Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Parks/Boredom

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Hey guys looking for a nice park or area where I could go for a picnic with the OH.

Also I'm very bored these days and am looking for some interesting places in Dublin to go that aren't in the city centre...
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St. Anne's park in Clontarf is a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

St. Annes Park in Raheny is even nicer! :p

The dunnes on Bull Island is great, but you need really good weather, no shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

lightening wrote: »
    St. Annes Park in Raheny is even nicer! :p

The dunnes on Bull Island is great, but you need really good weather, no shelter.

The dunes on Bull Island are even greater :p

Father Collins Park in Donaghmede is worth a look, though maybe not for a quiet picnic.

Malahide Castle & grounds.

Newbridge House & grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Dublin City centre's hidden paradise is the Iveagh Gardens just off Harcourt street. A picnic by the waterfall would be amazing. Get yourself there and i promise you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Phoenix Park. Always a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

better be a 4 minute picnic though it seems to bucket down every 5 minutes these days

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    better be a 4 minute picnic though it seems to bucket down every 5 minutes these days

Good point actually, better off staying in in front of your PC all day. ;)

OP, do you have a car? Read the BBQ thread, some great spots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Dartmouth Square is nice and quiet, has free yoga on Saturday mornings too if you are feeling energetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Botanical gardens are very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    has it rainined in dublin so far in august?

Have you gotten out of bed yet today?

• Advertisement

:D

It's been fairly dry in fairness! I have been out every day with the dog, only got a little bit wet twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Are you only heading out in between rain showers ? That does't count.

lightening July and August have been appauling so far, the weather forecast every day is the same, showers with dry periods, showers, blustery, windy blustery showers, heavy rain clearning for dryer weather with showers etc.
    so you wont even take your blinkers off for the weather here? You really think this is picnic weather? Dear oh dear...

Yeah, it's been a wettish summer, wouldn't let it get to you though. I like it outdoors, I wouldn't let the odd shower get in the way! I BBQ every day, I have dogs, so I have to go out. Very rarely do I get wet, I think a lot of the rain is at night to be honest, I was out after work yesterday in a tshirt and shorts. The wind helps when I am out sailing, so, no, doesn't bother me!

Dear oh dear! ;) XX

Yeah, it's been a wettish summer, wouldn't let it get to you though. I like it outdoors, I wouldn't let the odd shower get in the way! I BBQ every day, I have dogs, so I have to go out. Very rarely do I get wet, I think a lot of the rain is at night to be honest, I was out after work yesterday in a tshirt and shorts. The wind helps when I am out sailing, so, no, doesn't bother me!

Dear oh dear! ;) XX

you should cut down on the BBQs chargrilled meat leads to cancer.
    whatever way the weather is working it seems to time itself so i get soaked cycling in and out of work, i never remember it being this bad before. And yes it is getting to me, not since the start of June have we had decent sunny summery weather!!!

ynot since the start of June have we had decent sunny summery weather!!!

Well, that's the difference between you and me. That sort of thing gets to you, doesn't get to me. You miss out on the Sunny weather, I don't. Where were you on Saturday? I got a tan!!!

I do lots of BBQ'd fish, poultry and veg by the way, thanks for your concern though.

Well, that's the difference between you and me. That sort of thing gets to you, doesn't get to me. You miss out on the Sunny weather, I don't. Where were you on Saturday? I got a tan!!!

I do lots of BBQ'd fish, poultry and veg by the way, thanks for your concern though.

cycled out to howth, it was cloudy, im starting to think you dont live in Dublin or Ireland even. The cancer thing applies to cooking of beef, pork, foul and fish btw.

Stunning day on Saturday, Howth must have had cloud on the higher ground.

Look, there is no way around this. I like Dublin, I like the climate, I like it here, you don't, can you just live with that? I can, you get on with your life in Dublin and I will get on with my great enjoyable life in Dublin having BBQ's and fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Botanical gardens are very nice.

Picnics are not allowed in the Botanic Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

The Iveagh Gardens at the top of Harcourt Street is a hidden gem and an absolute treasure. Great spot for a picnic.

• Advertisement

The Iveagh Gardens at the top of Harcourt Street is a hidden gem and an absolute treasure. Great spot for a picnic.

I was there for the Taste Of Dublin day, amazing place, there was stunning weather that day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

.. so i get soaked cycling in and out of work ..

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Back on topic .. we enjoyed a picnic on Ireland's Eye last month - approx. €10 each (return).

On Sunday, I was in the War Memorial gardens in Islandbridge for the first time - a nice park overlooking a scenic part of the Liffey.

TarfHead wrote: »
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Back on topic .. we enjoyed a picnic on Ireland's Eye last month - approx. €10 each (return).

On Sunday, I was in the War Memorial gardens in Islandbridge for the first time - a nice park overlooking a scenic part of the Liffey.

wearing raingear over your normal clothes in this weather makes for a very sweaty worker! anything more than a t-shirt and i sweat like a pig these days

TarfHead wrote: »

Jaysus, we used to canoe or sail over there and camp out, cooking fresh caught mackerel in tinfoil on the fire. Amazing place, one of my favorite spots in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Thanks guys...
    Hope the weather clears up eventually
    Anything to do while its raining??

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Raining = car. Go for a drive in the wicklow mountains. The road out to Sally Gap is deserted bogland and stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

GeeNorm wrote: »
    Raining = car. Go for a drive in the wicklow mountains. The road out to Sally Gap is deserted bogland and stunning.
    No car unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Bugger. A day at the national museum or something of the sort below maybe.

If you have raingear(or don't mind the rain:)) then maybe Dart to Bray and walk Bray to Greystones with Dart back. Its pretty awesome

Lost in a Moment

Venue: Mill Theatre, Dundrum Town Centre
    Date: Thursday 20th Aug at 10:00 AM
    Price: Free Entry
    Description: Installation and paintings by Grainne Brady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Anto McC wrote: »
    Dublin City centre's hidden paradise is the Iveagh Gardens just off Harcourt street. A picnic by the waterfall would be amazing. Get yourself there and i promise you won't be disappointed.

Copy cat :P:D

Advertisement