Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Finnish girls coming to Galway - we need halp!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

In the off-licence where i worked in Cork until June, 2 of my regular customers were Finnish girls. They lived together across from the off-licence. They were always coming in buying cider, Koppaberg and Rekorderlig mostly. I found them very warm and nice to deal with, always smiling and laughing. They said they loved Cork and Ireland and planned to stay here for another couple of years.

So if they like it Cork, hopefully you will like Galway suomi! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

grenache wrote: »
    In the off-licence where i worked in Cork until June, 2 of my regular customers were Finnish girls. They lived together across from the off-licence. They were always coming in buying cider, Koppaberg and Rekorderlig mostly. I found them very warm and nice to deal with, always smiling and laughing. They said they loved Cork and Ireland and planned to stay here for another couple of years.

So if they like it Cork, hopefully you will like Galway suomi! :)

Oh it's nice to know Finnish people don't have a terrible reputation in other countries :D And I'll make sure to at least visit Cork, I've heard a lot about it! :)

suomi wrote: »
    Oh it's nice to know Finnish people don't have a terrible reputation in other countries :D And I'll make sure to at least visit Cork, I've heard a lot about it! :)
    I like to think of Cork as a slightly bigger version of Galway. It has lots of cosy cafe areas and trendy night spots too. It has a great social life. A really cosmopolitan city with lively pubs like the Franciscan Well Brewery, Crane Lane and The Bierhaus where you will meet people of all nationalities. Oops, i shouldn't be plugging Cork on the Galway forum. :D Well Galway is equally good, if not better because its smaller and easier to navigate.

Where ever you go....make sure you avoid Limerick City ;)

grenache wrote: »
    I like to think of Cork as a slightly bigger version of Galway. It has lots of cosy cafe areas and trendy night spots too. It has a great social life. A really cosmopolitan city with lively pubs like the Franciscan Well Brewery, Crane Lane and The Bierhaus where you will meet people of all nationalities. Oops, i shouldn't be plugging Cork on the Galway forum. :D Well Galway is equally good, if not better because its smaller and easier to navigate.

Where ever you go....make sure you avoid Limerick City ;)

Haha why? :pac: You're not the only one who has said that, I just haven't had an answer yet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

there will be a nice new FAST road around it shortly.yayooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nothing wrong with Limerick, I lived there for 6 years, although Galway would still be my first preference.

cornbb wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Limerick, I lived there for 6 years, although Galway would still be my first preference.

Haha alright maybe I won't skip it then if I go traveling around the country. :p

cornbb wrote: »

limerick29.jpg

Haha why? :pac: You're not the only one who has said that, I just haven't had an answer yet. :p
    Limerick is rough. Its not what you would call a tourist city. Its nothing like Galway or Cork. Sure it has some nice spots but these are few. A lot of scumbags populate the city and they make their presence felt. I work there so i know what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Suomi, I may have cracked your problem......why don't you do an exchange with some Irish students.....its kinda like house swap but we could call it student swap? You pick 2 Galway based students that you think are suitable (after carefully assessing them against strict criteria...nice gaff, good location, potential job lined up etc.), you go and stay in their accomodation etc and they swap with you.:cool:

So while you are in Galway they will be in Finland. They will probably have to vet you as well against similar criteria. The good thing about this idea is that you are already set up before you arrive and all going well they may have some pasty mates that have strong Oirish accents. A win win situation!

I definitely think that there is a reality tv show in this...who knows you might even get paid to star in it!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

103035256.ppY8QrvY.jpg

You cant beat Limerick. Lovely riverside city!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

My girlfriend is Finnish and she's been living in Dublin for ~9 years now.

A few tips I've picked up:
    • Don't underestimate the cold. Just because it isn't below zero doesn't mean you won't feel it. The humidity makes a big difference. My girlfriend has come home from Christmas in Finland (Kälviä) and complained about the cold here.
    • While you might find Finnish people "uptight" and Irish people more relaxed (IMHO, there's not that much difference) the flip side to that is that we're not as well organised. If you expect efficiency, you may be disappointed.
    • Forget the cider. It's not as good as Finnish cider.

Enjoy your trip.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Most Irish homes are not as well insulated as Finnish ones and in my experience Irish homes are kept at a lower temperature than Finnish ones. You may find it a bit chilly at times.

IRLConor wrote: »
    My girlfriend is Finnish and she's been living in Dublin for ~9 years now.

A few tips I've picked up:
    • Don't underestimate the cold. Just because it isn't below zero doesn't mean you won't feel it. The humidity makes a big difference. My girlfriend has come home from Christmas in Finland (Kälviä) and complained about the cold here.
    • While you might find Finnish people "uptight" and Irish people more relaxed (IMHO, there's not that much difference) the flip side to that is that we're not as well organised. If you expect efficiency, you may be disappointed.
    • Forget the cider. It's not as good as Finnish cider.

