Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone switched from ESB to Airtricity?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

With a supposed 13% saving on my esb bill and the greener aspect of getting electricity from wind turbines for these reasons - it's very tempting to 'make the switch', so..

I'm just wondering did anyone actually leave esb to go to airtricity and what has their experience been?

Like do you have to use more candles now and bang the tele back on because the electricity supply is so weak in comparison to the volts esb provides ?

Also - are there any hidden costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

hi
    I made the switch, did it all online, no hassle with them at all and that is 2 or 3 months now....even with the fine weather and no wind ;)

bill is split across 12 months at the same price based on current payments and then checked at the end of the year or something to see if you have actually used less or more..i think the more readings you make the more accurate your monthly bill will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks JB,
    so you've noticed no difference at all in your electricity supply between esb and airtricity??

also - do you just take your readings from the same meter you had for your esb?

and what do you mean by 'you pay the same each month based on what you're currently paying?'

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Thanks JB,
    so you've noticed no difference at all in your electricity supply between esb and airtricity??

also - do you just take your readings from the same meter you had for your esb?

and what do you mean by 'you pay the same each month based on what you're currently paying?'

thanks!

no difference at all - the switch over was seamless. just like changing phone provider (except much better).

exact same meter.

well basically i chose the option to pay the same amount each month instead of bimonthly differing bills - so i know how much i need to pay each month. as i said it should change up or down (probably down) the more readings I enter into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op your electricity will still be coming from esb generators and airtricitys turbines if you pay your bill to esb customer supply or airtricity. Everything and all customers are connected to the same grid.

By choosing to move to airtricity you are supporting wind turbines rather than having a direct electrical feed from them. So your voltage will still be the same as it always was. If you power fails you will have it repaired by esb networks, who repair it if you are with airtricity or if you are with esb customer supply or bord gais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johnjaysus

I moved my mother and myself over to Airtricity early this summer (April and May).

Yesterday I got my first request for a meter reading, when I was submitting the reading I checked my a\c with Airtricity and it is showing as in credit by the full amount I have paid them via direct debit since May.

I checked my mother's too and there are no 'bills' on her a\c either, and only one DD payment is showing.

I logged a call with their customer service desk online but have heard nothing back from Airtricity.

Anybody having a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

There are savings to be had by switching, no doubt about it. Bear in mind though that they are only guaranteed to undercut ESBCS rate up to this forthcoming Easter afair.

There are two issues I'm coming across repeatedly from customers of both BGE and Airtricity. The first is the billing system, which appears to be very haphazard, and the second which should hopefully apply to none of you, which is that if you do fall into difficulties, you will receive very little tolerance from these new suppliers.

Anyway, this is more into the realm of consumerism, but afaik, in relation to the energy you consume, BGE are awaiting new generating capacity in Aghada in order to crunch their figures (gas generation obviously), whereas Airtricity fell foul regarding their advertising strategy recently and had to clarify it somewhat, however they do indeed support, and purchase where they can "cleaner" energy.

Advertisement