Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Finnish girls coming to Galway - we need halp!

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi!

Me and my friend are from Finland and we're planning on coming to Galway in October for a month or two to work and see what it's like in Ireland. The problem is that we can't seem to find anyone who would hire two 19-year-old girls for such a short time, especially when we don't really have any special working experience. Even the cleaning jobs require experience! :rolleyes: And another problem is finding a place to stay that's furnished, cheap and close to city centre. We've looked through daft.ie and several other websites, but all the apartments or rooms out there are either too expensive or require one year lease or something.

So we thought that we should ask the people who know the best, since it's sort of hard finding a job when we don't really even know the places to look for jobs and apartments. Is it easier to just come to Galway and find the job when we get there or should we keep looking and try to find one? And how safe is it to rent a room in someone else's house? There's been quite a few offers for rooms but the thing is, most of the tenants or landlords are single men living alone and we don't really feel comfortable with that. :p

Oh and another thing, we're still kind of trying to decide between Galway and Cork, and since Cork is a bigger city it's probably easier to find a job and a place to stay, but on the other hand, we've heard Galway is the most Irish city in Ireland and that's the reason why we're coming to Ireland, to see what it's really like. I know, I'm asking "Galway or Cork" in a Galway forum, I'm expecting you to be biased. :D But what do you think, is Galway worth all the work we need to do before we even get there?

Also, one reason why we're coming is to see the legendary pubs and nightlife and all that, so if you have any recommendations what we should do in Galway, bring them on. :) And if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it! I've been stalking the boards for almost a year but didn't have the need to register until now. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i would reccomend Galway, ive lived in both but i think Galway has more to offer. Often the easiest places to find are when you arrive and look at a place.

I think firstly you need to start looking for work without letting employers know your intention is to only stay one or two months.
    (alot of people have said that about coming to galway who are here years)

right now all the students are looking for accomodation so the search would be crazy. give it a month and you will get a better reflection of whats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The pubs here are indeed legendary, Cork and Galway are both nice but I think I'd recommend Galway.

Accommodation wouldn't be a big problem, it would be easy enough to get a couple of bedrooms in a shared house with people of a similar age, Irish or otherwise. There are a lot of young people in Galway doing similar things to yourself.

However you will have a very very tough time finding work unless you are lucky. The employment situation in Ireland, and especially Galway, is not so good. If you search very hard you might find something, but you'll need a bit of luck too.

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Finally, await at least one or two requests for "pics??" within the next couple of posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Try www.couchsurfing.com but that is only for 1 or 2 nights per place.

Problem is two months is a holiday. No one is going to employ you on a holiday so bring enough money to last you. Hostel it if needs be.

Also try www.nixers.ie for very short term jobs - if you are reasonable looking with good english you should probably be able to land some promotions work in bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would suggest first coming to Galway for a week to get the feel for it, then go to Cork for a while, then decide.
    Jobs are difficult to find at the moment but there's always bar jobs or similar to find if you walk around asking, particularly if you're a girl.

I've met some Finnish/Swedish/Danish girls here already so there are already Scandis here, and in Cork too I'm sure.

Daft and Advertiser will have plenty of rooms in October, you'll find a house with girls only easy

Anyway, fáilte!

edit, and to accommodate cornbb -

Linda-Lampenius_200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Haha thanks for the help! It says a lot about the famous Irish hospitality if we're only getting "pics??", not "pics or GTFO". :D

We would rather just come and hang out for a month or two but when it comes to money, I'm not sure if it's an option. We're both students so we're not exactly rolling on money. Maybe we'll just wait till we get there and then see if we can find a job, and if not, well we're gonna have a lot of spare time in our hands I guess. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Have you budgeted for accomodation/food/living if you *can't* get a job? Or are you relying on getting a job? Accomodation in Galway isin't cheap :(

Have you budgeted for accomodation/food/living if you *can't* get a job? Or are you relying on getting a job? Accomodation in Galway isin't cheap

Yep we have, if we can't get a job we'll probably only have money to stay for one month since the rent is ridiculously expensive.

