Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ortiz Vs. Coleman at UFC 106?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

A bout that UFC president Dana White in July mentioned as possible is apparently now official as reports have surfaced that Tito Ortiz (15-6-1 MMA, 14-6-1 UFC) will meet Mark Coleman (16-9 MMA, 7-4 UFC) at UFC 106.

Fighters Only magazine was the first to report the deal as complete, citing sources close to Coleman, and MMA Authentics executive Mike DiSabato, a sponsor of "The Hammer's," has since posted additional confirmation on his Twitter account.

UFC 106 is scheduled for Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The bout will be Ortiz's first since May 2008, a period marked by often-malicious negotiating tactics by both the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" and the UFC. The popular Ortiz will be seeking his first win since an October 2006 TKO of Ken Shamrock. The 34-year-old has gone 0-2-1 since that win, suffering losses to Chuck Liddell and Lyoto Machida while settling for a draw against Rashad Evans.

Coleman will be looking to build on a July win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100. The victory was Coleman's first since a February 2006 win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua under the PRIDE banner – and his first in the UFC's octagon since a February 1997 submission win over fellow UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn.

Ortiz's return to the UFC was officially announced in a July media call, at which point the former champion said he and White had forever put their differences aside.

"Dana came to me ... and apologized to me," Ortiz said. "For me personally it was about competition. (The UFC) is the best show in the world. That's why I'm here."

Poor Coleman!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Poor Coleman!!!

Rich Coleman more like, fighting Tito in the main event is a big jump from fighting in prelims. Obviously despite being as tough as old shoe leather I don’t give Coleman much of a chance but Tito post major back surgery is an unknown quantity. The build up should fun at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

rovert wrote: »
    Rich Coleman more like, fighting Tito in the main event is a big jump from fighting in prelims. Obviously despite being as tough as old shoe leather I don’t give Coleman much of a chance but Tito post major back surgery is an unknown quantity. The build up should fun at least.

I can't see it as the main event but as you said it should be fun plus I am a Ortiz fan so it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I wouldn't underestimate Coleman. He looked much better in the Bonnar fight than the Rua fight. Another few months of Xtreme Couture and he will be in even better shape.

He has better wrestling skills than Tito, and both of them are probably the same when it comes to stand up, so I can see this going the distance.

I actually think this could be a good fight. The hammer has been a pretty game fighter since moving to 205.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

I'm just looking forward to see Ortiz back. Should be a good fight, ground and pound heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

Can't see Ortiz winning by GnP, he never got Couture down and as far as i'm aware Coleman is a better wrestler than Couture. I reckon Tito will avoiding the take-down batter Coleman in the stand-up. Tito's Striking is very under-estimated just because he doesn't KO people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Coleman is the grandaddy of GnP, they both were excellent at it during their hayday. Coleman is a strong guy still for his age , a big guy at LHW too, it'll be interesting to see how Tito comes at this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ortiz is going to work him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lord Muck wrote: »
    Coleman is the grandaddy of GnP, they both were excellent at it during their hayday. Coleman is a strong guy still for his age , a big guy at LHW too, it'll be interesting to see how Tito comes at this

This being the main word :pac:
    I can see Tito winning by GnP in the 3rd round.Titos always been a cardio machine and I cant see Colemans holding up against him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If the surgery has helped Tito's back as much as he needs then his gas tank is going to be back and i see him grinding Coleman down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Sammy83

I heard rumours about this a while ago...

My thoughts are that Coleman will gas after the first round (as always) and if Tito can regain even a fraction of his previous conditioning form, he should be able to submit / GnP in the 3rd Round.

Interestingly enough... Rumours are rife that Velasquez is now injured and is out of UFC 104....

Leaving a title shot for Carwin @ UFC 106.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I suggest you watch the Bonnar Coleman fight.

Bonnar was the one whos cardio was hurting them the most imo

dunkamania wrote: »
    I suggest you watch the Bonnar Coleman fight.

Bonnar was the one whos cardio was hurting them the most imo

I was gutted they didnt show this fight. But with regards to Colman Ortiz , It will be an interesting fight. I would pick Tito over Coleman but Tito has not faught in a long time.
    Interesting styles though , some good old fasion Punching and Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Sammy83 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough... Rumours are rife that Velasquez is now injured and is out of UFC 104....

Leaving a title shot for Carwin @ UFC 106.

I heard this too. I didnt really give Cain a chance though. Think Carwin by KO in the 1st round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

yeah its definately confirmed that carwin vs lesnar is on for ufc 106 with velasquez fighting the winner.

should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

This makes for a 2 very entertaining fights

There will be some major wrasslin goin on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

danlen wrote: »
    yeah its definately confirmed that carwin vs lesnar is on for ufc 106 with velasquez fighting the winner.

should be interesting

It's not "definitely confirmed". One site says that a source says that the fight's on. Other sites can't get confirmation of it from their sources

Advertisement