Enjoy your trip.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Most Irish homes are not as well insulated as Finnish ones and in my experience Irish homes are kept at a lower temperature than Finnish ones. You may find it a bit chilly at times.

Haha I have heard about Irish people being late all the time, and to be honest, that might take some time to get used to. I was raised to be on time wherever I go, but I guess I was raised to be flexible too. :p

When I was in Texas a couple years ago, I didn't really understand when they said that I would need a proper coat for the winter. I though that "hey, this is Texas, at summer it's +45 C, it can't be that cold at winter" But boy was I wrong. :p The humid made it freezing, it seriously did feel a lot colder than the winters here.

Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep them in mind especially when I'm figuring out whether to bring more t-shirts or sweaters. :P

And finisklin, that actually sounds like a pretty good idea. They would definitely pick me for a reality tv-show, especially because of my interesting personality and hot bo... Nah, nevermind. It wouldn't work out anyway. :p I guess I'll just have to be like any other tourist, walking around with my camera, wearing shorts in the middle of winter and pointing at everything I see. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Oh and the picture looks just like the city where I live in! If I didn't know better, I might have guessed it was taken here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Haha I have heard about Irish people being late all the time, and to be honest, that might take some time to get used to. I was raised to be on time wherever I go, but I guess I was raised to be flexible too.

Be careful.

Every society has it's expectations about what starts on time and what doesn't.

The only example I can remember right now is church (always starts right on time, if not 30 second early - one could be forgiven for thinking that everyone wants to get it finsihed ASAP). But in my first six months there, I found a few things were different to what I expected, both early and late.

Oh - and if you get a job, as a foreigner you are expected to be on time. It's ok for the Irish to be late, but if you're late it makes you look unreliable. (This might not apply so much in the types of jobs you'll be in, service-industry work tends to be rostered for everyone. But it's certainly true higher up the food chain.) [NB I'm not complaining here, just stating the fact that was explained to me, and makes sense from the things I've observed.]

JustMary wrote: »
    Be careful.

Every society has it's expectations about what starts on time and what doesn't.

The only example I can remember right now is church (always starts right on time, if not 30 second early - one could be forgiven for thinking that everyone wants to get it finsihed ASAP). But in my first six months there, I found a few things were different to what I expected, both early and late.

Oh - and if you get a job, as a foreigner you are expected to be on time. It's ok for the Irish to be late, but if you're late it makes you look unreliable. (This might not apply so much in the types of jobs you'll be in, service-industry work tends to be rostered for everyone. But it's certainly true higher up the food chain.) [NB I'm not complaining here, just stating the fact that was explained to me, and makes sense from the things I've observed.]

Yeah I know I can't just think that "oh everyone else comes in late, why should I come on time", I wouldn't do that here with other Finnish people, let alone in another country. I'll just be on time wherever I go and if someone's late, that's cool. Not my problem. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only time I've been into work on time is when I've stayed up all night and gone into work drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Suomi, you might wanna check out the Nordic forum too.

Puhutko ruotsia?

Magnus wrote: »
    Suomi, you might wanna check out the Nordic forum too.

Puhutko ruotsia?

Oh that's cool, I'll check that out! And kyllä, puhun vähän ruotsia. :p Jag är inte jätte bra. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trevligt att träffas :)

Magnus wrote: »
    Trevligt att träffas :)

Erm... du också? :pac: Too bad the Nordic forum isn't very active. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

There's a guy I've met through work that I bump into once or twice a year at trade shows and stuff and everytime we end up having a few pints, he says something like - (literal translation)

Hool-e-gan Gool-e-gan & says the Finnish equivilant of cheers - Is it?

• Advertisement

Jugs82 wrote: »
    There's a guy I've met through work that I bump into once or twice a year at trade shows and stuff and everytime we end up having a few pints, he says something like - (literal translation)

Hool-e-gan Gool-e-gan & says the Finnish equivilant of cheers - Is it?

Ahh hölkyn kölkyn! :pac: That's what we always teach to foreigners because it's harder to remember and pronounce, but actually we never say that, we say "kippis". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A lot of my friends think I'm crazy for wanting to go to Ireland because it rains a lot and people drink beer all the time etc etc.

well after spending 4 days on the beer in Tampere before for new years, i can tell you the Finnish drink as much as the Irish! youve nothing to worry about there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Hey Soumi,

I was reading the galway forum there feeling a bit nostalgic as I am now a galway person studying in Tampere. I'd say you will definately like it and maybe you will even like the beer as one thing I've noticed is Finnish beer is not the best, As Finns keep telling me.