And yeah we're not a part of Scandinavia and Linda Lampenius (though I think she changed her name into something less penis-like) isn't really even Finnish anymore, she lives in USA if I remember right. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Firtly you don't say that you're only hear for 2 months when you look for work or a place to stay.
    There should be plenty of work during the day when the students are back (in coffee shops or pubs) and there's always work to be got in Nightclubs.
    In fact everyone talks about how few jobs there are in Galway yet they seem to be advertised on the windows of pubs and shops all around the city.
    Most now require good english and from your message you'll have no problem there.

And Galway is way better than Cork.. I lived in Cork for a year and hated it.
    Sure it's a nice city but it has no Soul :D
    Galway is the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Check out the Paradis Club on Dominick Street.

You might get a job lap-dancing

ho ho ho...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

By mid-October, some of the hostels should be offering weekly rate.

I think Kinlay House was E-90 last year, some of the grottier ones may be less.

To work, you will need to get a PPS number (government ID). This takes several weeks, and you need a postal address for the number to be sent to, and some ID (possibly a birth certificate - not sure if just a passport is enough for EU residents? ... hmm, is Finland in the EU?) (To start the process, visit the Social Welfare office, take a number from the ticket machine and join the queue, it may take several hours for your number to be called - this is an approach that you will get used to ;) )

You will also need to open a bank account. This fascinating process takes 3-4 weeks and requires you to have proof of address. Some hostels will give you a letter saying that you're living there (ie proof) but you need to have paid in advance for a few weeks (3 I think ) - this isn't the hostels being mean, there really is a legal requirement, it's all about stopping money laundering.

All in all, if you're only planning on staying a month or two, it may be a good deal easier if you don't work. You may pick up some cash jobs, you may not, but they aren't likely to be advertised. And because this is boards.ie, I need to say that you are legally requried to pay tax on income from cash jobs, and not doing so is fraud which we do not encourage here.

Also, as an earlier poster said, Galway is full of people who came for a short visit and never managed to leave. Mr Just, in fact, calls it the Hotel California of Ireland. If you do get sucked into this vortex, it is a very good idea to face up to the processes listed above and get out of the cash economy, because the entire Irish welfare system is based on "stamps" (old word for welfare credits), and you can find yourself in a very difficult situation if you've been here for years but never paid any.

Hope this helps - enjoy your holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

If you post a pic, ill know if you are suitable for promotional work for a nightclub

€15 per hour, for 3 hours at night, 4 nights a week!

= 180... Its not much, but it will keep ya alive, plus free entry to clubs too, maybe free drinks if your very nice!

Obviously promo work is dependent on physical appearence, so... pm me your pic, or, post on the thread and ill see what i can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tony, that's not on.

Girls, if you find you want to pursue this, feel free to PM this guy I don't know, but there is no pressure to post any information about yourselves here, least of all any pics.
    If you decide to work for a promotion company, get the official address for the office. Then check them out and meet at the office.

Tony can you give us an official address so we can check it out?

To work, you will need to get a PPS number (government ID). This takes several weeks, and you need a postal address for the number to be sent to, and some ID (possibly a birth certificate - not sure if just a passport is enough for EU residents? ... hmm, is Finland in the EU?) (To start the process, visit the Social Welfare office, take a number from the ticket machine and join the queue, it may take several hours for your number to be called - this is an approach that you will get used to )

You will also need to open a bank account. This fascinating process takes 3-4 weeks and requires you to have proof of address. Some hostels will give you a letter saying that you're living there (ie proof) but you need to have paid in advance for a few weeks (3 I think ) - this isn't the hostels being mean, there really is a legal requirement, it's all about stopping money laundering.

