Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Feet

• 19-08-2009 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

No longer like my job but it pays well, have a young baby, applied for a masters and yesterday got accepted - now i'm getting cold feet.

Options:

1) Quit job, do masters (1 year taught masters in law, technology & governance)

2) Forget masters, plug away in crap job, hope things will improve

3) Get 'sick' take advantage of generous employers sick pay and do masters whilst 'ill', then return to work until i find something better?

Is the last one immoral - probably. Is my employer immoral - definately.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What about a night course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

ask yourself what you will achieve with the masters, like how will it change things. you'd be surprised how little a masters can actually do for your career, particularly a taught one. if you have a lot of experience in your current field maybe try get a better job somewhere else, or even work in another country for a year. far more valuable than a masters imho.

EDIT: oh, congratulations by the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Long Onion wrote: »
    No longer like my job but it pays well, have a young baby, applied for a masters and yesterday got accepted - now i'm getting cold feet.

Wear some slippers..

Wear some slippers..

Sorry, even i can't give you that one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Options:

3) Get 'sick' take advantage of generous employers sick pay and do masters whilst 'ill', then return to work until i find something better?

Option 1 = Honest

Option 2 = You obviously don't want to do

Option 3 = Fraud

So unless your job entails doing something illegal I'd go with Option 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Do the masters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're financially able to support a child while not working for a year, then the choice is obvious.

Dump em all and head to Barbados.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Options:

A coma in a darkened room with no visitors allowed is the best way to go.
    You can then make a few quid from the tabloids after miraculously being woken up by a recording of the celebrity of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Rule 1 when considering commiting fraud against your employer: DON'T POST IT ON THE INTERNET

Go do your masters, you know its the right option.
    Good luck with it.

and buy some warm socks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

You should buy a gun and kill everyone....thats what I'd do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

mickos wrote: »
    Rule 1 when considering commiting fraud against your employer: DON'T POST IT ON THE INTERNET

Rule 2: Do not get caught!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I get cold feet.. but I've got Raynaud's syndrome :(

You should buy a gun and kill everyone....thats what I'd do

would you kill yourself afterwards or would you take the rap and do your 6 months community service like a real man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

genericguy wrote: »
    would you kill yourself afterwards or would you take the rap and do your 6 months community service like a real man?

I'd take the service, sure you'd be done in 4 for good behaviour anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't like any of the options.

Why not become a astronaut? Or a fire engine driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I would genuinely love to do the Master's but this one specifically, none of the night courses appeal to me. My main worry is that, whilst I'd be ok financially for the year, i'd be worried about finding new work with the mortgage of Damocles hanging there.

To those of you worried about the fraud thing, I don't think I'd do it at all due to Karma but it's good for the 'outraged ones'

*psst, my real name isn't Long onion at all hehehehehehe*

fúck it, have eleven more kids and you won't need to work or pay a mortgage.

Advertisement