Alcohol in general is cheeper in Galway and a "Pint" (large beer) wont set you back more than about 4 Euro in a bar but is a lot cheeper in some student bars.
    If you smoke bring your own cigerettes too as they are more than twice the price compared to Finland and well if you don't smoke I'm sure you will find someone to buy them off you.

Also one of my good friends in Galway is a Finnish girl so maybe I could let her know your coming if you would like to hear about Galway from a Finns perspective.

For me I'm enjoying things being on time, sauna, cleanest water in the world (Just google galway water :rolleyes:) Good live music, cool people and so on..On the other hand I'm not enjoying being late for things anymore :D
    Ahem, cultural of course. :p Nah, we're just coming to see what it's like and meet new people and of course hear the awesome accent :D So I'd say it's a bit both, maybe a cultural party trip? :p

What is it with this accent thing, Sometimes I feel like a trained parrot with people asking me to speak for them:D On the flipside the girls do like it ;);)

Hey Soumi,

I was reading the galway forum there feeling a bit nostalgic as I am now a galway person studying in Tampere. I'd say you will definately like it and maybe you will even like the beer as one thing I've noticed is Finnish beer is not the best, As Finns keep telling me.

Alcohol in general is cheeper in Galway and a "Pint" (large beer) wont set you back more than about 4 Euro in a bar but is a lot cheeper in some student bars.
    If you smoke bring your own cigerettes too as they are more than twice the price compared to Finland and well if you don't smoke I'm sure you will find someone to buy them off you.

Also one of my good friends in Galway is a Finnish girl so maybe I could let her know your coming if you would like to hear about Galway from a Finns perspective.

For me I'm enjoying things being on time, sauna, cleanest water in the world (Just google galway water :rolleyes:) Good live music, cool people and so on..On the other hand I'm not enjoying being late for things anymore :D

What is it with this accent thing, Sometimes I feel like a trained parrot with people asking me to speak for them:D On the flipside the girls do like it ;);)

Oh I'm glad you enjoy being in Finland! :) I don't know why everyone likes accents though! I guess it's because you don't hear the Irish accent very often. Oh and everyone here has seen PS. I Love You and it was pretty good advertisement for Irish men. ;) I personally have a huuuge thing for accents, I used to love the american accent but then I went to USA and now... meh. :pac:

But yeah I would very much like to talk to someone Finnish in Galway so maybe I could email your friend or something? It would help a lot. :) And thanks for the tips!

EDIT: Okay there's two things I've been wondering. Why do Irish people say euro instead of euros, for example twenty euro? It just sounds really weird to me and doesn't make any sense. :pac: And the other thing, I just found this radio station called... i102104. Did i get that right? :p Anyway, I've been listening to the online radio and I've been wondering if the way the hosts or whatever talk the way people in Galway actually talk? I mean is the accent the same or is it sort of accent-neutral if you know what I mean. :D And they talk waaaay too fast, most of the time I have no idea what they're talking about. The music is so not my type but whatever, as long as I get to hear some Irish talking it's all good. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

try galway bay fm :eek:

try galway bay fm :eek:

Yeah I tried that, not really my type either. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Try Mid Whest Radio....you can't go wrong! The link is here......

http://www.midwestirishradio.com/mwr/index.php

Don't get put off by the death notices....thats local Irish radio for you! :rolleyes:
    It caters for the hinterland north & east of Galway and if you love accents these will blow you away.

I remember when I spent a couple of Summer's in the states on a J1 visa, anytime we use go on the town we would put on our best country, bogger accents (aka Darby O'Gill and the Little People, the Quiet Man, The Field etc.). It worked a treat....the Americans really got a kick out of it! :D

It also helped in the pullin stakes!;)

Oh yeah the other slang version of euro is yo yos....the great thing about Galway is the inter twining of the Irish language and English. I think that will keep you on your toes.....the only thing is people may get cheesed off when you ask about wicycle, and JCBui etc. all the time!:P

I'm sure there is another thread on that somewhere...give it a search and start practising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Yeah I tried that, not really my type either. :o
    Its utter rubbish IMO!
    A few saw doctors tracks might prepare you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Why do Irish people say euro instead of euros, for example twenty euro? It just sounds really weird to me and doesn't make any sense. :pac:
    See here for far more information than you want on that topic :).

I've found that Irish people tend to say both euro and euros for amounts even though euro seems to be the accepted word for both singular and plural in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

yer man in ps i love you is actually scottish and did the worst irish accent ive heard since tom cruise in far and away!

Also galway accents are fairly neutral in the whole irish accent thing.

btw, i have a lovely irish accent! ;)

Advertisement