All in all, if you're only planning on staying a month or two, it may be a good deal easier if you don't work. You may pick up some cash jobs, you may not, but they aren't likely to be advertised. And because this is boards.ie, I need to say that you are legally requried to pay tax on income from cash jobs, and not doing so is fraud which we do not encourage here.

Okay wow that's a lot of paperwork to do for just a month or two. Yeah Finland is in the EU so basically we should be able to just come and go. Ugh I guess we're going to have to think about the job thing, I really don't think it's worth all that fuss. But then again, what the heck are we going to do if we don't have jobs? :D
    Tony, that's not on.

Girls, if you find you want to pursue this, feel free to PM this guy I don't know, but there is no pressure to post any information about yourselves here, least of all any pics.
    If you decide to work for a promotion company, get the official address for the office. Then check them out and meet at the office.

Tony can you give us an official address so we can check it out?

Yep I'm not sure I'd like to work for someone who would be ready to hire me based on how I look. :D So I'm probably going to have to say no thank you for you offer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I'm a bar manager for a club, dont use agencies, we get enough applications. and with respect, physical appearence is a criteria for employment when considering for promotional staff. I was only trying to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Not everyone from Finland and Scandanavia are beautiful... just like not everyone from Ireland is a drunk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm from Cork and I recommend going to Galway. :pac:

I've always found the Galway people a lot more respectable. If you're lost you can ask anybody and they'll point you in the right direction. Whereas in Cork you could get funny looks for asking such stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

We currently have exciting roles available in the prestigious company IBM for Nordic speakers with IT or Customer service skills. In other words, an opportunity to acquire skills and experience for a great future!

If you are not in Ireland yet, we will arrange all the necessary interviews, brief you fully on the location, the job requirements, the financial package and fully support you in relocating to Ireland to work.

The best thing of all is that while you are working with us and gaining so much for your future…..you are having fun and the great personal experience of working with colleagues from all over Europe

I got this mail a few days ago from Manpower and seeing this thread reminded me - check out http://www.manpower.ie and maybe see what its about, might be useful

I'm a bar manager for a club, dont use agencies, we get enough applications. and with respect, physical appearence is a criteria for employment when considering for promotional staff. I was only trying to help.

Yeah I get that, it's the same thing here. I hope I didn't come off rude, I didn't mean to. I'm still not going to post my picture here though, all I'm saying is that if we don't get a job, it won't be because of our looks. :p

And Jugs82, I went to the website and it said there are no available jobs in Galway at the moment or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

suomi wrote: »
    And Jugs82, I went to the website and it said there are no available jobs in Galway at the moment or something?

Strange - maybe drop them a mail and ask if there is anything available for a Nordic speaker as you heard that there might be something. That said, It might be Dublin, now that I think about it but could be worth a shot anyways..

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Strange - maybe drop them a mail and ask if there is anything available for a Nordic speaker as you heard that there might be something. That said, It might be Dublin, now that I think about it but could be worth a shot anyways..

Yep I'll do that, it's worth the try! Thanks for the tip :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jugs82 wrote: »
    I got this mail a few days ago from Manpower and seeing this thread reminded me - check out http://www.manpower.ie and maybe see what its about, might be useful

Do www.manpower.ie actually handle roles in Galway? I know they list some, but wasn't sure that they really expected to fill 'em. I'd be checking www.cpl.ie for Galway IT+language roles, not sure that they'll be giving any to two-month-holidaymakers though.

(Personally I won't use the company just 'cos of their name. Well I guess I might compromise if they were the only agent in town, but 'til then ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

JustMary wrote: »
    (Personally I won't use the company just 'cos of their name. Well I guess I might compromise if they were the only agent in town, but 'til then ...)

