Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Finnish girls coming to Galway - we need halp!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

i think youll be grand.thats what galway is all about.i just had a lad from japan stay for a few months.his english was bad.but he fitted in no bother.enjoy ur stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

suomi wrote: »
    Haha well I don't know how to pronounce "gallstones" so... :D Oh well I guess I'll figure it out when I get there. I just don't want to be that moron who doesn't even know how to pronounce the city's name where they're in. :p

Don't worry, as far as we're concerned you come from a land of unpronouncable place names.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Don't worry, as far as we're concerned you come from a land of unpronouncable place names.

True true, I live in a city called Jyväskylä. Try saying that fast ten times in a row. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Btw I just found out how Galway is pronounced and I have difficulties understanding why.
    It's like Gawl-way, not gal as in girl. Just get really drunk and you'll have no problem speaking like an Irish person. :pac:
    One thing I meant to ask: what do people in Ireland think of foreigners? I know there's lots of them in Dublin, but how about Galway?
    There are allot of foreign students in Galway so I suppose we've had a better class of foreigner. I really don't think two Finish women will have any problems in Galway, I'd say most people would agree that there's a shocking lack of young Finish women in Galway.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are allot of foreign students in Galway so I suppose we've had a better class of foreigner. I really don't think two Finish women will have any problems in Galway, I'd say most people would agree that there's a shocking lack of young Finish women in Galway.

Haha well wait till we get there, you'll all agree two in one city is plenty. :D Nah just kidding, we really thought though when deciding between Cork, Galway and Dublin at one point that Galway wouldn't have many or any foreign people and that's really what we're trying to do, get away from Finnish people. 19 years of fake modesty and chronic shyness is enough for anyone. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Haha well wait till we get there, you'll all agree two in one city is plenty. :D Nah just kidding, we really thought though when deciding between Cork, Galway and Dublin at one point that Galway wouldn't have many or any foreign people and that's really what we're trying to do, get away from Finnish people. 19 years of fake modesty and chronic shyness is enough for anyone. :rolleyes:
    Don't worry I'm sure you'll leave Galway completely corrupted and more than likely pick up many bad habits in the process.

Good call on avoiding Dublin too, it's a horrible place.

Don't worry I'm sure you'll leave Galway completely corrupted and more than likely pick up many bad habits in the process.

Good call on avoiding Dublin too, it's a horrible place.

Yep we figured that all the big cities are pretty much alike, you don't really see the real people there. If I wanted to meet chinese and polish people, I'd go to China or Poland. :D No offence to people in Dublin though.

I have one bad habit to learn, I'm trying to learn to like beer. I just realized that what am I doing, going to Ireland and not liking beer? I've heard how hard it is to find cider in Irish pubs, and since Ireland probably is the beer capital of the world, I really just need to suck it up and practice until I like it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Are you joking? You'll find Cider in all Irish pubs. Not sure if it's as good as Finnish cider, but there's plenty of it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I've heard how hard it is to find cider in Irish pubs, and since Ireland probably is the beer capital of the world, I really just need to suck it up and practice until I like it. :p

Nice surprise for you: Bulmers

You'll can get Koppaberg in lots of place too.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Nice surprise for you: Bulmers

You'll can get Koppaberg in lots of place too.
    Bulmers is everywhere.

Have you tried Guinness? If you get used to it, it's a nice pub drink.

• Advertisement

Haha well I guess the person who told me that has never actually been to an Irish pub. :D That's good to hear though, now I don't have to force myself to drink beer. I haven't tried Guinness, it looks really good but it's really expensive here and someone said it's not even the original one, but I don't know about that. We only have this kind of beer: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiedosto:Real_Ale_2004-05-09_cropped.jpg I don't really know what it's called in beer language, but I think it tastes like cat pee. :D

And yeah I agree, I'll probably prefer the weather in Ireland, here it gets super cold, sometimes it's -30 C. But it's really humid in Ireland isn't it? That's going to take time to get used to, here it's the exact opposite at winter. Really dry and cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JGKyne

Your making an excellent choice coming to Galway, most welcoming city in Ireland by far but then I suppose I'm bias!!
    Nightlife wise... Galway in the summer is excellent, for the winter all the students are back so the pubs and clubs are full most nights during the week... You'll never have a boring night in Galway. I cant wait to get back to college and start it all over again :)

Guinness is one of the cheaper drinks in Irish pubs. Plus the 250th anniversary is this year so there will be loads of promotions, I think there's even a thread somewhere here talking about it.

Guinness is one of the cheaper drinks in Irish pubs. Plus the 250th anniversary is this year so there will be loads of promotions, I think there's even a thread somewhere here talking about it.

That's cool, so how much is a pint? Here it's about 4-5 euros, though I'm not sure if it's the same size as in Ireland. We're trying to figure out our budget and based on what I've read, the pubs and clubs are way more expensive than here. :eek: And here I though that our 5 euro entrance fee was too much. :D

I paid €3.80 in Taafes last night...

JGKyne wrote: »
    I paid €3.80 in Taafes last night...

Oh well that is cheap, finally something's cheaper than what we expected. :p

That price was for during the week, it might be more expensive on a weekend night....

That's cool, so how much is a pint? Here it's about 4-5 euros, though I'm not sure if it's the same size as in Ireland. We're trying to figure out our budget and based on what I've read, the pubs and clubs are way more expensive than here. :eek: And here I though that our 5 euro entrance fee was too much. :D
    The price of clubs here is ridiculous and their not nearly worth the money. Fortunately there's enough craic on the street in Galway that you never have to go near them and allot of pubs stay open as long as the clubs so there's even less point in going to them.

Take out drink is pretty cheap though.

The price of clubs here is ridiculous and their not nearly worth the money. Fortunately there's enough craic on the street in Galway that you never have to go near them and allot of pubs stay open as long as the clubs so there's even less point in going to them.

Take out drink is pretty cheap though.

Okay that's good to know. We really don't have pubs here, only clubs and then some wannabe Irish-pubs, so that's why it's hard to imagine not going to the clubs. But I'm sure I'll like the pubs more since I'll actually be able to talk there instead of yelling. :D

Okay that's good to know. We really don't have pubs here, only clubs and then some wannabe Irish-pubs, so that's why it's hard to imagine not going to the clubs. But I'm sure I'll like the pubs more since I'll actually be able to talk there instead of yelling. :D
    Not likely, Irish pubs are very loud, often have music blaring and full to the brim with people. That's changing now thanks to the recession though, in fact thanks to the recession you couldn't have picked a better time to come to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Not likely, Irish pubs are very loud, often have music blaring and full to the brim with people. That's changing now thanks to the recession though, in fact thanks to the recession you couldn't have picked a better time to come to Ireland.

Haha what do you mean?

Haha what do you mean?
    Not as over priced anymore. This country badly needed this recession to bring us back down to earth. Other than all the unemployment it's great. :D

Not as over priced anymore. This country badly needed this recession to bring us back down to earth. Other than all the unemployment it's great. :D

Oh I see. Well I guess it's good someone's happy about recession. :D I wish that was happening here too, we just have unemployment and higher prices. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

do you like rain?! cause its been raining here constantly since 10am and this is our "summer"!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

skelliser wrote: »
    do you like rain?! cause its been raining here constantly since 10am and this is our "summer"!

10am? try 2-3am :D non freakin stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mactard wrote: »
    10am? try 2-3am :D non freakin stop!

Try since June.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Try since June.

oh snap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

you can find some cheap accomodation, some rooms for 60 euro or if youre lucky 50 euro a week, then if you want a job, you can look up the galway advertiser online and go to the recruitment section and find loads of jobs there, most dont need any experience i think. Or just ask around in a few places like pubs or shops to see if they have places available. I f you just go to some low cost shops you can buy a lot of food really cheap. i dunno who this " halp " is either???

skelliser wrote: »

I loooove rain, we had a really warm summer with maybe five rainy days and I hated it, I'm not a big fan of summer! I'll just buy some waterproof makeup and I'm good to go. :D

Oh and sells, thanks for the tips, I'll try that website! I guess Ireland's like Finland when it comes to finding jobs, 9 out of 10 jobs aren't on the internet. :rolleyes:

So what's the weather going to be like in October or November? How cold will it get? I'm trying to figure out what to bring with me. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Suomi, I have a daughter who is slightly older than you and she went travelling around your age. You're probably feeling a mixture of excitement and apprehension about this trip. All I can say is enjoy it and I hope your stay in Ireland turns out to be every thing you hoped for. If you can't get work, try to see some of the lovely countryside around Galway such as Connemara and the Burren. Enjoy.

Advertisement