Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Finnish girls coming to Galway - we need halp!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

suomi wrote: »
    I loooove rain, we had a really warm summer with maybe five rainy days and I hated it, I'm not a big fan of summer! I'll just buy some waterproof makeup and I'm good to go. :D

Oh and sells, thanks for the tips, I'll try that website! I guess Ireland's like Finland when it comes to finding jobs, 9 out of 10 jobs aren't on the internet. :rolleyes:

So what's the weather going to be like in October or November? How cold will it get? I'm trying to figure out what to bring with me. :p

Our climate in Ireland is classed as cool temperate maritime if I remember correctly from my geography. This means that we don't really have the extremes experienced on the continent at any time of the year. Basically, ireland is usually mild and wet thanks to the influence of the Atlantic and prevailing on-shore winds. The coldest it goes to in winter is probably at most -8C. Not sure what the highest temp. in summer would be; perhaps 25C. Oct. and Nov. should be wet and windy...but not too cold. I bet you really can't wait to get here now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Our climate in Ireland is classed as cool temperate maritime if I remember correctly from my geography. This means that we don't really have the extremes experienced on the continent at any time of the year. Basically, ireland is usually mild and wet thanks to the influence of the Atlantic and prevailing on-shore winds. The coldest it goes to in winter is probably at most -8C. Not sure what the highest temp. in summer would be; perhaps 25C. Oct. and Nov. should be wet and windy...but not too cold. I bet you really can't wait to get here now :D

Yeah that sounds pretty good compared to what we have here. I might miss the snow though :p But it's good that I don't have to wear a hundred layers of clothing when I go outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Try since June.

.. June 2007, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yeah that sounds pretty good compared to what we have here. I might miss the snow though :p But it's good that I don't have to wear a hundred layers of clothing when I go outside!

Its grey + wet though, the winter isn't very pleasant, and some of the summer too. Plus Galway houses don't tend to hold the heat in very well so you might still find it pretty cold here - it doesn't get *very* cold here, it won't go below 0 very often, but we tend to be ill-prepared for even that :p

I'm sure you'll love Galway regardless. It tends to suck people in. It has an intangible soul like no other place. You won't want to leave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JennyMaguire

My advice would be book a hostel for the first few nights and look for a house once your here.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    Its grey + wet though, the winter isn't very pleasant, and some of the summer too. Plus Galway houses don't tend to hold the heat in very well so you might still find it pretty cold here - it doesn't get *very* cold here, it won't go below 0 very often, but we tend to be ill-prepared for even that :p

I'm sure you'll love Galway regardless. It tends to suck people in. It has an intangible soul like no other place. You won't want to leave :)

Yeah I'm prepared already for not wanting to leave, and actually I don't think it would be the end of the world if I stayed a bit longer. Though I do want to be home for christmas. But who knows what's going to happen. :)

And JennyMaguire, that's a good idea too! I'm just afraid we won't find a house when we get there and it'll be crazy expensive staying in a hostel. Well good thing we still have time to plan everything before October. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JennyMaguire

Well if you do decide to price a hostel there is one very close to the city centre called Sleepzone, not sure of prices though?

So is this a cultural trip or a party one!?

Well if you do decide to price a hostel there is one very close to the city centre called Sleepzone, not sure of prices though?

So is this a cultural trip or a party one!?

Ahem, cultural of course. :p Nah, we're just coming to see what it's like and meet new people and of course hear the awesome accent :D So I'd say it's a bit both, maybe a cultural party trip? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Don't worry, I'm not going to take your wimmiz though :D

What about our men? Its not fair foreigners coming to our shores and stealing our blokes. :( Especially with all the Polish men gone home the choice is limited! Competition like this isn't healthy.......exotic Finnish birds on cultural exchange......we won't know what hit us!:eek:

finisklin wrote: »
    What about our men? Its not fair foreigners coming to our shores and stealing our blokes. :( Especially with all the Polish men gone home the choice is limited! Competition like this isn't healthy.......exotic Finnish birds on cultural exchange......we won't know what hit us!:eek:

That's so very true. But the good thing is, we're not too picky. Everyone who speaks english with an irish accent is the most amazing thing on earth, so you can feel free to pick the best ones and we'll just take what's left and be super happy about it. :p

• Advertisement

That's so very true. But the good thing is, we're not too picky. Everyone who speaks english with an irish accent is the most amazing thing on earth, so you can feel free to pick the best ones and we'll just take what's left and be super happy about it. :p

:eek:OMG....exotic Finnish birds with zero expectations (except an Irish accent) means that Supermacs at 3am on a Saturday night is gonna be a warzone. Reminder: wear combats & war paint to show I mean business ....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hope you've watched the west of Ireland orientation series of videos. It's called father Ted.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope you've watched the west of Ireland orientation series of videos. It's called father Ted.

