Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mater degree really religious?

• 19-08-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi! Been on this before but thought I'd refresh my question :o
    Do the Mater Dei degrees place a huge emphasise on religion, i mean is religion the major subject studied? Cheers! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's fairly heavy on the old religion, yes.
    It's a very good teaching degree though.

I graduated from there a million years ago. At our 20th reunion, it turned out very few of us were still teaching religion. Most had gone into special needs, or guidance or other newer subjects (CSPE, ESS, SPHE and the like).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

spurious wrote: »
    It's fairly heavy on the old religion, yes.
    It's a very good teaching degree though.

I graduated from there a million years ago. At our 20th reunion, it turned out very few of us were still teaching religion. Most had gone into special needs, or guidance or other newer subjects (CSPE, ESS, SPHE and the like).

I'm doing Irish & Religious Studies, ya know much about it spurious?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm too long out of it really and to be honest I never really went back from the day I left.

Would that entitle you to teach Irish? If it would that's a nice combination of subjects. Their education course is very good - or at least it was when I was there. We were doing stuff back then that is only flavour of the month now - active learning, assessment for learning - all that sort of stuff.

Advertisement