They've had it since 1948, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a change...

http://www.manpower.com/about/about.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

You mentioned that you are students, what are you studying as it even maybe wise to findout any intern-ship or trainee positions with the UNI's (GMIT and NUIG) or maybe some of the business schools. that way if you get employed by a organization they will see that all the proper paperwork is prepared for (e.g, Bank Account, Social welfare, accommodation) etc.) it will speed up allot of these things.
    Some of the larger companies also employ people like this, HP, Boston Sci,

The reason I say this is because I lived with a Swedish and Finish guy, also new a Swedish girl that ended up just leaving the country because it was far more differcult to live here when you come from such a superior country,
    Ireland maybe a cool place but the similiest things such as infrastructure, making a bank account can be a pain, finding an apartment. e.g( buses don't come on time, very little routes, Expensive stuff!)
    Don't forget the weather also gets to people
    but consider what off sets this, after living 6 months with these guys from Sweden and Finland they where excellent! and they loved the Irish atmosphere, social-life, they never regreted there stay here

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You mentioned that you are students, what are you studying as it even maybe wise to findout any intern-ship or trainee positions with the UNI's (GMIT and NUIG) or maybe some of the business schools. that way if you get employed by a organization they will see that all the proper paperwork is prepared for (e.g, Bank Account, Social welfare, accommodation) etc.) it will speed up allot of these things.
    Some of the larger companies also employ people like this, HP, Boston Sci,

The reason I say this is because I lived with a Swedish and Finish guy, also new a Swedish girl that ended up just leaving the country because it was far more differcult to live here when you come from such a superior country,
    Ireland maybe a cool place but the similiest things such as infrastructure, making a bank account can be a pain, finding an apartment. e.g( buses don't come on time, very little routes, Expensive stuff!)
    Don't forget the weather also gets to people
    but consider what off sets this, after living 6 months with these guys from Sweden and Finland they where excellent! and they loved the Irish atmosphere, social-life, they never regreted there stay here

Best of Luck
    I had a Finish couple couchsurf with me for a few days and they loved how different Ireland was, they loved the old buildings and the fact we just don't take anything as seriously as they do in Finland.

The thing with Ireland is to go with the flow, planning for just about anything is pointless as it'll all go out the window when you try to go through with it, but walk into a pub and you could be set up just by talking to the right person.

Expect nothing but be prepared for anything. ;)

get on the search for work first and worry about the paper work after, employers will always help out with it anyhow.

the worlds has enough red tape. it needs green lights instead

That's exactly why I think I'll love Ireland - here everyone is so uptight and everything needs to be done the same way, if you do something differently everyone'll think you're nuts. I've wanted to come to Ireland for about 8 years and I'm so close now, I'm not going to let anything mess this up! :D A lot of my friends think I'm crazy for wanting to go to Ireland because it rains a lot and people drink beer all the time etc etc. Hell, I happen to love the rain so I don't think that'll be a problem, and the drinking thing, we have alcoholics here just as many as in Ireland, the difference is that Finnish people drink pure alcohol because beer isn't strong enough. So yeah I think I'll be fine. :p

Oh and yeah we're students but we're not in a university or anything, so we can't really do the internship thing.

One thing I meant to ask: what do people in Ireland think of foreigners? I know there's lots of them in Dublin, but how about Galway? Blame the boards for this stupid question, it's just that there have been so many threads about "the fecking foreigners are taking our jobs!!!" and I was just wondering what people will think when I say I'm from Finland and I'm here to work? Don't worry, I'm not going to take your wimmiz though :D

i think galway is very tolerant to foreigners, especially europeans. we should be anyhow its our bread and butter

That's good to know. :)

Btw I just found out how Galway is pronounced and I have difficulties understanding why. :D I thought it was Gal-way, "a" being short and like in "cat". But it sounds more like Gooolwai or something. Very confusing. I tend to have an american accent since I've lived there for six months, so pronouncing Galway the way it's supposed to is going to be a challenge haha. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

It's more like GALL-way as in "gallstones".

• Advertisement

Haha well I don't know how to pronounce "gallstones" so... :D Oh well I guess I'll figure it out when I get there. I just don't want to be that moron who doesn't even know how to pronounce the city's name where they're in. :p

Advertisement