"This video is not available in your country blahblahblah" Oh man, what am I going to do now, I can't go to Ireland without knowing the essentials. :p I guess I'll just look it up on youtube.

... gee I have no idea what they're talking about :pac: It's not the same video though. Well at least now I'll know what to expect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

If your looking for a job never mind all this legal document rubbish. Your best bet is to call around to pubs and shops and ask for part-time, maybe 20hrs a week would be enough. It shouldn't be too bad getting a job if you look hard enough and make sure you tell them that you have experience. Lie if neccesary, any person can pick up shop work or bar work.
    Stay in a hostel for the first week over there and organise a set price with the owner, you will get it for cheaper this way, then go through the local papers, college notice boards etc and you will have no problem getting a cheap room, maybe the two of ye could stay in the same room and only end up paying €30 a week - buy a blow up bed in a local supermaket and you'll be fine.
    Shop in cheap supermarkets like Teso and Aldi and drink alcohol at home before you go out. It won't cost you too much if your clever and you will meet loads of people after a while and you can go to house parties to drink. Buy a mobile phine between the two of ye because this will be very important when looking for jobs and meeting new people- it will save a lot of money in the long run over using local phones and it will come in very handy. I have travelled over the world and done the above many times!! Most importantly make sure you enjoy yourself and don't work too hard.:D

Tobyglen wrote: »
    If your looking for a job never mind all this legal document rubbish. Your best bet is to call around to pubs and shops and ask for part-time, maybe 20hrs a week would be enough. It shouldn't be too bad getting a job if you look hard enough and make sure you tell them that you have experience. Lie if neccesary, any person can pick up shop work or bar work.
    Stay in a hostel for the first week over there and organise a set price with the owner, you will get it for cheaper this way, then go through the local papers, college notice boards etc and you will have no problem getting a cheap room, maybe the two of ye could stay in the same room and only end up paying €30 a week - buy a blow up bed in a local supermaket and you'll be fine.
    Shop in cheap supermarkets like Teso and Aldi and drink alcohol at home before you go out. It won't cost you too much if your clever and you will meet loads of people after a while and you can go to house parties to drink. Buy a mobile phine between the two of ye because this will be very important when looking for jobs and meeting new people- it will save a lot of money in the long run over using local phones and it will come in very handy. I have travelled over the world and done the above many times!! Most importantly make sure you enjoy yourself and don't work too hard.:D

Thanks a lot for the tips, they're going to be very useful!! :p We do the alcohol thing back at home too, it's way too expensive to drink in clubs. I'm really considering the hostel option right now, maybe it really is easier to just wait till we get there. :)

I find it hilarious that this thread has already recieved 2,000 views in under 2 days. Didn't realise Galway was this helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

A bunch of internet nerds falling all over themselves to help a couple of 19 year old Finnish women?

...yeah I can't see why either. :pac:

ye're all a bunch of perverts

Now that you mention it.....this smells of a wind up....who ever heard of a couple of Finnish girlz coming on a cultural exchange to Galway, interested in Irish men not for their bods but the bit of brogue n blarney?

It's not Finland's version of the 1st of April? Does boards do Aprils fool? Some other wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Document1

Fake girls or not, I recomend Galway to anyone wanting to come over. I myself moved here from the Netherlands about 2 years ago and I fear I am never leaving lol :D

finisklin wrote: »
    Now that you mention it.....this smells of a wind up....who ever heard of a couple of Finnish girlz coming on a cultural exchange to Galway, interested in Irish men not for their bods but the bit of brogue n blarney?

It's not Finland's version of the 1st of April? Does boards do Aprils fool? Some other wind up?

Yeah 20th of August is the national bs-day in Finland. Gotcha!

Everyone's been super helpful, I thought this thread would just get replies like "just fecking google it" but nooo, everyone has been so nice!

