Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security for gun owners

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Mate of mine has a sticker reading 'Danger - High Voltage. Do not attempt to remove' with lightning symbols etc. stuck it to his safe. When the FO came to inspect his safe he explained that there was a pressure switch in the wall behind the safe that sent the whole lot live if it was pulled out a quarter inch from the wall. The FO wasn't too impressed but declined the invitation to test the strength of the bolts:D If I was a burglar I wouldn't risk it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MIDLAND

guns4fun wrote: »
    I once seen a guys safe where he installed it in his attic then built up each side with those small red bricks and cement,basically a room within a room.
    when he moved he had to leave it behind because it was impossible to remove.

thats exactly what i done , red bricks, cemented around box , 6 raw plugs with hilti sealent,
    box is in a walkin warbroke, clothes hanger rail in front of box, then a dummy wardrobe door , then a main internal door (locked) house alarmed of course,

mid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Since we are talking about doors, if you are getting new doors and frames in your house, insist on a solid frame rather than one with "applied stops".

A solid frame is machined from a solid lenght of timber, giving the door someting strong to close against.

One with applied stops is just a frame made from a flat lenght of timber, door is hung, and stops/jambs are pinned on afterwards.

These would open if you fell against them let alone offer any resistance to a kickin from your local scumbag.

Not the biggest security improvement you can make, but every second you delay the thief helps!

P.S. Make sure the gap between the frame and ope (the one that the architrave covers) is packed solid. This is most important right at the level of the lock. I've came across doors at work (carpentry, not burglary!) that could be opened with a slight push seperating the frame from lock, even when locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Poured 14/18''reinforced conc walls for my gun room,not finished yet but theft/bomb proof imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

pajero2005 wrote: »
    You could also go the extra mile and take off the door handles on the inside of each room. This will mean the thief will have nothing to grab and pull to try force open the door (if it is opening towards him, if it opens away from him the rebate on the frame will stop that.)

ever hear of a cro-bar,. I' not a thief but unless you have some seriously solid internal doors (not pine, red deal or an engineered laminate) ihave em opened in lees than a minute Internal doore usually have only two lever lock which aren't worht a damn for security after a thief went through you'r house you'd have to replace all your internal doors:mad: ,give me a call I'd give you a good quote in replacing them:Dexcept i wouldn't travel as far as your place:D:D

• Advertisement

[quote=

And B'man and Grizzly had excellent points there - if you're off for a fortnight, just leave the lot in the local dealers. If you'd put your dog in a kennel for the fortnight, why not do something similar for your firearms?[/quote]

I always thought that would be standard practice in regards to owning guns especially if you were away for anything more than a weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

4gun wrote: »
    I always thought that would be standard practice in regards to owning guns especially if you were away for anything more than a weekend
    Depends on how good your security is. ;)

There's also the whole transporting quantities of firearms from your house to the main street of whatever town you live near and carting them surrepetitiously down the street and into the shop... not. :eek:

rrpc wrote: »
    Depends on how good your security is. ;)

There's also the whole transporting quantities of firearms from your house to the main street of whatever town you live near and carting them surrepetitiously down the street and into the shop... not. :eek:
    most people according to a recent poll have only 3-4 guns and if your that confident about your home security why bother with this thread:rolleyes:

most people according to a recent poll have only 3-4 guns and if your that confident about your home security why bother with this thread:rolleyes:
    I'm not most people :D

To give people advice of course ;)

most robberies are opportunistic for startersl ike Sparks said earlier, the small percentage that are not well they know exactly what is inside your house and when to get it . If you house is targeted by a professional burglar he already has a market for the items that he's going to take .If he wants your vast collection of heavy, cumbersome target and hunting rifles, he'll knock at the frout door armed with a sawnoff. The theft of guns from a house is by and large done at random if they took your gun safe i'd bet they would have been disapointed to find only guns inside :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm not most people :D

To give people advice of course ;)
    I know, most people stoped using a negative at the end of a sentance ..oh.. like, ten years ago :D
    and I was only giving my opinion..:rolleyes: of course

I know, most people stoped using a negative at the end of a sentance ..oh.. like, ten years ago :D
    That wasn't the end of a sentence, it was the beginning of a new one. Dratted shift key wasn't working ;)

"....not." :D

"....not." :D
    You're misquoting me. There was a space :mad:

:D

You're misquoting me. There was a space :mad:

:D
    .. yeah... yeah ....yeah:D
    had an extra full stop too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

,give me a call I'd give you a good quote in replacing them:Dexcept i wouldn't travel as far as your place:D:D

I'd say after about 9 years at it I'd manage hanging a door by now but thanks anyway :D

Advertisement