Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UBS World Pricing Survey

Options
  • 19-08-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

The latest UBS world pricing survey has been released and is quite interesting reading for those with a consumer interest.

Overall, Dublin fares very well when a combination of prices, wages & tax levels are combined.

In addition to the fun (but very realistic) Big Mac Index, there's also the Ipod Nano index, a kilo of bread index and a range of more indepth pricing comparisons.

Link to the report is on the UBS website http://www.ubs.com/1/e/wealthmanagement/wealth_management_research/prices_earnings.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really a Consumer Issue - moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mcaul wrote: »
    The latest UBS world pricing survey has been released and is quite interesting reading for those with a consumer interest.

Overall, Dublin fares very well when a combination of prices, wages & tax levels are combined.

In addition to the fun (but very realistic) Big Mac Index, there's also the Ipod Nano index, a kilo of bread index and a range of more indepth pricing comparisons.

Link to the report is on the UBS website http://www.ubs.com/1/e/wealthmanagement/wealth_management_research/prices_earnings.html

It seems to me after a quick glance, that there are a lot more capitals in Europe that are a lot more competitive than Dublin, the effect of which will be seen when the money starts flowing again. If Ireland doesn't get its arse in gear, the money won't be flowing in this direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

From reading it more comprehensively, we're not too bad off on our island.

We have the 4th highest net salary of all cities surveyed and our purchasing power based on local net income paying local prices for goods and services is in the top 10.

What I do like about the UBS survey is, it is always the most current of all surveys with most data taken from last April whereas some surveys are 18 months old before they are published.

BTW, I'd avoid Mexico with just 6 days holidays a year for employees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mcaul wrote: »
    From reading it more comprehensively, we're not too bad off on our island.

We have the 4th highest net salary of all cities surveyed and our purchasing power based on local net income paying local prices for goods and services is in the top 10.

What I do like about the UBS survey is, it is always the most current of all surveys with most data taken from last April whereas some surveys are 18 months old before they are published.

BTW, I'd avoid Mexico with just 6 days holidays a year for employees :D

We might be doing ok for high salaries (the ones who've still got jobs), but the figures don't offer much incentive to foreign businesses considering which country to set up in.

The Kerry Group's got a place in Mexico. I wonder why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Kerry Group's got a place in Mexico. I wonder why?

Kerry Group are everywhere these days......

http://www.kerrymexico.com.mx

• Advertisement
Advertisement