Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert advice

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

I am gonna repeat the leaving cert this year and I want to know what are the points subjects in peoples opinions? I am planing on repeating 4 or 5 subjects to get the points :D. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Four or five? Don't you need to repeat six for points?
    And even if you can go less than six I wouldn't recommend it, unless you think you can get an A1 in those four or five subjects, you're cutting yourself off a lot of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

i'm repeating external and wouldn't dream of doing less than 6, your just shooting yourself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Do 6. Yeah.

A lot of repeats in my school picked up Geography, but there were feck all As. I got an A1, but I did last year too.
    It's a good'un, especially if you did it before.

Also, Ag Science? Apparently. A few picked it up in my school. And Business.

Dunno about the others, but I hear Classics is a good one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Classics is quite long, quite difficult. Not to mention the boredom. Unless you enjoy writing essays, a no no.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i repeated and did 8. wasnt that hard , picked up classis and did well, its easy. the workload isnt that bad, its revision so its not so hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Im thinking of doing a PLC and then repeating my Irish and maths leaving cert next year. Is this possible, and how does it work? IF i get a better grade than the original grade I got in the subject, does it basically just cancel it out?

Also, how do I go about signing up for this, so that im allowed repeat the exam next year?

Also, are you considered a student if you do a PLC? Like can you avail of all those offers by like AIB for student plus accounts etc?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing a PLC and then repeating my Irish and maths leaving cert next year. Is this possible, and how does it work? IF i get a better grade than the original grade I got in the subject, does it basically just cancel it out?

Also, how do I go about signing up for this, so that im allowed repeat the exam next year?

Also, are you considered a student if you do a PLC? Like can you avail of all those offers by like AIB for student plus accounts etc?

Thanks.

Yes you can repeat Irish and Maths if you're doing a PLC. The PLC Centre you're doing the course in might even have those subjects available if there is enough demand so you would have structured classes.

External candidates can get the form for applying to sit LC subjects from the Dept website. www.examinations.ie Applications have to be in by Feb 1st I think, and you also have to sort out a centre to sit your exams in, it's normally easiest just to go back to your old school and ask there. Can't remember the cost of repeating the couple of subjects.

Yes you are a student if you do a PLC. If there is something to be stamped for the bank, get the PLC College to stamp it for you when you start there.

One more quick question:
    If i do a PLC and then want to apply a course say in WIT next year, do I apply through the CAO like I did this year and use my LEaving cert points, or since I did a PLC am I entered into the list for the course with other PLC people? Like can I only take one of the places for PLC students?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

CyberWaste wrote: »
    One more quick question:
    If i do a PLC and then want to apply a course say in WIT next year, do I apply through the CAO like I did this year and use my LEaving cert points, or since I did a PLC am I entered into the list for the course with other PLC people? Like can I only take one of the places for PLC students?

no you can use your lc points for it. and yes you apply through the cao by putting your lc exam number on it.
    have you over 400points? thats the max ya can get with plc.

No i Got just under 300, should have got my course, but my maths grade let me down. Im going to repeat just maths next year I think, and do a PLC also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Does anyone have anything to say on deciding between the Institute and St. Laurence College in Loughlinstown?:confused:

Any advice from anyone who can speak from personal experience of either of the two would be greatly appreciated!

Also - anyone happen to know when they start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I know the institute starts on the 16th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shane_from_dub

Ive been to both , The tute for 5th and 6th and st. Laurences for "7th year"

In my opinion it depends on the student , if your well motavated and have €7k burning a hole in your pokket go to the institute , the teachers are better and the notes if used properly are a useful asset.
    St. Laurences has mandatory study in the evinings till 7:30 / 8:00 pm mon - thurs
    and a study schedule is given out at weekends with 10 - 14 houres to be filled out ... the teachers a very good however you are treated alot like a child whereas the institute treats you as a college student
    It's very easy to fall through the cracks in the institute , if you dont want to go to class , you dont !
    St. Laurence is more observent with regard to attendance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I am gonna repeat the leaving cert this year and I want to know what are the points subjects in peoples opinions? I am planing on repeating 4 or 5 subjects to get the points :D. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to do six subjects, tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 lcwat2do??

if you repeat at the same school can you do all subjects again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lcwat2do?? wrote: »
    if you repeat at the same school can you do all subjects again

In theory you can, but one of the subjects you did for your LC might not have been offered to the year behind you, so you wouldn't have a class to attend. It won't stop you doing the exam though. Also because subject choices can vary from year to year two subjects you did this year might be on at the same time for the year behind you. Ask in the school. But you can sit any subject again whether or not the school is offering it.

Advertisement