying (including unloading the dishwasher) you don't put the cutlery away.
    • If you put the cutlery away you don't take it out again.
    This might seem like a lot to remember but it can be easily recallued using the mnemonic IIIII.
    Fecking lucky git if you get away with that! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

No, it's a separate thing. Stop being lazy.
    I know very few people agree with me on this, but I firmly agree that the person who does the cooking should clean up afterwards, particularly if cooking is evenly spread between the couple/housemates.

I think this encourages good practice of 'clean as you go' because you know you are the one who has to tidy it up anyway. If someone else is cleaning up after you, you are more likely to leave the big pile to the end.

As someone who cleans as she goes, I would then be REALLY pissed off if on my fellas turns to cook, I would be faced with a mountain of pots and pans as well as the dishes once the meal is over, when on my nights all he has to do is the plates. Would I then start being less conscientious about cleaning as I go? Probably! (is that petty?!!)

It also means that your night off is your night off, and the joy of being cooked for isn't tainted by having to wash up afterwards. It's more of a treat to cook for each other then.

Now this to me just seems SO logical and always has, I don't understand why everyone doesn't agree with me!!

Except in the cases where one person does most of the cooking. Then it might make sense for the other person to do most of the cleaning...

Kooli wrote: »
    I know very few people agree with me on this, but I firmly agree that the person who does the cooking should clean up afterwards, particularly if cooking is evenly spread between the couple/housemates.

I think this encourages good practice of 'clean as you go' because you know you are the one who has to tidy it up anyway. If someone else is cleaning up after you, you are more likely to leave the big pile to the end.

As someone who cleans as she goes, I would then be REALLY pissed off if on my fellas turns to cook, I would be faced with a mountain of pots and pans as well as the dishes once the meal is over, when on my nights all he has to do is the plates. Would I then start being less conscientious about cleaning as I go? Probably! (is that petty?!!)

It also means that your night off is your night off, and the joy of being cooked for isn't tainted by having to wash up afterwards. It's more of a treat to cook for each other then.

Now this to me just seems SO logical and always has, I don't understand why everyone doesn't agree with me!!

Except in the cases where one person does most of the cooking. Then it might make sense for the other person to do most of the cleaning...

That is an absolutely exquisite post. As Pighead was reading it he found himself shouting "Hell yeah" and "Right on sister". Was nodding the old head vigorously in agreement after each and every line. Probably looked like an epileptic hen but that doesn't matter because that post really needed to be shown some appreciation. Pighead's got his hand up in the air awaiting a virtual high five, don't leave him hanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

I do the cooking almost every night, i enjoy spending a fair bit of time making nice meals etc and i think its only fair that if i cook.. then i don't clean.. that being said i try not to leave the kitchen in a complete state..

I think piglet needs to man up and put away the dishes after hes had dinner cooked for him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Changes everywhere really!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

S/he who cooks shall not clean up...

I think it's unfair to expect the person who has been "slaving over a hot stove" to have to clean up after feeding you!

Personally, I always clean as I go so there's not much cleaning to do once I have dinner on the plates...

I think it's unfair to expect the person who has been "slaving over a hot stove" to have to clean up after feeding you!
    Slaving over a hot stove! Ah c'mon now, that's a bit much. She put a few ingredients into a pot (leaving an almighty mess whilst doing so) and then threw a slab of meat into the oven before sitting back in the easy chair and reading a book about a boy who survives 227 days after a shipwreck, while stranded on a boat in the Pacific Ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

I usually wash em before eating, cos I know I won't feel like doing it after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's like Pighead taking Miss Piggy away on holidays somewhere and then telling her that she has to pitch the tents when we arrive at our destination.

"Pitching a tent" is definitely the man's job.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    "Pitching a tent" is definitely the man's job.
    Some might say that "washing the dishes" is definitely a womans job.
    Not Pighead though, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

ROFL
    Unless you like you Miss Piggy with a beard and man parts, I'm not your man...:eek:

spoofilyj wrote: »
    ROFL
    Unless you like you Miss Piggy with a beard and man parts, I'm not your man...:eek:
    Save the dirty talk for later my little bounty bar. For now, concentrate on getting your pretty little behind into the kitchen and cleaning up that mess that you left yesterday evening. See ya later sweetcheeks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Save the dirty talk for later my little bounty bar. For now, concentrate on getting your pretty little behind into the kitchen and cleaning up that mess that you left yesterday evening. See ya later sweetcheeks..

:eek:

One slipped through Piggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Yes, If you're male, middle-aged, cant/wont cook and enjoy patronising women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dump her Pighead, she is just holding you back. Then join a club (that book club you always wanted to) or go travelling.

Advertisement