Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Finnish girls coming to Galway - we need halp!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

finisklin wrote: »
    Try Mid Whest Radio....you can't go wrong! The link is here......

http://www.midwestirishradio.com/mwr/index.php

Don't get put off by the death notices....thats local Irish radio for you! :rolleyes:
    It caters for the hinterland north & east of Galway and if you love accents these will blow you away.

I remember when I spent a couple of Summer's in the states on a J1 visa, anytime we use go on the town we would put on our best country, bogger accents (aka Darby O'Gill and the Little People, the Quiet Man, The Field etc.). It worked a treat....the Americans really got a kick out of it! :D

It also helped in the pullin stakes!;)

Oh yeah the other slang version of euro is yo yos....the great thing about Galway is the inter twining of the Irish language and English. I think that will keep you on your toes.....the only thing is people may get cheesed off when you ask about wicycle, and JCBui etc. all the time!:P

I'm sure there is another thread on that somewhere...give it a search and start practising.

Yeah I noticed listening to the radio that the host seems to be speaking both Irish and English, first I thought it was just the accent that I didn't understand but I guess it was Irish, it kind of sounded the same but it just didn't make any sense. :p Oh and I remember when I was in USA, they asked me to say all this stuff, they thought my accent was funny. :o
    malice_ wrote: »
    See here for far more information than you want on that topic :).

I've found that Irish people tend to say both euro and euros for amounts even though euro seems to be the accepted word for both singular and plural in English.

Okay thanks! It probably takes time to get used to hearing "ten euro" though, but whaaatever. :p I guess it'll be the least shocking of the new things I'll learn when I get there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

try radio na gaeltachta!! irish language radio http://www.rte.ie/rnag/
    click on "rnag beo" on the top right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

skelliser wrote: »
    try radio na gaeltachta!! irish language radio http://www.rte.ie/rnag/
    click on "rnag beo" on the top right

thats confusing even for me - and I'm Irish with decent enough understanding of the language (Higher level B .... when I did my leaving cert - 10yrs ago)

Also your not allowed to leave Galway without sampling a Bottle of buckfast, its tradition. actually its the law!

from the urban dictionary
    Buckie (also "Bottle of B")is short for buckfast ans is a tonic wine brewed in Buckfast Abbey.
    It claims that it is good for your health, but as it is most often comsumed by the bottle load it cannot possibly be. It is most common in Glasgow (Scotland), Edinburgh (Scotland) and in Galway (Ireland). The drink is negatively viewed in Glasgow and Edinburgh, as it is associated with neds(scumbags, thugs...). However in Galway it is a drink associated with the student population, who often engage in "bushing"(definition 2)...which is really pleasant given it is most often done by the River Corrib on a bright summer evening.
    As a wine it is extremely sweet, and has a strong fruit flavour.

"Hey, anyone up for some bushing? We can get some Buckie?"

"What are you having?"
    "A bottle of B"

you will notice this bottle on the streets of galway
    Buckfast_bottle_in_the_street.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh yeah, people outside Ireland and Scotland just don't get the accent thing.

I had a young Scots lad working for me, on a helpdesk for a slightly lemon-flavoured new IT system, with lots of older female users. He never understood just how much his lovely accent did to calm things down!

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    Also your not allowed to leave Galway without sampling a Bottle of buckfast, its tradition

Haha what's that?

Okay I listened to the radio and I think Irish sounds a bit like German and Danish and Dutch... umm... I don't know, I guess if I didn't know better I'd guess it's German. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

skelliser, do you realised you just posted a pic of GREEN bottled buckie? Go get fcuked man, Galway uses brown bottles you filthy Nordie b4stard

:pac::D

i challenge you to a duel, sir
    a duel of B!

B at dawn it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

suomi wrote: »
    Yeah I tried that, not really my type either. :o
    This is some alternative music that was started by a group somewhere in the west
    http://www.rascalradio.net/index.html

the DJ's are quite funny, but it's usually all just music

This is some alternative music that was started by a group somewhere in the west
    http://www.rascalradio.net/index.html

the DJ's are quite funny, but it's usually all just music

Ahh awesome, that's more like it! Thanks a lot :)

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, I'm from Cork but am working and living in Galway, still go home to Cork most weekends. Even though I am biased I would have to say Galway city is a nicer spot, more friendly and cosy and more pedestrian friendly at night. I love Cork but thats because I am from there and it's home to me. I'd recommend coming to Galway and perhaps getting the bus down to Cork for a few nights that ye are not working.