Document1, I'm a bit afraid that's going to happen to me too. Well not afraid, really, staying longer wouldn't be all that bad. I've never been a big fan of Finland anyway. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Thanks a lot for the tips, they're going to be very useful!! :p We do the alcohol thing back at home too, it's way too expensive to drink in clubs. I'm really considering the hostel option right now, maybe it really is easier to just wait till we get there. :)
    Wait till you get there, its a waste of time otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CYPRUSBABY

THE weather is absolutely crap in Ireland at the moment, particularly Galway. look up www.irishjobs.ie www.jobs.ie etc etc see whats going on, also look on todays edition of the galway advertiser at www.galwayadvertiser.ie (here they have a classified section towards back of paper for situations wanted etc) - yes you will need pps number, bank account, which can take up to 6 weeks here.....for these you need proof of address and being a recruiter, most employers won't accept hostels as proof of address, or i should say, revenue wont.

www.galwaytourism.net is a good website .

i would suggest gather as much money as you can and just come to Galway for a couple of weeks when something is on, the galway international oyster festival is coming up in Sept etc....

yes the night life is probably one of the best in Ireland, all within a short walk of one another, no need for taxis to get from one to another, thats probably the best thing about Galway city.....

don't bother lying to potential employers that ye're in it for the long haul, they can tell from CV that you're a student, and they more than likely go back to finish their studies etc......

try PR work, or holding signage on shop street (main pedestrian shopping promenade!!) even though i've heard the pay is pretty poor, and boring.

good luck......

typical guys looking for pics.......that's all they think about.

Xiney wrote: »
    A bunch of internet nerds falling all over themselves to help a couple of 19 year old Finnish women?

...yeah I can't see why either. :pac:

ye're all a bunch of perverts

Oh you're such a cynic Xiney :p I always advise people to come to Galway except maybe the stag/hen parties. And in fairness only one poster asked them for pics, and he claimed be helping them look for work. ok, so maybe he was a pervert :pac:

Also be careful... I ended up meeting and falling in love with an Irishman (in fairness he's lovely and very good looking, fnarr fnarr) and so I got married. I met him when I was 18 so don't think it can't happen to you!

Xiney wrote: »
    Also be careful... I ended up meeting and falling in love with an Irishman (in fairness he's lovely and very good looking, fnarr fnarr) and so I got married. I met him when I was 18 so don't think it can't happen to you!

If the other option is marrying a Finnish man, I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd choose. :p The problem is that Finnish people don't talk, not if something's wrong nor when everything's great. So yeah I wouldn't mind it happening. :pac:

And CYPRUSBABY, thanks for the tips! I'll check out the websites. :)

Haha

Well you seem very talkative. I'm sure you'll get on like a house on fire over here :)

"Faraway hills are green" suomi, that means that other places always seem more attractive than where you are at the moment. I'd love to go and live in Finland for a while! So you can come here and steal our men (like Xiney did), I'll go there and meet a nice Finnish girl in exchange, then its all fair :)

cornbb wrote: »
    "Faraway hills are green" suomi, that means that other places always seem more attractive than where you are at the moment. I'd love to go and live in Finland for a while! So you can come here and steal our men (like Xiney did), I'll go there and meet a nice Finnish girl in exchange, then its all fair :)

Haha yeah that sounds fair. I guess I understand why people want to come to Finland, I guess the four completely different seasons and the lakes and all that are exotic but yeah it's true, growing up here makes it all seem so ordinary. I once asked a girl from Malaysia that what is it like to live in a paradise and she was like "what paradise?" because to her the white sand and palm trees were like pines and... mud (? :D) to me, she was so used to them she didn't really even see them that way anymore. :rolleyes: So yeahh I get it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Document1

Reconisble for sure, LOL, the amount of Irsh people that wondered what I was doing overhere :D What can I say... I came from a country with no hills, mountains or guiness :P Only thing we have is long and boring fields of grass and cows :pac:

• Advertisement

Document1 wrote: »
    Reconisble for sure, LOL, the amount of Irsh people that wondered what I was doing overhere :D What can I say... I came from a country with no hills, mountains or guiness :P Only thing we have is long and boring fields of grass and cows :pac:

Yeah exactly, I think in some ways Ireland is the exact opposite of Finland, but then again it has some similarities too. I just love Ireland already. :p

Advertisement