On the work front I can't comment really, both cities are no doubt hard hit by the recession. Can't offer any advice on accomadation either .

But to summarise Galway city would be "better" than Cork City I feel. I would deem Galway to be a much safer city too, and I am a city lad not a muck savage from the country :). I'd avoid SuperMacs in Eyre Square in Galway after the night club though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

There are a few places looking for people (especially around Quay Street, last time I was there)

But a lot of them require a fair bit of experience.

I moved to Ireland from the continent and Galway was by far my favorite place. Was happy to move there .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are a few places looking for people (especially around Quay Street, last time I was there)

But a lot of them require a fair bit of experience.
    Get your fake CV ready, it's ok to lie on them in Ireland you just have to make your lies good. Don't put astronaut on it, it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

:D
    It never fails to amaze me just how many views a thread entitled "Two Finnish girls. need help"
    gets!!
    over 5000

I wonder why:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Secoundrow wrote: »
    :D
    It never fails to amaze me just how many views a thread entitled "Two Finnish girls. need help"
    gets!!
    over 5000

I wonder why:rolleyes:
    It never fails to amaze you? Have you seen a lot of these threads then? :pac:

And anyway, the reason it gets so many views is because we're just really helpful here in Galway, why else? :P

Well it amazes me how helpful everyone is :)

And ugh now my friend is starting to consider not going because we might not find a place to stay :eek: I kind of get it though, if we had lots of money we could just stay in a hostel or something but since we're both students, we have to find a cheaper accommodation. I don't know, I'm either too much of an optimist believing that something will come up or she's too cynical, either way, she better change her mind or I have to come by myself. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 manofthemoment

Why not just come for like 1 month and not worry about money and try see as much of the country as possible. I've spent 3 month periods in different European countries but I think you can discover a lot by just travelling around and having fun.

Why not just come for like 1 month and not worry about money and try see as much of the country as possible. I've spent 3 month periods in different European countries but I think you can discover a lot by just travelling around and having fun.

That's what I'd love to do, but the problem is, I do have to worry about the money because I don't have a lot of it. :p Unless I win the lotto, I'm just going to have to count every euro I've got and go from there. :pac: Honestly I'd rather just travel around the country instead of working the whole time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

this seems like a thread I might have posted in ages ago had I known about it

edit: were there any pics so i dont have to trawl 10 pages with a semi?

DRakE wrote: »
    this seems like a thread I might have posted in ages ago had I known about it

edit: were there any pics so i dont have to trawl 10 pages with a semi?

Haha yeah well feel free to post now :pac: And no, there's no pics. :p

• Advertisement

Unless I win the lotto, I'm just going to have to count every euro I've got and go from there.

You sound like an Irish lady, it's uncanny really

RoverJames wrote: »
    You sound like an Irish lady, it's uncanny really

Haha well considering how much Irish women are dissed here, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Haha well considering how much Irish women are dissed here, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. :pac:

dissed really...I know I haven't been giving them any good press since I moved to Finland but I didnt know it was common knowledge :pac:

dissed really...I know I haven't been giving them any good press since I moved to Finland but I didnt know it was common knowledge :pac:

Well it's not, I just spend too much time on boards. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Suomi,

did you ever get to Galway or Cork? Update us on your travels.......

Suomi,

did you ever get to Galway or Cork? Update us on your travels.......

I did, I've been living in Galway for eight months now! I'm moving back to Finland soon though as finding a job here seems to be pretty impossible at the moment. Shame, Galway's great. :p

I did, I've been living in Galway for eight months now! I'm moving back to Finland soon though as finding a job here seems to be pretty impossible at the moment. Shame, Galway's great. :p

Tell us about your stay so far? What have you been doing....sightseeing, learning Irish, drinking beer?

Tell us about your stay so far? What have you been doing....sightseeing, learning Irish, drinking beer?

Well I've been doing a little bit of sightseeing, although I've only been to Galway and Dublin so far so I haven't seen much yet. I haven't learned any Irish and I haven't been drinking beer either so I'm not sure what exactly I've been doing all this time. :p Galway's a great city though, I'd love to come back sometime.

Enjoy......pity you didn't get to see us during the Celtic Tiger years.....Now that was a party! :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement